Alienware M11x Notebook Review @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Feb 2, 2010.

1. malone

malone New Member

I just ordered a m11x yay! went for a more basic package cant wait to get it probbal will be waiting for ages now :(

2. cstaats

cstaats New Member

Hey guys 'n gals,

Palm is supposedly releasing the 1.4 Pre update tonight that will enable video recording (and easy YouTube uploading) for my phone. If that all goes well, I'll post a gameplay video tonight and share the link.

Cheers,
    Charlie

3. GIG.AD

GIG.AD New Member

Can't wait!
    Just make sure it's awesome:)

4. phat_11

phat_11 New Member

Great Charlie. If you have any chance to check about the hd streaming and other heavy cpu tasks at least your impressions will be highly appreciated.

See ya around,
    Greets,
    Phat

5. oogieboogie_321

oogieboogie_321 New Member

I received my M11x Thursday and I am having problems. Alienware tech support is quite the let down... during my 3rd call I was on hold for 55 minutes.

When the system is booted I get this error message during POST:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    the battery can not be identified
    this system will be unable to charge the battery

press F1 to continue
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

The first operator had me pull the battery, hold the power button on the notebook for 60 seconds, and then reinstall the battery. When I booted the message was gone and I had a full charge... later that afternoon the error message started appearing again... and no battery.

Quite disappointed because I am sure it will take a month to get another one.

6. cstaats

cstaats New Member

oogie,

Don't feel bad. At work we use Dell exclusively for all of our laptops and what you are describing is not an M11x-only issue. We've had some old and some new batteries on our Latitudes do the very same thing. The problems are often intermittent like you described. I think that's just an issue with the way Dell computers communicate with the battery to determine charge level and battery condition.

Cheers,
    Charlie

7. cstaats

cstaats New Member

8. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

very nice review... but I'm interested on some more clarification about the statement one user made about the M11x not being able to play Starcraft 2...

is Starcraft 2 unplayable? I don't have the beta so I can't possibly know or test this claim. I must say that's a huge disappointment for me. I am trying to make the M11x my main computer (I'm a student and I move around alot) and not being able to play games like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 would be real deal killers for me.

can anyone allay my fears here?

I really like this laptop... I won't lie. I'm just really afraid that I will spend a lot of money on something that won't be able to play some of the games I'm really looking forward to, like Guild Wars 2, Kane & Lynch 2, Diablo 3, and so forth.

If games like that are out of the M11x's "league" then that's fair enough, but am I to understand that the M11x can play Crysis but it can't play Starcraft 2 well? How does that even work??

sorry guys, I'm just confused as hell.

9. skatehouse

skatehouse New Member

Nice review, i just got my M11x recently and i was wondering if you can post the modded inf of the 196.21 drivers for the 335M GT. I tried the mobility modder tool on the 196.21 drivers and it did not recognize my 335M GT card.

Thanks

10. cstaats

cstaats New Member

Hey dark,

I'm downloading the Crysis demo and I'll post a vid on YouTube once I get it installed. The one comment I saw regarding SC2 was in beta, so bear in mind that the graphics engine may not be fully optimized yet, both from Blizzard's side and nVidia's.

Cheers,
    Charlie

11. noxplague

noxplague New Member

I got my m11x about a week ago and everything is going great. I have the su7300, 4gb ram, and a self installed Intel x-25m 160GB ssd. I used Acronis True Image to copy my alienware image so I would have the very pleasant custom build.

For anyone wondering what an SSD does for performance, it makes your computer boot in under 30 seconds. It makes levels load 5x as fast. Worth it? I think so...

Also my overclock is 1.73. I was very impressed to see this. My CPU runs at about 50 -54 C when 100% CPU load. Even for a laptop I think this is well within reason.

I've played a few games using HDMI out on my 40" Samsung LED with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Sound out via HDMI worked without any modifications.

So my question is about Empire Total War. The text in the game is blurry and unreadable at the native resolution. I tried a few other widescreen resolutions and I tried changing most of the graphics settings to no avail. Does anyone know of a fix? Are others noticing games with unreadable text? I remember reading that Mass Effect 2 was having issues with non HD displays, but isn't 1366 x 768 basic HD (I realize 1900 x 1080 is better, but I thought 720 was your base HD). Thoughts, hints?

12. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

What is your operating system? I haven't done it in years, but if you change the font effects for Windows (used to be desktop properties and then under appearance and effects IIRC) for usage of cleartype (on or off), it would have effect on games that had problems with fonts.

