Alienware M11x Notebook Review @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Feb 2, 2010.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Alienware M11x Review

Today we continue our trend of Alienware exclusives by reviewing one of the first M11x samples. With the M11x Alienware take advantage of the new GeForce GT 335M GPU with the intention of building the worlds first 11" gaming system. In this article we will be finding out if they have achieved this goal of allowing us to game on the move at 720p as well as running the system through a number of tests including 1080p playback and GPU computing tasks to establish if the system is more than just a gamers dream.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

There is no optical drive or is it my imagination? Not surprised for this size, but a Blu Ray drive for this price would be great. With the 500GB HDD, 4GB of RAM and the SU7300 CPU the price goes up to £900. Expensive for a netbook, good enough for a powerful small notebook.

In theory this is a good machine and if there are no long term problems with it, a fine buy. I would love to own one.

Thank you for the review.

3. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

As far as I am aware, Alienware will be offering a USB BD drive as a bundle option at some point. To be honest though, the machine really is trying to push downloaded content and with so many sources popping up for Music, video and games I can see why they didnt build a drive in. I personally would much prefer this chassis to a larger one which accomodated the optical drive.

4. diabiosx

diabiosx New Member

Hi 5questions,
    1 is the screen plastic covered or glass covered??
    2 Is the chassis plastic or metal?
    3 Does the Machine get hot when playing intense games like modern warfare??
    4 Do you think the machine will overheat If I play 8hours of straight gaming plugged?
    5. Can I buy rams from n3wegg at DDR3-1333mhz and install it to the machine?

thank you

5. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

not a fan...
    I will stick to my MacPro

6. Gamer#1

Gamer#1 New Member

Sounds good tp me that means hand held high power hd gaming is on its way and the sooner the better but i wont hold my breath.

7. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

This one looks great , I liked the concept of switching between integrated GPU and nvidia in order to save some power when idle. I don't know why they didn't include one of Ati 5xxx mobility with DX11 rather than nvidia's DX 10.1 , or at least is there an option when ordering to choose between nvidia and Ati.
    Still , great notebook with fair price IMO.

8. Stuart_Davidson

1) Plastic, crystal clear.
    2) Plastic (not flimsy)
    3) No, it never gets too hot to sit on your lap.
    4) No.
    5) You can install them but there is a chipset limitation (not specifiic to AW) which means they will run at 800MHz. The modules AW install are 1066MHz.

9. mac_angel

mac_angel New Member

what a load of BS. At CES they were saying that the thing loaded would be $999, or sub $1000. The article says that it starts at $799. They should show what the price is as tested. It's a laptop that starts at $799 and can easily reach $2000

10. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 New Member

I've never visited this site before, but have been following the M11x since it was announced at CES.

I had to register to let you guys know your review was spectacular. And I mean this not just as an M11x fan, but as a general reader and tech enthusiast. Your design was easy to follow, images/thumbnails were top notch, and the amount of work you put in on benchmarking and tests was far beyond I've really ever seen in such a review for a laptop. It was a great read (I've actually thread through it twice now and have checked out the pictures even more!). But I am very thankful for the time you spent on the review and I appreciate the effort you put into it.

I have the M11x on pre-order now, and aside from getting a great deal on it, I'm getting the SSD as well on your recommendation. Yay!

Finally, I want to confirm, your review model was the "silver" color option correct? I love the color as it looks more grayish and on Dell's US site it shows "Lunar Silver" although that silver looks really bright/white. I prefer the darker metallic shade you've pictured and I'm hoping that's the color that is shipping as your images convinced me to get the silver over the Cosmic Black. Oh yeah, someone mentioned speaking to an AW rep and saying there's a switch to turn off battery when in AC? Is this true?

Thanks again and I do hope you respond =)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  11. Stuart_Davidson

I would say the ideal spec is not the tested one but the better CPU, 4gb of memory and a 7200rpm drive... which is $999.

Always take pre-launch marketing hype with a pinch of salt, regardless of the company involved.

12. Stuart_Davidson

Firstly, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. We put as much effort as possible into all of our reviews so I hope you enjoy future articles if you return.

In terms of the colour, ours is Lunar Silver... as it was one of the first samples assembled by AW they might have decided on a slightly lighter shade by launch time but it should be pretty close. Could just be some exceptional lighting in their pics which are really brightening it up also.

Hopefully your order comes soon, i know you will love it regardless of the chassis shade. :)

13. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Yes , that's what I like about HH review , well organized , spam free and full of details.

14. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 New Member

thanks for your response, glad to know it was indeed the Lunar Silver. Woohoo!! Also any word on that "switch" for battery/AC?

15. Stuart_Davidson

Sorry, not sure what you mean by "Also any word on that "switch" for battery/AC?"

?

16. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Unless you go for the SSDs and a bunch of accessories (a couple of bags etc), how are you going to reach $2000?

You can get a superb system for just under $1000 (without SSDs).

Just, be glad you are not in Europe and not asked to pay double that amount just because they feel like it.

17. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 New Member

sorry I mentioned it in my original post. Someone contacted an AW rep and asked about the battery/AC power. The rep said there's a "switch" that can turn off the battery while in AC mode to preserve battery cycles since the battery is built-in.

18. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I remember there is something similar to this inside windows power management.

19. Stuart_Davidson

I have to admit, thats news to me. I shall go start hitting keys shortly!

EDIT: Looks like its FN+F2, kind of. Its like the BIOS option for overclocking. You go in there and disable charging then that key combo tells you the status in Windows, at least thats how it functions for now. (BIOS Disabled + FN/F2= Charging disabled message in Windows. BIOS enabled + FN/F2 = Battery Enabled message in Windows.)

|2A|N likes this.
  20. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 New Member

thank you for doing that! Wonder if somehow that could actually turn on/off in real-time similar to the gfx card =)