AMD Dragon Kit!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by nicnik, Apr 15, 2009.

1. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

my 4870x2 is working now yeh, coz i had it replaced ha. I can confirm that the stuttering and shadow flickering is still there even with everything not overclocked, even downclocked. So my original theory that the overclock put too much strain on psu is out the window. I'm guessing I may need a clean install, I've had my 1900xtx and gtx 260 put into the phenom rig before i put the 4870x2 in it. If that doesnt fix it, then it may well be related to the PSU. But surely 20A x 4, using 3 seperate cables to power the card is enough. I doubt I will be unlucky enough to have another faulty gpu :)

The 4870x2 scored about 14k in 3dmark vantage, which is kind of normal. PRoblem is the stuttering and shadow problem is appearing in most games. Not happening in source games i've got on steam. happens on crysis, and mount & Blade. Don't have many more games installed atm to test.

Another odd thing i've noticed is, compared to when I had the gtx 260 in, the mouse appears to take much longer swipe for a 180 in all the fps games ive tried. however the mouse accelration feels the same, if not faster.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Yeah my experience with mixing nvidia and ati in the same machine without a fresh install is about as good as your explaining. lol... wipe and reinstall .. see how that goes.

Considering the phenomII... it doesn't take long with vista.. and even less time with win7

Well, i'm still having no luck trying every conceiveable fix i can think of..

I just jerry rigged 2 500watt Power Supplies, each one's PCI-ex 1 plug's power the card and then load balanced the rest of the connection in a brand new machine i just built.

Had a HD4350 in it... made sure everything was working fine, and then i installed the HD4870x2... let vista find the 9.4 drivers , install them... rebooted.... poof still no luck. Voltages and everything couldn't be more spot on (using a PSU tester to start the 2nd psu and check values)

Before i could get something work if i disabled the primary adapter, then enable the 2ndary.. (as the 2nd one appears disabled after installing and BSODing.) But now all i get is Code 43 all the time....

It's not power supply, it's not computer, 3 machines all reporting the same issue...

it's 100% gotta be the HD4870x2 being faulty...

3. nicnik

jus installed xp on another partition. and guess what, no stuttering or shadow flickering. I'll reinstall vista prolly over the weekend, bet that fixes it.

You waiting for a replacement for the 4870x2 right? Coz you seem to be experiencing very similiar symptoms to what I had. I tried 3 different PSU's and even 2 PSU's to power the card and it wouldnt boot into vista, and when it did no ati gpu was found. 2nd gpu disabled, enabling will get bsod on reboot.

4. Judas

Exactly the same thing i did... only i had a little more available to play with in trying to get things working.... but i did use 2 PSU's to make sure it wasn't a power issue.

5. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Judas you will get a replacement. check your email.

6. Judas

Yup, it's all being worked out...

;)

Thanks!

7. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

Wow.. DH is great... Never knew such a site existed.. there is public competitions as well as Hidden.. where we dont knw what we'll get.. i'm really happy to be part of such a community.. :)

GigaWatt likes this.
  8. LilRazor

LilRazor Active Member

wahh congrats =D

nicnik likes this.
  9. nicnik

I changed the psu from my i7 rig into the phenom and I can easily run 3.6ghz with no bsod's or crashes at all. Safe to conclude that my old psu 800W 4x20A didn't have enough juice to handle both the phenom and 4870x2 overclocked. (works fine on stock). I tested the old psu without the 4870x2 and it overclocked fine upto 3.8ghz, jus doesn't work with the 4870x2 installed.

OVerclocking only with the multiplier I can easily hit 3.6ghz with 18 multiplier and 1.45v. Tested 3.8 with 19x multiplier and it seems to work fine at 1.5v, wouldn't work with 1.45v. Advance clock calibration (ACC) is disabled.

What's the +12% to -12% on ACC do? Which setting should it be on to make a difference?

10. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Cool stuff on the PSU change nicnik and that ACC setting I am not familiar with it.

11. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

I think 100% stability is what all you guys should be aiming for with your overclocks...

And if you could run Cinebench R10 (multi CPU) and Sisoft Sandra Mem Bandwidth I think those two apps would give a fair representation of what system has been most successful. (Both of those programs are free which is also ideal)

Then post screenshots of each along with AMD overdrive showing the clocks (or CPUz i guess).

12. longhorn1000

longhorn1000 New Member

OK, i posted my results in my thread... game on! :)

13. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member