Advice Please

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by kinetic, Jun 7, 2005.

1. kinetic

kinetic Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of upgrading my system with a new mobo, CPU and RAM. I currently have a X800XT AGP card and obviously I will be keeping this. I want to stay with AMD so what's the best combination given my £500 budget? Also, should I stick with my Antec TruePower 430 watt PSU or upgrade? Thanks in advance!:)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

what do you currently have? and why are you upgrading, performance issues?

without knowing what you own, id go for the AMD 64 3500+ and a nice set of OCZ 3200 5-2-2-2 1T 1 gig, that should set you back 400 quid of your budget with both around 200 each. The PSU is fine wouldnt touch that. The mobo, well the DFI NF4 SLI is a good board and gives you the option of SLI if you wanted, but it might put you slightly overbudget.

EDIT, just see you are on AGP, oopies. id go for one of the asus mobos or sell the AGP card and put part of your budget into a PCIexpress card.

confused now? good my job is done :p

3. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

MSI k8N neo2 Platinum, Athlon 3200+ and some dual channel Geil Valueram @ 2.5-3-3-6. Should cost you £90, £130 and £70 (1gb) respectively. Thats only £290 which means you can keep the rest in a savings account until christmas when you can sell the whole lot and go PCI-E.:) .

Ps I have all those components above including the graphics card and it's more than capable of ripping through any game/program available now.

4. Drakon

Drakon New Member

I would look into the Ballistix pc3200 ram. They're pretty good and seem to be capable oc'ers, although I haven't really pushed them. I believe Veridian did a review on them... Check out the DH review.

5. kinetic

kinetic Well-Known Member

Advice taken. Thanks.