AMD Athlon X2 Overclocking Thread

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by No_Style, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Scargo

Scargo New Member

VIRuS2k: Are you running air cooling or water, and if air, what? Is it still good at 2.7Ghz? I just got my X2 4400+ chip and am waiting on the A8n32-SLI Deluxe board.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  2. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

3. GeneralClaymore

GeneralClaymore Active Member

for me its for getting more then what you paid for is the sole reason why i overclock.

4. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Opteron 175@2.75GHz with 1.45v
    X2 4400+@2.6GHz with 1.6v

Fairly clear that if you are in the market for an X2-or single core for that matter- check out the opterons. For $20-30 extra you get much more OCing headroom since the cores are lower voltage.

PS. The cpus above are the same spec and as amazing as it sounds the same stepping(CCBWE)

5. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

lol you got that one backwards
    also the 3800+ only has 512kb l2 cache and the 4400+ has 1meg l2 cache

also 2xcores 3800+ 2x512 = 1meg l2
    also 2xcores 4400+ 2x1meg = 2meg l2

no way on earch the 3800+ is better.

6. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

im stable as hell @2.7ghz on both cores @ 1.440v vcore on AIR
    thermal take Xp90C + 92mm tornado Fan with internal DFI speed controller useing smart gardian. :)

here is some proof.... :)
    i know with better cooling i could get 2.8-2.9 possibly 3.0ghz out of this cpu with more vcore but these things indeed run very good when both cores are primeing or super pi`ing. :)

[​IMG]

7. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

When an X2 3800+ is overclocked to 2.5 GHz, it easily beats a stock X2 4400+ 2.2 GHz and it can do it with relative ease (1.408 V in CPUZ). I was referring to that. ;) Sorry fo confusion.

For a long time I debated the worth of the extra L2 and in the end I didn't deem it worth the extra cash. Although, with that said, I recommend the Opteron 165 S939 to any dual-core S939 seeker these days. Although it's cheaper than the X2 3800+ (where I live), it stands at 1.8 GHz, has 1 MB L2 Cache and extra sexy when overclocked.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  8. No_Style

God damn it! You got one? :( Now I want one even more.. Gotta love the extra quality of these Opterons.

9. dipstick

dipstick New Member

hehe, I took a chance with it and sold my 4400+...and it turned out great! But from now on I will always look at the opterons first before buying anything

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

pretty good results :D

I'm slowly... very slowly cranking my 4400+ up now... but i'm limited by my ram obviously..

Course, still not doing bad, 2-2-2-5 timings and 2.85volts on the ram... nothing else has changed except now i've got 215mhz FSB....

11. No_Style

By the looks of things, you've also went all out on other upgrades as well. CF DFI and the whole bit!

12. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Yea went from all nvidia to all ATi again lol. The board started off a little rough but has turned out to be an insane OC'er and extremely stable despite all the bad reviews :cool:

13. nitrousoxide52

nitrousoxide52 Driverheaven.com err .net

Got mine clocked at 2.5ghz, but I've had it at 2.6ghz. CPU idles at 28degrees celsius, and only goes up to about 32degrees celsius at load [​IMG]. Running with 1.425volts.

14. Scargo

Scargo New Member

Here's where I'm at with overclocking my 4400 x2 and the A8N32-SLI Deluxe board with 4X OCZ Titanium DDR400 sticks (2-3-2-5 @ 2.6v. stock).

I am perplexed by the myriad of selections in BIOS and what I see in different monitoring applications. CPU-Z does not agree with what I see in BIOS and AiBooster shows x10 while BIOS and CPU-Z says it is 10.5. I also don't know what setting I have wrong in BIOS so that the readings are all over the place on the AiBooster panel (like the FSB and frequency changing occasionally....like to 399 and 105, when it usually is 240, as I set it!) or are they really changing and it is just AiBooster screwing up???
    In the BIOS memory configuration, the computer will not boot with the "MCT Extra Timing Mode" in "manual" with the settings I have entered.
    The computer works fine otherwise and doesn't crash or BSOD, but I am puzzled and don't quite know where to go from here.
    I want to post my screenshots from BIOS and CPU-Z but can't figure out how to do it. Attaching an image allows me to upload 1 byte? What is up with that? Where are guidelines for attaching or inserting images?

15. locopro

locopro New Member

X2 4600+

:uhoh: hey guys

i need the right and cool numbers for my X2 4600+ ..and some software for wise O/C ....

thank 4 ur help guys :drool:

16. PurpleMonkey

PurpleMonkey New Member

Hi, new member here & oh yes new overclocker i have read this thread with great intrest & confusion. Im not really sure what im doing or how to do it so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PC Specs:

AMD X2 4800
    DFI RDX200 CF-DR
    4gb pc3200 Ram
    ATI Radeon X1800XT 512mb

I currently have Clockgen & ITE SmartGuardian installed, not sure what to do with smart guardian other than monitor my temps & fan speeds, with Clockgen I have overclocked to only 2500 which is only a 100mhz increase.

I have seen you guys talking about increasing voltage & frankly that scares the hell out of me, i would like to squeeze more performance out my cpu if possible, a real simple bit of software that controls the lot would be ideal for this beginner.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  17. Scargo

Scargo New Member

One thing for sure, you want to have adequate CPU cooling before you start raising voltages, and, there's no reason to do that until you do some significant increasing of your CPU's Mhz. I'm at a 24% OC with my X2 4400+ and am only at 1.425volts. I have been up to 1.475 and saw no reason/benefit for it. However, that high a voltage seemed to have little effect on my CPU temp (perhaps 1C) and that is contrary to what I just previously said. Perhaps my XP 90C works really well.....

