AGP Voltage from 1.5 to 1.6?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by MikeDaMan, Jul 28, 2005.

1. MikeDaMan

MikeDaMan New Member

I got my Radeon X850XT PE today and am very excited about it. I do still get occasion lockups in my system when playing games. Still not sure what it is but did some research and heard that it may help to increase the voltage of the agp slot from 1.5 to 1.6. Is this true and can I do this without having to worry about damaging the card?

2. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

I wouldn't, I've never managed to see any benefit from increasing agp voltage from stock.

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Leave it at 1.5....increasing the volt will produce more heat,perhaps shorten the lifespan of the card.

I always seen this as a option for the extreme overclockers imo.

4. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

1.6V is fine try it... Some boards don't feed the correct voltage or enough current
    for exaple 1.5V the board could be feeding it only 1.4 to 1.49V ... In such a case
    setting it tp 1.6 actually will provide 1.5V to 1.59V

Shouldn't hurt anything to try or use if if fixes you problem other wise put it
    back at 1.5

What power supply are you useing?

5. MikeDaMan

MikeDaMan New Member

I have an Antec 400W Power Supply. Think thats enough?

6. The_Neon_Cowboy

Probubly a little weak does you label match this (the one I found on newegg)
    +3.3V @ 22A, +5V@21A, +12V1@10A, +12V2@15A, -12V@0.3A, +5VSB @ 2A

It may or may not be the route of your problem .....but...
    For the Newer / top end cards it reccomended you have at least 22A on the 12V rail.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  7. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

Yes Cowboy is exactly right in saying this, it won't fry your card. But to also take in the points of the others, you won't see any additional benefits from doing this and it will more then likely shorten the life of your card. When your dealing with a newer card like the one you have.. you should (don't absolutely have too) get a new PSU with the recommendations of what Cowboy was talking about. Also if your computer is crashing it might not be your video card, it could possibly be your cpu or memory. Grab a program called Memtest and benchmark your system for instability, usually run the program for @ least an hour or more and see if there are any problems. Do us a favor and give us all your specs of the computer in question and if your overclocking anything.

Peace ;)

8. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

I think that's 22A combined on all the +12V rails... that's one of the lower estimates I've seen though.

9. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I suggest picking up a 500W supply just to be on the safe side.

10. SexPistoL

SexPistoL New Member

Call me Mr thicky but..........Why up the voltage to 1.6, if it dont get any benefits ?

11. MikeDaMan

MikeDaMan New Member

I appreciate your help guys! The model of the power supply is http://www.directron.com/sl400.html

I'm not overclocking anything, I ran memtest before for only a couple hours but without any problems found. Hopefully it's just the power supply, If it is, may some of you point me to something that will work a bit better I was looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153015 but not sure if thats too much or a good buy.

Thanks again for all your help!

12. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

That PSU looks good to me Mike, and with the 560 you won't need to upgrade anytime soon.

Good luck & Peace ;)

13. daedal

daedal Uber Coffee Drinker

In some cases, the motherboard may not be supplying enough power to the Video card causing it to lock up and freeze. In that case, you would up the voltage a notch in order to feed it what it needs to run. The same process can been seen when overclocking a CPU - the higher the CPU speed, the higher the voltage to it will most likely be in order to keep it stable.

14. SexPistoL

SexPistoL New Member

Thx daedal, got it now :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  15. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

PSU looks good, though I'm not a big fan of Thermaltake. However, I have no experience with their supplies.

16. The_Neon_Cowboy

I'm not sure on PSUwith 12v1/12v2 I just know that should be at lest 22A on the
    12V rail . I had read it as 24 before but I've seen one of the reps or tech people
    from like OCZ (or other) on this forum telling users that... For the newer cards IE
    X800/6800you should have at least 22A.

AS for the video card I'm not one to worry. If it fails durening warenty period wich
    is like 3 or 5 years they'll fix it or replace it.Most people will sell thier card and
    upgrade before the warrenty runs out anyways too. ard last a verry long time If you
    don't overclock them. I've got one of the 1st radeons here its about 5-6 years old now.
    Older cards I sold off were 6-10 years old but I'm keeping the radeon as a keepsake
    + it still runs alot of stuff.

As I took it the way he said it as the system ran fine before he got his new card. So I
    came to the concusion the boards not feading it enough voltage or the PSU is to weak.
    I got crashes when I upgraded turned out to be my 400W PSU had a low 12V rail rateing
    Bought a cheap 450 rosewill. All is well....I can't personally see spending $100 on a PSU
    when a $30-$60 (useally) does the job nicely asumeing you shop wisely... But If you want
    the vesry best it costs...

17. MikeDaMan

MikeDaMan New Member

Yea I guess I'll look around a little before I spend the hundred bucks. Now what if the power supply has like 12V/35A would I be much better going with this versus the 12V/22A?

I've seen a couple cheaper ones with say 33A or 35A on the 12V rail

18. MikeDaMan

MikeDaMan New Member

Hey guys sorry to bring up old posts to the top. But I'm going to be ordering the new power supply tomorrow (friday) and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this brand and model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182010

It looks like it's more than enough for what I need and cheaper than that thermaltake one. Is it worth it?

Thanks again for everyones help with this one