AMD Athlon X2 Overclocking Thread

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by No_Style, Aug 19, 2005.

1. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

The main point of having an X2 is to have a true multi-purpose processor. You can do anything and everything with this processor.

Multi-threaded - You can do more things at once and better than any other desktop processor available today. Not many applications themselves do not utilize the multiple CPUs, but OSes do and if you are tired of waiting for things to finish before you do another intensive task, then X2s are for you. If you ONLY game and ONLY do one thing at a time, save yourself a few hundred dollars and stick with regular AMDs.

64-Bit - Nobody uses extensively yet on the desktop market despite the release of WinXP x64. By the time Vista comes along things will change though.

Strong single threaded performance when overclocked - 2.5 GHz is nothing to snuff out. It's faster than a regular A64 3800+!

So when you think about it, you really have a Swiss Army knife of processors with an X2 :)

2. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

is a 3500 a good choice for a 7800gtx?

3. No_Style

Yes, 3500+ (2.2 GHz) and higher is what I would recommend.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'm rather quite impressed with the x2 4400+ i've got.... little bugger flys.

Still running into some cases where a program that is saposed to be multi threaded... apaprently only works with intels HT or dual core setup. Which case i've ran into the situation where either one core is pegged and the other sitting there giggling... or both kinda meeting halfway. Imo, i can't complain about the other stuff that works. These suckers are unreasonably speedy considering i previously had a POS 2500+ that was running slower then a 1600+ oldy due to power related problems.

Hell of alot faster then the temporary 3000+ 64 bit 939 i had.

I agree.. if you are into the gaming.. it just doesn't make any sence to make a purchase on these dual core cpu's yet. support is nill yet, and you can use that extra cash to put toward the video card which will make the most impact.

Currently running my x2 stock. at *WOW* 34*C under load. (gotta invest in a furnace now as my previous 2500+ would litterly heat my home durring the winter and if i closed the room door.... boil me alive)

5. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I'm getting one with SLI mobo. best way to be future proof, no reason for SLI right now but there will be later. If you want to play F.E.A.R. highest graphix only way I would go.

6. UnIcOrN

UnIcOrN Active Member

Well i have my X2 3800+ running at 230x10 and my temp is at idle around 39 and under load somewhere around 45 degree Celcius. I lowered the memory to 166Mhz from 200Mhz for i don't have a clue if it is harmfull for the memory running at 230 also.

I'm still using the stock cooler.. Don't know when I put a different cooler on it if it will perform better in the temperature department. Any advices on good coolers for an X2? Only real benchmark that i ran was the CS: Source video test and it went from 79,56 at stock speed to 95,67 at 1600x1200 with AA at 4 and AF at 8.

Must say that I am impressed with it sofar seeing it runs great and absolutley stable.

7. rescuecheck

rescuecheck New Member

Does anyone know the highest overclock achievable by a Toledo X2 +4400 with water cooling?

8. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

just got mine today. testing testing testing
    here is just a weeee preview lol

9. No_Style

Nice. Hopefully it's Prime95 stable. It looks like it should be.

10. Scargo

Scargo New Member

Ordered my X2 4400 yesterday. Unicorn,I can't believe you are using stock cooling...
    I am building this rig to replace the OC'd 4000+ on an A8N-E that just can't keep up with the Photoshop work I throw at it.

Here's whats coming:
    AMD Athlon X2 4400 / Thermalright XP-90 / ASUS A8N23-SLI Deluxe / OCZ Titanium 1Ghz PC3200 (X4)/ Lian Li PC-7077A Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower /Antec 550w PS /Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive . Adaptec SCSI card and 2-Fujitsu 15K SCSI HD's in Riad 0. Oh, and a measly MSI NX6600-TD256E Lite Geforce 6600 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card.

I'm still not sure what fan to put on the cooler. I'm thinking the Vantec 92mm that puts out 58.5 CFM. It has a speed control connection for the board, but I'm guessing I would disable (or not use) that feature. I do have a manual controller I could use...
    I'll OC it a tad, so I'll keep you informed. Whatever air lets me comfortably do...

11. Judas

scargo, were going to have to run some comparison.. i beleive you an i will have the most similare machine (if we don't overclock).. i'm going to be running stock

although you'll have the raid advantage

but i've also a Sata2 16mb cache 250gb HD sitting here

12. Scargo

Scargo New Member

I'm definitely going to OC, so eat my dust!
    Seriously, I would like to have the input of (probably) more experienced overclockers on this forum. I will stick to air and I need it stable.....
    They are talking like this is a good tweaker board. Lots of adjustments in the BIOS and higher voltages. Supposedly, good enough for anything except extreme o'clocking with liquid cooling. The dual x-16 slots will be popular, too. I'm just trying to decide what I could stick in that second one....

I will share my info, when it becomes available. I'll have most of my stuff tomorrow but I will have to wait till around Wednesday for my mobo (from NewEgg). As this is a relatively new motherboard and our dual-core processor is rare among gamers (which are in the majority on this forum) we may be short on sound advice. Any direction to info/reviews outside of this forum would be good!

13. Judas

well i will purchase an A8N32-SLI board as soon as they are available... :D

so i may just keep up with you.. soon as i'm confident my finally mostly completed new system gets a few good hours on it.... i'll start ramping up the speed slowly.

14. No_Style

Bah. Perhaps I should push my my X2 3800+ @ 2.5 GHz to about 2.6 GHz or 2.8 GHz. Although, I do like running it 1:1 with my RAM at 250 HTT.. Hmm..

Update: Take a look at Socket 939 Opterons. They're quite attractive. That X2 4000+ (2.0 GHz with 1 MB L2 Cache) exists in the form of the Opteron 170. XS forum members have been getting great results from it. 2.8 GHz with relatively low volts. And yes, S939 Opterons work fine with regular S939 boards.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  15. Scargo

Scargo New Member

No_Style: Not knowing anything about the DFI board you have I wonder what choices you have for a divider? Seem like you could push that puppy a little and get better results, even at 5/6.

The Opteron equivalent in base Mhz to my X2 4400+ is a little more money, but not much. I really don't know what the differences are in architecture (haven't studied it) except for the obvious differences in cache which might not make it the best choice for me and PS. I don't know if it is as good at multi-tasking.

16. No_Style

I could get better results, but I don't like pushing the VCore. I may push it though.

Opterons (S939) and regular A64 have absolutely no architecture differences. (The key is the S939 note I made since S940 Opterons need to use ECC memory and some have extra HTT interconnects for rapid connection between other physical processors in dual processor setups). They differ by quality though, since these Opterons will be used for servers and workstations they have been put through more testing. Thus, people have found these Opterons to overclock better. All Opterons come with 1 MB of L2 Cache as well. I was recommending the Opterons if you were going for a lower speed grade to save a little bit of cash, but still retain the 1 MB L2 Cache. (Not to mention the insane overclocking headroom)

17. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

im getting an X2 3800+ how does it compare to the 4400+???

18. No_Style

Stock speeds? It's decent. When the X2 3800+ is overclocked, it's better than the 4400+.

19. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

when i get it can somebody tell me like step-by-step how to,and what i need to OC??? kuz i want to lol

20. Judas

shortly i'll be considering overclocking my x2 setup...

but atm, just finished a few benchmarks (with programs running in the backgroud mind you...)

atm... looking for a good place to upload images