AMD Athlon Temps

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by DriveEuro, Nov 12, 2002.

1. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

Here's the deal...I run an AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.3 overclocked to 1.4........ASII on the heatsink....Volcano 9 running at about 3100 rpms......My ambient temps in the room are low because I leave my windows open to keep it cool in here....But the integrated CPU probe reads at 46C when idle and about 55 when hot.....I know Thunderbirds run hot....Am I running too hotter than I should be?
    Granted I am overclocked...I'd prefer that only other people with experience with the Thunderbird chip respond...I don't want to know the Temps of your P4's or your XP's unless you know about the Thunderbird....No offense, but I just would like someone with hardcore experience...And also....don't XP processors run much cooler than Thunderbirds? Thanks.

2. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Your temps are a little high, but they are little cause for alarm. As long as you are below 60C, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Ensure that you are getting adequate airflow into and out of the case. XP processors (Palomino cores) do indeed run cooler than TBirds -- approximately 15-20%.

3. Ryoko

Ryoko American Soldier

temps are good... my 1.3 @ 1.4 is running 57 full load... cheap fan.

4. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

Re: Re: AMD Athlon Temps

Wow...I usually don't see 55C unless I am encoding some DivX movie or something.....But eh, you said cheap fan...

5. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Hey! What happened to my post!

Thunderbird 1200

Running 35C case, 44C CPU at idle, with a ThermoEnging V60-4210 and a front fan (next to useless) and rear/AGP extract fan (60mm position only) which pulled case/CPU down by about 7C from their worst.

With a no-namer HSF and no fans, the CPU hit 64C idle, case 44C and climbed beyond 75C (alarm set) during test.
    rated CORE temp is 95C max, but under-CPU sensing may be inaccurate so you really do NOT want to see it that close - these things are tougher than you think, which helps in the balance of:

Warmer than you'd like versus noisier than you'd like!

6. MurderOne

MurderOne New Member

jesus i need to check this stuff out again cos my athlon is running at 60 cool and 69 intensive.

maybe my sensor isn't reporting accurately because i've had no instability problems at all.

7. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

MurderOne, Athlons are technically supposed to be able to run as hot as 90C. It is just generally accepted knowledge that it isn't really good to run a CPU at 60C. It may not give you problems, but in the long run, it is likely that you are shortening the lifespan of that component.

8. MurderOne

MurderOne New Member

i took a look inside my pc. guess what! i had put the damn fan on the cpu in the wrong direction!!!!

I've got 2 system fans facing down into the heatsink now. so i'll see what difference it makes.

i think i need a decent heatsink though and a proper cooling fan.

9. MurderOne

MurderOne New Member

cpu is at 58 degrees at normal now and just over 60 intensive (according to sandra).

When i immediately shut down in the bios and check the pc health stats the cpu temp is slightly lower. Could the cpu have cooled by 1 or 2 degrees in the 10 seconds it takes to reboot'?

i need to spend some money on a decent heatsink. i think the copper ones are the best right? and also get a new fan.

10. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Some heatsinks work better when the fan sucks air off of it rather than blows down on it. Your's is clearly not one of them. ;) If you're looking to invest in a new heatsink-fan, why don't you check out Dan's Data? His guide is one of the most comprehensive on the web. Just look down the right side -- the heatsinks with the lowest C/W ratio are the best. I personally use a ThermalTake 7 -- although there are many out there that are better. According to Dan, the ThermalRight SLK-800 is the best, but it's probably unbearably loud. For moderate overclocking, I'd reccommend a ThermalTake. But that's just me. ;) Hope that helps!

11. MurderOne

MurderOne New Member

cheers, i'll check it out.

12. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

dgfs

I had a really funny post here, but the damn server whatevermathingy deleted it.

Anyway, MurderOne...do you live in Death Valley...in the sun? I have a 750 duron (yeah, less speed, okay) that my bro uses that runs AT MOST 50C (after running it for 4 hours in 3dmark2001se). And that's with ONE case fan in the back of the case. Ambient temps in my house, around 25C (somthing like 75-80 fahrenheit).

I bet your computer's innards are busting out like some gaping hernia wound, clean up your wiring, create paths for airflow! And make sure you have one or two fans (either one blowing out the back, or one blowing out the back and one blowing in). If you have too many fans blowing in, air will build up in pockets, usually toward the top of your case (where the CPU closely resides to).

Other than that, check your thermal paste, using Arctic Silver won't do you jack...make sure it's applied evenly and in a thin coat. After you remove the heatsink, yer gonna probably want to reapply anyway...so wipe that crap off your CPU and heatsink (BE CAREFUL) and reapply a pencil eraser's worth of thermal gunk and see if that helps you out.

13. MurderOne

MurderOne New Member

reno, you are totally right. i think i've a big heat problem in the case. i am using a midi tower with 2 cd writes, 1 dvd and 2 hard discs and cables everywhere.

i've got a fan at the front of the case pushing air in and a fan at the back of the case under the powersupply pushing air out.

Yesterday i double up the cpu fan by removing the back fan and placing it on top and it made the problem worse (still 69 degrees). So i put that fan back and left my main cpu fan (with the orientation correct) and the temperature sunk.

I left my case lid open all night with the windows open and the temperature was around 56.

I need to track and get all the cables straight, but you can imagine how messy and crammed it is in there at the moment.

A friend applied silver paste but as you states it barely did anything to help the cpu. I'll have another clear out today and try and improve things.

thanks for the tips.

14. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

MurderOne

Two fans in your case is not enough... Try adding a more powerful fan to the front, and the back of the case. Another thing to try is clean up your cables. If you can at least create a nice path for the air to take... you will lower your temps. BTW what HSF are you using?

15. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

One tip I recall, is to add a "jump ramp" to the case bottom, to turn the flow from the intake fan upward a bit, or some vanes attached to the fan-box for similar effect.

Do you get a case temp reading as well - if the CPU HSF is maintaining 10C over case at idle, anything better is likely to be heavy, expensive, noisy or all 3!

Side panel ducts / fans can be VERY effective, but are also very difficult to do neatly - a few cases do have pre-fitted side panel fans, blowing fresh air toward the CPU HSF.

16. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

2 Legit 2 Quit

Intake....
    60mm on side of case, blowing over vid card
    80 mm bottom front of case

Exhaust....
    92 mm right below the psu
    80 mm psu

I have no more places to connect monitors for temp, and frankly I don't feel like making my own....Cuz I don't care too much to know the temps....I just asked if my temp was hot for my setup.

17. MurderOne

MurderOne New Member

Re: MurderOne

i have no idea what the heat sink is and the fan is a large system fan i pulled out of my redundant case.

the insides of my pc are a mess and i need to sort it out. there's 3 vents i can screw fans on (in fact 2) i put the fan at the front in myself and taped it in as i couldn't screw the damn thing.

budget is my problem and i've had to get the cheapest of everything.

i had a desk fan blowing into my case once just for a laugh. that kept everything fresh!

the problem leaving the side panel open is dust.

18. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

Re: 2 Legit 2 Quit

Lets add something...slot exhaust fan under my vid car...forgot about that.

19. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

ghfd

Try and balance the air going into your rig with the air going out. Don't want to create any high pressure areas! It'll build up heat.