Always Something with a new build

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by PandaZ3, May 3, 2010.

1. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

It has been a good while since I last did an upgrade. I had been having some trouble with Outlook on my #1 system so I decided to upgrade my old 754 machine. The In-Win case had the old In-Win Powerman 350 Power supply. I replaced that with a new Cooler Master 600 W, which has a single 12v rail. The case had a floppy, CD burner and a DVD burner in it and a 250 Gig HD. I replaced the 250 with a new 750.
    I had on the spur of the moment bought a new Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H motherboard, 4 Gig of Corsair Dominator 1600, and a AMD 1090T X6 CPU. (I intended to get a 965 and a 790FX board, but this new stuff was there so no research just a wallet whapper)
    Earlier in April I had bought a 5770, Win 7 HP 64, and the 750 HD.

I stuffed all this together and hit the power switch and it posted fine.

Problem? Yes I can't get the DVD tray to open, I'll have to cannibalize another machine or buy a new one after work today.

Always something!

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Well, of all the things that could have gone bad, that's probably the most benign, I hope you'll sort it out easily enough. Nice to see you around, Panda. :)

3. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

I agree with Ivan. That is the cheapest and least used component of your build so in a way it's good that it went out if anything was going to. The least worst if you will.

Try to open it using a straightened paper clip inserted into the manual open hole on the face plate. If it still won't open double check your connections. I was using an old IDE DVD drive and the cable was lifted on one end ever so slightly so it was being detected but nothing would work on it. If it still won't open after that I would agree that the thing is pooched.

My friend had one that wouldn't open and once he tried the paper clip idea it served him well for 2 or 3 years.

4. slvrback

slvrback New Member

Hi Panda, ahhh always something,,,,,,,,
    I am curios how the pairing of the Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H and the AMD 1090T X6 CPU is working out, i,e,, Ocing ?. Also what you are using to cool that cpu?

5. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

I haven't tried to clock it yet as I don't even have the OS on it yet, Getting a good clock in the BIOS does nothing if you can't use it and in the past my problems were always compounded once Windows started to load..

I have the stock short heatpipe cooler right now. I don't want to use liquid in any case, but I might move up to a high end air cooler.

I will try the paper clip, had to look for one. i have done that before with a CD drive. Couldn't see the hole last night.

6. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Had that happen with a DVD writer once. After struggling with it for months I finally gave up and went out to get a new one for just about no money at all and it was twice as good as the old one ever had been.. :p

Bulk DVD writers are so cheap it's ridicilous!

7. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

No Go with the clip, so I raided my old UL8 and its tray works but is rachety. oh well and I also forgot the HDD Sata connection, but Win 7 loading now.

8. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

I guess the one good thing, if there is a good thing about a hardware failure is that an OEM DVD Writer should be around $20.

9. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

Right now I have no display, I will switch to the MB display and check internal connetions. I know the CPU and MB are working as lights flash and drives activate. I may need to do a CMOS reset. not concerned......Yet

10. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

Yeah I have to say gladly disk drives are a dime a dozen these days. Heck, I only have two in my house left. I just use on that is in an external enclosure for all my installation work and the only other one in the house is on the HTPC for playing stuff that people bring over or stuff that I rent (usually I don't even play DVDs they just sit in my closet and collect dust after I rip them on to my HTPC