I have read that 1.45 volts is about as high as you want to ever go but I also read that the 90nm can go higher. As I said, I saw no benefit from going over 1.425v. when I run at 260Mhz. (In tests, I got to 284Mhz and I think I was at 1.45 volts) RAM will really benefit from more voltage when you start pushing it.
    I don't know DFIs, but for me, working with one of the many calculating programs that give you combinations to choose from (like Gogar's site) and that figure out what changing different variables will result in, then going into BIOS and changing it there, seems to be the best. With my X2, I don't find any programs that let you change settings in Windows. I have to go into the BIOS to make changes, whereas I was able to make changes in Windows with my 4000+, using Clockgen.

18. PurpleMonkey

PurpleMonkey New Member

Thanks for the info scargo, unfortunatly due to me being a total overclocking noob & not much of a pc expert i dont know what to put in the HT: & Multi: sections of Gogar's Athlon 64 OC Optimizer, i left them at default & continued & then didnt understand what it was telling me, i fear i may never increase my overclocking total from 100mhz per core :tears:

with my 100mhz increase in cpu speed my cpu temp is still below 40c, i have not changed voltage as i dont know what im doing with it & i fear the reaper.

Also Clockgen is allowing me to work with my chip fine, but i cant see any overclcoking options in my bios

it would be great if i could find a program that would overclock everything i need & change my voltage to correct levels as my noobness scares me, ive read a couple of guides but i dont really get it, is there a idiots guide to overclocking?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  19. Scargo

Scargo New Member

I feel your pain......really

I'm guessing that about a year ago I was where you are now. I read and experimented and was totally confused for awhile. I still have some issues about terminology and a lack of consistency between BIOSs, and I've still a lot to learn.
    There are many guides to overclocking on the net. IMHO here are some leads that have good info and smart people in the forums.
    DriverHeaven is a good forum, and fairly well attended, but check out these others:
    OCforums.com
    forums.anandtech.com
    forums.extremeoverclocking.com
    Then there's Tom's Hardware (and Mike's Hardware for more general PC stuff) Virtually all have OC guides.

For Gogar's Optimizer:
    CPU: set the speed for what you would like to achieve. A 10 to 15% increase is (usually) easily achieveable on air. So the 4800 you have is rated at 2.4Ghz stock, so plug in 2700 (112%) as a starting point.
    RAM: You don't say what kind of RAM you have but most will do 210-220 at their rated timings/voltages. You can leave it at 200 (stock speed for DDR400 or PC 3200) for now, if you wish. Plug in 210 for grins and so you can follow my example scenario.
    HT: This is your BUS speed and I think your DFI is 1000, just like my ASUS A8N32-SLI. So leave it alone or enter 1000 or the rated speed for your board's BUS.
    HTT/FSB: This is the CPU frequency you want to use. My 4400 went to 284 without to much trouble. Some get around 300Mhz. I settled for 260 as a stable frequency I could accept (on air). Enter 245.
    Multiplier: I set it at 11. Generally as you go higher on the FSB you will want to go down on this multiplier. I am at 10.5. This is called "processor frequency multiplier" under my "jumper-free settings", in BIOS.

Now, hit 'GO" and you will see different combinations for entering in your BIOS. As it says in the right column, lower is better. This is why I suggested the numbers I did, so the first two choices have very low numbers. This is just a workable example of what you can achieve. Now you just need to plug these into Clockgen or the BIOS and try them. I don't think Clockgen can set the memory divider. Ex.:11:12,183,DDR366 in the first line of Gogar results. In my BIOS I have a choice of "183" under advanced> CPU> memory config> memclock value.
    The Gogar hypertransport number is "4 x 245 = 980". For me, this is in the advanced chipset settings under "K8 to NB frequency" of the BIOS. 4X is the multiplyer for the CPU speed (HTT/FSB) which gives you the HT of 980.

What Clockgen are you using? My CG-NVNF4 version doesn't fully function. The K8 FID/VID area is greyed out.
    Read other "how tos" on overclocking AMD 64s.
    I hope this has helped. It's made my head hurt....

20. PurpleMonkey

PurpleMonkey New Member

Excellent , Thanks you have made my day

I have just spent the last few hours using your info along with some other guides i found & my motherboard instructions & i am now running at 2.76ghz giving me a total of 5.52ghz, im very pleased.

My FSB BUS is 230
    CPU Core 107.2%
    smartguardian says my cpu is 1.34-6v
    cpu temp is 40c
    PWMIC is 44c (i dont know what that is)
    Chipset is 41c

I did have it at 2.82ghz 5.64ghz 5mins ago
    FSB BUS 235
    CPU Core 109.something
    Dram Voltage 2.65
    these setting got it botted up ok, after 5 mins of it keeping crashing on me, but whilst running prime 95 torture test & watching a film it crashed, so i am going to stick with 5.52 for now.

Im going to play Counterstrike source & run a 3dmark 05 test & see how the added heat from my X1800XT affects things.

Thank you for the help i couldnt have got here without it :cool:

ill post again tomorrow & let you know how its doing & if ive tried to increase anymore.