AMD 3xx Series GPUs (Fiji and more)

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Judas, May 6, 2015.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I'm stilll interested in the fury nano however.... or the straight fury... they look very and perform quite well stacked directly against the nvidia lineup.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

I don't know, I'm really kind of disappointed that AMD didn't have something a little bit more beastly right off the bat. There was a LOT of hype coming out before this launch and then to have it only be relabeled R9 2xx series cards really made this a gigantic fail for me. I was really looking at upgrading here but I'm now holding off because why spend the money on a 3xx series card when it's only marginally an improvement (if that even) over a card that's been out for a year/year and half?

The relabeling thing really has left a bad image for me and I've been a huge AMD/ATI fan since my first Athlon 650mhz Slot A and Radeon 8500 Pro. Both Nvidia and ATI/AMD have done this in the past, this isn't the first time but it screws their customers when they do this and it's kind of BS. Either come out with a new product or don't but don't rename something because you've been able to get higher yields of a faster clock speed and call it a new chip. Just come out with the new product when it's done.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

As much as i would love to see a complete refresh of the lineup, i was not surprised... much like it's not surprising to see nvidia to do the same thing repeatedly, actually it could be argued that nvidia started the relabeling campaign.

Now to be a little more fair, they aren't entirely rebadged, it's not just a bunch of clock bumps.... there are a few tweaks elsewhere, however clarity on what that might be isn't really certain. I also know that OEMs have been drilling for "new product names".... reason we got a range of rebadged 7xxx series gpus for the mobile and specific desktop solutions (never went retail).

However now that Xbox one and PS4 haven't gotten their footing solid, amd (more like ati's department hopefully) can make do what they did with the HD2xxx to HD3xxx transition like they did with the xbox360 situation. HD2xxx was a flop though, did very poorly.. least the R 2xx was partially new and their flagships were not complete crap either...). the HD3000 is much like the Rx 3xx, all the improvements made to the HD2xxx bringing it directly into competition.... though the HD4xxx brought about GDDR5 which set it apart, I'd like to think the Fury falls within this area between the 2....

the Rx 4xx seems to be heavily concentrated on, and the reason they didn't fully release a brand new series top to bottom with all HBM, is due to the 28nm process they are limited to, even nvidia is still stuck on this. 20nm has been delayed so many damn times I think this is actually why nvidia took so long with thier release of the 960 series as well. Now it sounds like they've decided to scrap 20nm and are focusing on 16 or 14nm, hoping it's efficient enough to manage high clock speed products. To which i think if all goes well, we can expect the HBM series of products to fully launch, a top down complete product launch, from both sides of the map actually. Though i'm sure a bunch of amd people are likely to be disappointed if AMD manages to 6 months later, launch a new 14/16nm flagship chip, but i think that's EXTREMELY hopeful thinking.