All my apps have stopped working - restore points have disappeared!

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by SeanPatrick, Oct 5, 2013.

1. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

Somethings not right. When I got home from work tonight and booted up my PC, I wasn't able to access any apps. All of them had stopped working. They all say " There is a problem with X contact your system admin about reinstalling it " ... I tried to go to " Store " to re-install the apps but it says " Trouble opening store, a system refresh might do it ". So I hit system refresh, and it says " Some files are missing, your windows installation or recovery media will have these " .. I tried my windows 8 disk - says it's not valid, and tried my recovery disk ( made when I switched from 8 to 8.1 ) and it says no system files found. I managed to get into system restore to select a restore point - AND THEY'RE ALL GONE! :w00t: ... Wtf??? I've tried restarting, shutting down and rebooting, and re-installing my graphics drivers - nothing works. Again, wtf? I also tried doing the /sfc scannow trick in admin command prompt, but get "windows resource protection could not preform the operation "

Stupid bloody thing. I finally found a usb backup from which to access pc settings ( refresh reset ) but it said 1. my drives were locked so couldn't refresh, and something about a missing partition (BS!) so couldn't reset. Had to re-install with windows 8. I guess I was going to have to do this anyways before the official 8.1 came out. Any ideas how to get all my programs recognized under " add or remove programs " from my other hard drive?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I've seen this kind of thing a ton of times, and 3 possibilities jump to mind: 1) corruption, either hard drive, specifically partition table, 2) Windows registry corruption, or 3) virus/malware/trojan/etc.

The only thing I can suggest right now is trying some of the free bootable cleaning discs. There's a list you can go through HERE, but tops on my list would be Kaspersky Rescue CD, AVG Rescue CD, and Norton Bootable Recovery Tool.

Just note that if it is a virus/malware, and it's a bad infection, just toast the install, and start again as you may never get things back up and running properly. Some of the bootable discs include a file explorer, and you can use that to backup whatever data you need without having to boot into Windows. You could even use a bootable Linux disc like Ubuntu to do the same.

3. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

Yeah somethings messed up bad. Think its got to ne a virus or your right a partition.. when I was reinstalling windows it had to create like 4 partitions to succeafully install. That worked for a bit bit for no reason my internet connection stopped working. I tried everythingg, thong is my router is working, as I'm getting WiFi on it, and in fact.can ping google fromcmd prompt, bit something isn't letting any of my.browsers open. .despite it being connected. Major virus? I'm in the middle of writing my music library to blue ray disks. Then going to toast everything, SSD and hd. Will download comodo and malware bytes and run a scan on the disks before they getback on the computer. If that doeant work then I have no idea!

4. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

UPDATE: Well, I ended up wiping both my SSD and HD completely - repartitioning them - and doing a fresh instal of WIN 8. Seems to have solved the problem. The upshot is it's kind of nice to have a clean slate without a ton of redundant programs sitting around taking up space, and I WOULD have had to do this again in a couple weeks anyways for the official release of 8.1 - .. so no harm in the end really.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

A colleague of mine had a problem that he had to reinstall all of the Win8 apps (not normal applications) after each Windows update.