AMD Dragon Kit!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by nicnik, Apr 15, 2009.

1. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

Hi all,
    Time for me to start my thread. I receive my kit some time last week and have already gotten some pictures taken. Unfortunately I received a faulty 4870x2 :dead: and am waiting for a replacement (Thx for the help craig).

Just as with the other 2 guys, it's the same kit: Asus M4a79 Deluxe, Asus Trifan 4870x2 and AMD phenom II 940.

I've spent some time on it and built it up already. Still waiting for my case, keyboard and gpu to arrive, until then it'll be using a half broken case and be non functional ^_^

Will get more pix of it when it's up and running.

nic.

Attached Files:

2. lepel

lepel New Member

Very nice! What case and keyboard are you getting?

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

excellent...

to bad on the hd4870x2.... glad it's getting sorted...

4. mike2h

mike2h New Member

gz & have fun with that excellent piece(s) of equip!!

5. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

awesome, awesome, awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that board looks sweet! oc the heck outa it!

all hail driverheaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. nicnik

Thx!

I will be getting wireless keyboard and laser mouse set. prolly either microsoft or logitech.

As for the case, I might for now put it into the antec 300 I have for my old A64, since I can't decide on what case to get. I'll prolly put it in when the gpu arrives and do it all in 1 go.

I've already purchased 2 sticks of 2 GB kingston hyperx 1066 RAM, and an akasa 967 cooler. I would get an alternative cooler but it would merely be 2-3 degree's cooler but allot louder, the akasa is really quiet on full blast.

The 4870x2 fan seems to be ok, you'd think 3 fans would be quite loud but the noise doesn't start to kick in until after 55% fan speed which is about average. I think ~70% is the max I can take, any higher and it's too loud.

The board seems good. I've updated the bios to i think 1202. Not too used to the bios though, all my other boards use either pheonix or award.

The phenom II 940 should easily hit 3.6, which is a great improvement over the first generation of phenoms.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Cool on the viddy card glad it is being sorted :cool:

8. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Another happy winner good to see. I hope the replacement card gets to you soon

9. nicnik

card's coming on monday. I've already got everything else put together. Ebuyer excellent as always, delivered within a day on super saver.

Once card arrives I'll get cracking with some overclocking

Mac Daddy likes this.
  10. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Sweet :cool:

11. nicnik

Update! put my 1900xtx in the rig for now. Started to overclock the CPU Mildly. Not sure how to overclock the ram using this ASUS board. Only options I have are 677 800 1066, I do not see an option to set the FSB/Ram Ratio or dividers, or memory multiplier. So I am assuming the board automatically sets the divider and mutiplier to "force" whatever speed i choose out of 667 800 1066.

Is this how it works for asus boards? I've always used dfi, and only jus moved to gigabyte, this is the 2nd asus I've ever had, but my first asus is a P3 that i've never bothered overclocking.

Anyway, sitting at 3.6ghz atm, Coretemp shows temps max 49C at 3.6ghz. Not sure how accurate coretemp is though. Prime running stable for a while, not sure how long. Games running fine, no problems, only limited by the 1900xtx (quite badly :p)

update:
    3.6ghz (200x18), ram at 1066, cpu v: 1.45 everything else on auto. Crashes at prime within 20 minutes. Could be bug with bios. It seems if I put a setting back onto Auto it retains whatever setting I had before! ie. I had 3.6ghz profile (unstable) went to bios set all back to auto rebooted and cpu-z still showed 3.6

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  12. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I am still learning ASUS BIOS here it is odd :bleh:

Regarding RAM on this ASUS board in the profile on my specs there are 3 settings that affect the dividers and straps.

13. nicnik

I can't see any option to change dividers, or the ram multiplier (manual doesn't help at all). Only 667 800 1066. Opening cpu-z afterwards, I can see the divider is automatically set to whatever ratio that makes it stick to 1066. Using latest bios right now, gona try see if there's any beta bios's that has more bios options available.

14. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I didn't see any additional options either until I changed the setting in AI tweaker to "normal" even XMP didn't show these memory settings. But then again yours is a different board and using an AMD CPU.

15. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

I'll take a Dragon kit, please! :) I have an obsession with dragons! haha. Do these things retail ? :)

Grats on yours again, sorry for the DOA Card, but hey It'll get sorted

16. CyberpowerUK

CyberpowerUK New Member

Change the RAM speed to Manual and set to the frequency to what you want to start with, and it'll increase with the FSB. If you leave at limit, it will stick to the set divider.

Mike

Mac Daddy likes this.
  17. nicnik

Thx for the help, i'll try looking into it again tonight and see how it goes. Are all asus bio's like this?

anyway, 1m super pi takes about 22+ seconds to complete. overclocked at 3.6 makes it 19-20seconds. Don't remember the exact numbers. Will do all that once the gpu is in.

18. CyberpowerUK

CyberpowerUK New Member

nicnik likes this.
  19. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Not necessarily ;)

nicnik looks like good advise here and + rep for Mike :)

nicnik likes this.
  20. nicnik

Have it up and running with the 4870 installed now. Seems stable so far at 3.6, I will push it further once it's stable for a while. Temps max at 50 under full load.
    The 4870x2 is making an impact to the overall temperatures though, that thing runs very hot and loud. As mentioned before I can only tolerate the fan speed set at 55%. I think the gpu hits 75-80 under full load @ 55%

thx for the help.