AMD fielding 64 bits for PCs

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by David, Jul 26, 2002.

1. David

David Banned

Advanced Micro Devices is building a 64-bit field of dreams.
    As Intel accelerates the launch date of its 3GHz Pentium 4 chip, arch rival AMD continues to build the foundation for "ClawHammer." The 64-bit Athlon processor is expected to come out early next year, giving desktop PCs a performance similar to that of workstations used in research labs at DaimlerChrysler or NASA.

To make sure ClawHammer arrives on solid footing, AMD is working with a long list of partners who will build that hardware and software that can take advantage of such a chip. The company has already sent tens of PCs fitted with the upcoming chip to game developers and multimedia software creators, said John Crank, a senior branding associate for the Athlon. This is part of Operation Rolling Thunder, AMD's campaign to introduce the chip, he said.

AMD is, so far, the only major chipmaker to announce plans for a 64-bit chip for desktops.

"Just because it's there, we think people are going to use it," said Mark de Frere, AMD's Athlon brand manager.

Read the full story HERE

2. raptora12

raptora12 Mystic seeker

I heard the first clawhammer will be a 2ghz and with its memory controller

equal in strength to a 4ghz pentium 4.More for less speed has been a fasciation with AMD since the first athlon. :hmm:

3. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

Sure would be nice to see an OS *and additional programs/games* that will support 64bit technology.

Could run WindowsXP (64bit) or a distro of Linux...but AMD will realize the problem Intel had when the Itanium chip was released. Its not gonna get enough support from programmers *atleast not in the near future*

(watch someone prove me wrong in 6 months!)

4. Jaxon

Jaxon New Member

Re:

I hope so. :)

5. Desert_Siege

Desert_Siege Professional Slacker

ME TOO!!

And I do believe his theory may be right. If you build it, they will come. I just want one to play with for a little while...I promise I will give it back.........sooner or later. :evil: