AKG K99

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

In what is probably less than 2 full months, the headphones I bought, AKG K99 are now for a replacement.

The mechanism for having no pressure on the top of the head and always fit on the head without the need to pre set them, has broken. I can barely use them since they can't stay on the head.

I never once hit them, drop them or otherwise treated them badly. I am careful with my headphones.
    I managed to temporarily fix them, but no idea for how long.

I wish this was the only issue I had with them. For every day I use them they are/were the most uncomfortable paid of headphones I ever owned. Constant high pressure on the ears to the point of having to remove them every 20 min or so to release the pressure. I was hoping they would get better after a month but nothing changed. The now broken mechanism worked fine from releasing the pressure from the top of the head, but it put most of that pressure on the ears.
    The minor amount of "foam" (or whatever it is) for the pads doesn't help.

Another issue, relatively minor compared to the previous two, the materials used for the pair. If you touch them at any point, they make a very loud noise (non electrical) which amplifies to the ears to the point you can't hear anything playing through them. It's like if you pressure your ear on a piece of wood and start hitting on the wood from the other side.

Sound quality, they are/were great for their price. But that was hardly a surprise since I like how AKG headphones sound.

Build/design quality, awful.

I will have to continue to use them even like this, somehow, since I can't afford now to buy another pair, but let this post be a warning to people considering this specific model.

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Aren't they under warranty? It is mechanical damage, but not your fault. :)

3. Trusteft

The stupid design which causes pain to the ears is not a damage.
    The other one I fixed it for now, although it shouldn't be an issue to begin with.
    Yes it is under warranty but I simply don't care any more. I'm going to continue using them till I can afford to buy something else.

I just wish all those "gaming " headphones by companies which tend to be very comfortable, didn't all come with some type of stupid inline volume control which always is the first thing to break. And of course they had better sound and more neutral sound as AKG headphones have.

4. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

It might be worthwhile contacting the seller and swapping them for something else. They sound horrible.

5. KiritoSensei

KiritoSensei New Member

I am about to buy some AKG Q701s, I read that they are super comfy. Hope the Self adjusting headband dose not have a fault like them AKG k99s

6. Trusteft

Let us know either way.

All I know is I am going to try to avoid this or similar system for the foreseeable future.