AGP vs PCI-Express

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Chapell123, Feb 17, 2005.

1. topbob

topbob New Member

another 5 years, you'll want a pci-e system, right now, i have a AGP x800 Pro thats only running on 4xagp, and it runs HL2, perfectly.
    keep that in mind.

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

But, if your in his shoes, and you are buying a new system, would you buy an AGP system that kills everything now (and won't be around in 2 years), and still have to buy a new PCIE system in 2-3 years cuz you can't upgrade your AGP one anymore? Or, go with the safer bet and buy a PCIE system so that you can upgrade it at some point? PCIE will be around far longer than AGP.. far far longer.

Either way you look at it AGP vs PCIE isn't the only issue. CPU is too. In Intels case with Socket 775 processors most boards are 99% PCIE based. For AMD 939 processors the case is a little different. You have so many different chipsets that support AGP and PCIE, so your decision gets a little tougher. That said, PCIE IS the current future format for graphics cards. Those will be the formats that new cards will be release to first. Also remember that they are not the only device that PCIE is for. Don't forget about the other 1x PCIE slots these boards come with for other devices that will start to come out. Like I said before, if you asked this quesiton last year you would have gotten the exact opposite response from me, but now that PCIE is here, and now that newer 775/939 boards are out with PCIE 16x/1x slots on them, that is the way I would go now.

Ultimately it's Dyres' decision. All I can say is wiegh all the pros and cons, the pricing, and what future upgrades you may see yourself needing or wanting. Take your time, don't be pressured by salesman or friends, and in the end you will make the right decision.

3. topbob

topbob New Member

tipstaff is right, if you were to buy a new system today, i always say buy things so they have the ability to upgrade later, pci-e is the new bus that will be used, so i suggest going with it.

4. OOAgent

OOAgent New Member

ive read all your replies and i do appreciate all your help. im not going for the best deals on everything, i know that quality>price but you should try to get bargains when you can. anyway with the harware ive chosen is all 5 star ratings. like the PSU for example: of course it has a cheap price and and iffy seller name like POWMAX but look at the reviews for them. they are all good. same with the mobo, im not trying to get the cheapest deals but i need a mobo with 4 dimm slots for my RAM (2x 512mb ans 2x 1gb, both pc3200) and thats a board that got all good reviews and the people that bought it seemed to have no problems with it.

5. Drakon

Drakon New Member

if u have the money for a new pci-e vid card, then go ahead and get a pci-e system. for myself, i stuck to agp, mainly because i couldn't afford switching over the pci-e at this point in time. later this year, i'll just get a x800xt or x800xt pe if the price is reasonable and this system should last me for at least 2 yrs...:)

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Almost the same situation here Drakon. Intel sent us a few test D915GAG (still have to laugh at that series number.. GAG) and D915GAV boards, and a couple 3.2Ghz CPUs right at the time I was upgrading, but there were no decent PCIE gaming cards available, and was going to be for at least 3-4 more months. Next best thing was what I purchased. Do I regret it? Sorta. Next time I upgrade my PC I'll have to start all over (hopefully in 2 years). Otherwise every damn thing I throw at it just chews through them, and spits'em out!

That's the beauty of working in this industry though. I can easily sell the PC to a customer.... after I've used and abused it that is. ;)

7. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

The average PC user doesnt know their ass from a hole in the ground and well Newegg is a mainstream site now unfortunately. That means lots of uninformed unintelligent users.

For instance the first review I see has someone recommending removing the blade guard off of the fan of that PSU.

Thats a real smart move :rolleyes:

The second review right below that which is a 3-star review has a guy saying that sometimes this PSU just doesnt have what it takes to start up properly.

He literally says it makes a different in the time to get the PC to boot depending on how many fans and stuff he has on it.

On a 580W quality PSU you shouldn't have any issues with having a few fans and lights on it. In fact almost nothing like that should change a bootup time. If thats happening then look out. That thing is probably a fire hazard waiting to happen.

Not to mention POW quite literally describes the sound that a PSU makes when they die on you.

