AMD athalon 64 3200+. stock heatsink/fan crap?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by xenium, Feb 12, 2006.

1. xenium

xenium New Member

Ok, so I got my AMD 3200+ cpu up and running, but I noticed that the temps were getting up in the high range. It does not have any OC on it and the temps range about 46-50c idle, and about 55C when playing games. I ordered a new heatsink/fan to replace the stock heatsink/fan so that I can OC it safely. Are AMDs heatsinks/fans any good? or is it just my setup that is causing somewhat high temps? :duh:

2. BulletTheory

BulletTheory Forgiveness is a Six Gun

Yes they are good, but they arent the best. With the stock fan/heatsink, your temps a not too high. If u bought a new one, then : Good idea!! I did the same thing. With the Stock AMD cooling, I was running at pretty much the same temperatures (45c-50c no-oc). So I bought a Artic Cooling Freezer 64, and now everything s running at 32c-37c while oced to 3200+.

What type of cooler u bought?

3. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

My 3000+ stock hs/f has surprised me...at stock it ran at 32-37c (idle-load). With my oc, it runs at 36-41c.

4. Grace

Grace HH's Tomboy

The stock AMD coolers are very much fine for getting the job done. Your temperatures are very nice as well, nothing near too high.

Of course, if you plan to overclock you will need a better cooler. The stock AMD cooler is not designed for overclocking as you can imagine; it is merely an average aluminum cooler, although it seems to be more than adequate for the job.

5. xenium

xenium New Member

heres the new heatsink/fan that I ordered http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106042
    Its weird because Ive got a buddy in Sweden who has the exact same cpu, but his came with a different heatsink/fan. He said it looks to be copper and a different fan on it. He even got it to overclock to 2600mhz, and its only running at 26C!!:confused: He took a screeshot of the temp moniter, Ill find it if I can.

BTW, compared to the cooler I bought, how better/worse would the thermaltake one than the arctic one that you have digital killer? My order hasn't gone through yet, so if you say its better, Ill probably cancel it and order a better one.