13. Sunkistleo

Sunkistleo New Member

Hey Darkdomino! I agree with Charlie`s coments @ #250.& I hope it will be better when the game is on sell.& as what BlueMak had said,we can always lower the resolution or the details.In fact , the review about playing SCII with M11X said that on Medium settings,the FPS was 27 to 30 .
    Without I3/I5 cpus,we can see that the M11X is just like a XBox portable,(in fact it`s much better in gaming),most of chinese alienware fans are waiting for the next M11X with I series cpu.But such a long time(even don`t know how long it will be) waiting will kill me.And I don`t care the SU7300 as I already have a desktop with I7-920/nVidia GTX275/6G DDR3@1333MHz,I just want a easy-moving laptop which can play SCII anywhere,kaka~~
    I am still waiting for my M11X.Maybe it`s on the ship from China to U.S as someone said that all M11Xes are made in China,and then be posted back to China.What a pity!But I still prefered to order it from US.Dell because in China,the price of M11X is RMB12399 with SU7300/4G Ram/320G HDD,about 1800 dollars,without any accessories like bags or optical drives and so on.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  14. ognuDdeJ

ognuDdeJ New Member

Can you please test out the battery life on your build? I think the stock Samsung SSD has a power consumption rating of 1.5W active and .15W idle and the Intel SSD's are rated at 150mW active and 75mW idle. Im wondering if that makes a difference. How long does your set up last on a single charge???

15. noxplague

noxplague New Member

Ok, so I have yet to use the laptop NOT overclocked. I just use the overclock 24/7. I also leave the discrete gfx on 24/7. My Win 7 Battery manager in the balanced mode says 4hr 10 min with 92% battery remaining.

The only serious battery usage I've done is while gaming. Empire Total War, Rome Total War, Oblivion, TF2, and in all those cases I got 2 -3 hours.

If I turned off the overclock and the discrete graphics I think it would do 6+ hours.

ognuDdeJ if you have tool that I could leave running over night I would be happy to, but I don't have time (aka Job) to test anything else.

I have Lavalys Everest 5.3 benchmarks for the SSD and overall system if people want those. I was stupid and bought 3D Mark Vantage only to learn it doesn't support the m11x resolution.

16. JMike

JMike New Member

Excellent review of this machine! And I must say, out of the few reviews I have read on the web, yours is the most comprehensive and complete that I have yet seen.

I received my M11x 1 week ago and I am extremely satisfied with the build quality and gaming performance. I ordered the higher cpu, 320 gb hard drive and 4 gb RAM. Valve and WOW preloads.

I was gaming on a Gateway 17 inch gaming laptop. Great laptop but that machine is a beast.

Gaming on a 12 in. laptop isn't that great but it will certainly do in a pinch. However, I travel for a living, as in 18-20 days a month. Hauling around a suitcase and that 17 in. Gateway was killing me. Most of the hotels I stay in have the new LCD tv's that also have an HDMI input. So that solves the diminutive screen issue for me.

I have connected my M11x to my 60 inch Pioneer plasma and as well, my 27 inch Dell LCD. The results on both are nothing short of stunning.

IMHO, this is the best purchase I have made in a very long time.

Regards,

Mike

17. JMike

JMike New Member

I opted for the higher cpu, 4 gb RAM and the 320 GB hard drive, 2nd day shipping. The final price was just a tad over $1000 USD. Quite a bargain in my book.

18. phat_11

phat_11 New Member

Dear Mike,

Congrats on your new machine. Happy to hear an additional good feedback to it. Did you by any chance had the opportunity to use the machine under heavy workload (not games) and how it responded? Did you try to launch hd content or tried to stream and if yes how did he perform? And since you've tried it on an external display, how was the performance?
    Hope you don't mind answering these questions. Thank you in advance buddy and enjoy the little beast :)

Greets,
    Phat

19. ognuDdeJ

ognuDdeJ New Member

Im torn between the Samsung SSD Dell offers and the Intel X25-M... Would the Intel really give that much more battery life??

20. brownmagic82

brownmagic82 New Member

Hello fellow m11x reviewers, I got mine a few days ago, one thing i noticed that is already bothering me is the right hand light in the front , guess thats the speaker, is noticeably dimmer then the one on the left hand side. All i have done is reformattd / win 7 ultimate / reinstall all the drivers/software from m11x support page, i squeezed out a few gigs by reformatting, i did loose the facial recognition software, not that i care.. but has anyone noticed anything with their brightness of their lights going dim??? Or is it just me.. I do like this computer, i need to get it tested with all the games i want to play, before ultimately deciding if i should just go for this

Asus K42JR-A1 w/ Core i5-430M, 4GB, 500GB, DVD+/-RW, Radeon HD 5470, 14in HD, Win 7 Home Premium at Memory Express Computers

this is an asus model

any input fellas?