AIW vs. X800 XT and 2nd PCI vid card

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by SkyBum, Oct 20, 2004.

1. SkyBum

SkyBum New Member

Im trying to make a decision for the new rig I'm building.

I was hoping to buy an X800XT PE for the system but I also need to archive about 60 hours of Hi-8 to DVD before the tapes degrade any more than they already have.

I figured the AIW X800 XT would be out by now but its still nowhere in sight and once my FX-55 arrives, I know there is no way I'll be able to continue waiting for a high end AIW. If I were to buy the non AIW card and add a PCI input card when I'm ready for the DVD project, am I making any sacrifices in quality etc? I guess I don't really understand the diffences in the various cards. Also, is there any difference between the input quality of an AIW 8500DV and what you would get with the next gen AIW's? If not I could just chuck a borrowed 8500DV in there for the project.

I'm not really into video projects but this is something that's waited far too long. I just want the best quality image from my hi-8 that I can get while still being able to meet my gaming expectations.

Any suggestions?

2. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

my understanding is that there would only be a difference in speed. If you use the 8500 AIW then thats great but it might be slower than say a 9800 AIW.

on that same note however, im guessing the largest part of the grunt work is done by the processor rather than the graphics card, so having an AGP solution would always beat out PCI.

I'm no expert here though. Thats just from what I've learned.

3. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

Since this seems to be a one-time project, I'd just use the 8500DV.
    You wouldn't notice a difference in quality for the work that you're doing, and there's no point spending extra on an AIW or PCI card, if you're not into video anyway.

4. SkyBum

SkyBum New Member

Well I guess that settles it then, I'll borrow the 8500 for my video project and not have to wait for the AIW xXXX cards to come out.

THanks.

5. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

no problem :)