I should know. I had 2 Antecs go up literally within a month so no Antec will ever be in one of my systems again. Powmax is much lower quality than Antec by default so that should tell you something ;)

The tried and true brands for me have been RAIDMAX, PC Power & Cooling, ThermalTake.

However the PC P&C supplies are the best of the lot. Some of the most stable PSU's I have ever seen and very well made.

8. OOAgent

OOAgent New Member

oh one last question: a 512mb card(when they come out of course) with a 3500+ wouldnt be bottlenecking my computer would it?

9. doxology83

doxology83 New Member

in my opinion you should use the 6800 because if you were going to buy the card yourself you would have been out 200 bucks, where a new motherboard wont put you out that much money, plus your getting a better video card. You cant beat that.

10. gibbon565

gibbon565 Bouncy BOUNCY!

Agreed.

11. sk3

sk3 New Member

AGP or PCI-Express ?

well, i'm kind of thinking on upgrading my current system.

I've been looking for all the boards from ASUS and MSI, trying to find something nice.

But i've been thinking about PCI-E. My current system is AGP, and as you can see in my signature my graphic card is one of the most powerfull, so i've looked forsome AGP based boards, but PCI-E boards have SATA2 and that will be very useful in the future. But i'm confused which board to choose and which plataform.

My current system specs are on my signature.

so what do i do ? :confused:

12. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Well I think your system right now is pretty kick ass - id wait until the new ATI or nvidia cards come out then contemplate a move for futureproofing.

13. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Definetely wait for a while, your system is nice. Odds are, you will be getting PCI-X, as it is becoming the new standard and replacing AGP. As for now, I wouldn't change a thing.

14. sk3

sk3 New Member

i thank you for the opinion :) i thought about it but i'm desperate to get my hands on a AMD64 :p

i'll wait, for the new graphics. I Hope AMR blasts off with SLI :p

15. Sneaky

Sneaky New Member

im in a similar situation as you, specs are:
    P4 2.8
    1024 DDR 3200
    9800 pro

and have the powerfull urge to build a a64 pci express comp, but i dont want to add more to my credit card bill, and want to have a meachine that would play TES4: Oblivion, but thats about a year away... im torn wether to buy and build now or later.

To make things worse i got too excited and i traded my 9800 pro for a x800xl, lol :D so now im stuck with a card i cant use yet, and had to downgrade my comp to a 9700 pro i had. I dont even know why i didnt think things through..so ive put my self in a little situation..i might be able to trade it back for a 9800 pro, but it could be hassle, not to mention id probably wind up trading it again for the same card by the end of the year.

So my options are, keep the card wait a year to build, or build now and use the card.
    i dont like the third option, go back and try to trade it back..

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  16. zoom314

zoom314 New Member

My next motherboard will be a PCI-E motherboard from Soltek (SL-K890Pro-939) and It will use the K8T890 Pro chipset and I'll be getting an Sapphire X800 XT PCI-E card for Use with It and an FX-57 cpu and maybe a Vapochill LS to boot. This would be an upgrade to zoom1 at most.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  17. cjohnsto

cjohnsto New Member

Stick with the AGP, PCI-X may turn out to be a waste of money for some time to come.

18. sk3

sk3 New Member

i'll wait for a while like Zardon said. My next board will be another MSI. It may be a Nforce4 Ultra because of all the SATA Connections [​IMG]

Until then, ASUS will make another powerfull board :p

19. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

ROFL.. your kidding right?

20. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Unless I got it completely wrong, that motherboard does not HAVE any PCI-express capability - just AGP and PCI.

It'll be a while before PCI-express wipes out AGP 8x, especially as there is no real performance advantage.

Motherboards for AMD have trailed those for Intel in the take-up of PCI-express - there are now PCI-express motherboards for AMD, though perhaps not for socket 754.

If you have a good AGP system now, and expect to keep it, with minor upgrades, for long enough that a current "high performance" graphics card will not be something you'd be sad to replace, then go top-end AGP.

If you're looking to the future, then hold fire, get an adequate midrange (former top of the range) AGP graphics, or upgrade to PCI-express motherboard and graphics.

It's an ill-considered "standard", but PCI-express looks like it has the momentum