AMD FX-8150 Black Edition Processor Launch Review @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Thanks for the excellent and constructive post. :)

2. skylineaddict

skylineaddict Sleep Deprived Ant

I take back what I said.. I feel stupid for agreeing with someone that thinks that games should be run at low res for CPU testing. I shall beg for retribution now :/

3. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I had a look at some reviews from other sites. I won't name names, let's just say they came up high on Google when looking for FX-8150 benchmarks.

The first one I looked at ran a game at 640x480 with everything at the lowest possible settings this, apparently, puts more of the workload on the CPU. The 2500k came out on top. Well, the funny thing is, the 2500k has Intel HD 3000 graphics onboard. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but the FX-8150 doesn't have any graphics integration so here we're comparing the power of a GPU to the power of a CPU for gaming graphics. Whoops. If you get the GPU involved which, strangely enough, is how people play games, you're making a comparison of two computers with the same setup (the only difference being the CPU). Whatever differences that are notable will, logically, be a result of the difference in CPU.

The next benchmark I looked at was more reliable. They tested single cores, multiple cores, low-end gaming (2500k took a sizeable lead) and high-end gaming (FX-8150 near enough matched).

The third benchmark I saw was AMD's. I'll ignore that as it's the only one I've seen that even came close to a 990X in CPU benchmarks, not along gaming.

Next on the list was another website (one that I find is also respectable) that had the 2600k take the lead in CPU performance. Gaming at high resolutions (under 2560 x ...) showed that the FX-8150 kept up rather well.

The last one that I looked at while I could be bothered compared a lot of games at several different high-end settings. The FX-8150 kept up.

So, my findings over several websites do not prove HH's benchmarks incorrect. In fact, similar benchmarks running at similar settings showed that the 2500k was faster in CPU benchmarks, whereas the FX-8150 performed about just as well as the 2600k during 1080 gaming.

I can see why a heavy load is placed on the CPU in gaming for demonstration purposes but in each case when the GPU is put back into the equation (as it should, considering games are played with graphics cards) the FX-8150 runs well.

4. shadix

shadix New Member

I would like to comment on this "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" review of yours. Like pointed out before you score motherboard 10/10 and use cheap tactics to discredit users who disagree with your review shenanigans.

I registered solely to tell you this. You are cheating potential buyers to buy a bad product just because you were given a free CPU (or maybe some cash on the side?).

You say your reviews are not like others because "they" publish rubbish. If anandtech, tomshardware and 99% of reputable reviewers say the same I consider that the overal truth. You on the other hand belong in the 1% who claim this CPU not only beats the i7 but also is a must buy at 9/10 score. Now one of your arguments is that you wouldn't do it because you would be anti Intel... That's not the case if you give anything intel gifts you a 10/10. You play ball with both sides.

Why is your location not posted on your profile. You seem like a shady reviewer who is in it for the publicity money.

Of course you will most probably ban me and delete this message claiming I did something against the website rule, or discredit me with some BS story. But what you are doing is discrediting yourself and this website.

After reading your review AND owning both FX 8150 and i7 2600k (you probably didn't expect that from someone did you) I can only conclude you are a advertising pawn of Companies.

btw both setups include a 6950 2gb so there's not telling me that it's probably because I have 2 different GPU brands.

So before you come up with a counter to my claims read this. I do not beleive a word you say and neither does anyone with more then 60 IQ points.

5. Stuart_Davidson

OMG Shadix, you got me. I'm not actually cloaked, i'm sitting in my Miami beach house (that AMD paid for), sipping some fine Champagne from a crystal glass (both gifts from Nvidia). Later I will play some games on my Core i7-3980X system (that Intel sent me before anyone else) while laughing at the noobs who bought a FX-8150.

After that I could play Forza 4... or I could head out in my 1957 Mercedes 300SL that ATI paid for when I got my share windfall duing the AMD merger.

I guess now that you busted me we should close the site...

... or not. :rolleyes:

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Thank you. Thank you for telling things as they are! I don't know why no one else figured this scum of a site for the 9 years it's operating. I guess, I am crying saying this, you are the first person in 9 years with an IQ of over 60 who visited this site. You sir, are a GOD!

Nibiru, Illuminati, 2012, they are all NOTHING compared to hardwareheaven.com conspiracy and the reviews here. NOTHING!

Hell, let me guess, it was you who first found out where Osama Bin Laden was hiding, right? Yeah, I know you were! Don't be modest!

EDIT: Come to think of it, you are like Batman. I look at your post and remember the old TV series tune. BAAATMAAAAAAN.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  7. shadix

shadix New Member

Ok explain why the FX is outperformed by the Phenom II's core by core and clock by clock and why the FX deserves a 9/10.

Let me explain why since you can't give a straight answer to any criticism. It's cause you are biased.

Im out of this scam website have fun managing a dead site :rofl:

For those looking for a objective review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOVJnszQvnU

Enjoy

8. skylineaddict

skylineaddict Sleep Deprived Ant

I'm just curious to see how the 8-core places against the 6-core.

9. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Ok,But it looks like many of the critics posting here are posting out of Jealousy that HH is far better at reviews than some of the others i have looked at.

Shadix if you look closer to the youtube video.I think you are going by a OC3D youtube video as hardcore,When they guy in the video looks very uncomfortable in the presentation.

His eyes are all over the place and appears very twitchy for some reason..He looks as though he's been thrown into something he did not want to do.

Just not taken the time to prepare himself...Its good to see a 35 min video and hes lost for words in less than 7 mins.. .

Yes Thankyou very much for the Laugh.

10. shadix

shadix New Member

If that's your opinion that is fine each can have their own. But when we look at the facts, the last generation AMD cpu's perform Better on some benchmarks and on par in others. We waited so long for the so called bulldozer and now that it's here this site and many others compare it to a 4 core intel CPU which still outperforms a 8 core bulldozer. So like I said before why does this cpu receive a 9/10 and how can it receive a 10/10 in build quality when it looks exactly the same as the Phenom II but performs less so.

So if I could get a straight answer on these 2 questions I will retract my opinion and comments.

11. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

I think you are responding to single posts without reading the previous post after this review.

Please start from page one.There has been some good responces in the previous posts that i think you may need too take a look at.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

wait wait.... wait....

Going through all the critizing posts in which there is literally insults being thrown even if some somewhat need to be read between the lines...

Most of the complaints are about the "scoring".....

really? Can anyone really score a product out of ten.....? I'd love to give everyone there chance to review a product and then try and score it accurately... and what is accurate? Everyones opinion will be very very different.

13. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I said earlier on Judas, some people make to much of the scoring and forget about the actual review.

But people see what they want to see...

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I really don't appreciate being called stupid. Negative rep given.

15. elexier909

elexier909 New Member

This seems like a fair review, pretty much what other sites are saying, sucks at single threaded tasks, But gaming it brings the grunt needed and evan gives the i7's a run for there money.

What I would like to see however is a REAL everyday use comparison.

Everyday use for me and probably alot of other people is:

Running multiple programs at once.

MSN
    A voice over program (vent ts or similer)
    A web browser with a tab or two open, maybe streaming a vid
    A gam in the background like WoW or MW2 or similer
    A anti virus
    A anti spyware

Heck have em both runnning a scan at the same time, THEN run one of those big tests, That would push the CPU, although You might need a Solid state drive to test fairly so to eliminate the HDD read/write times.

That sort of test I think would show how well CPU's perform when there doing more that 1 task.

And to those saying about Running games at max res makes the GPU do it all are talking out of there backside and here is WHY.

I have a GTX 275, A powerful card for its age, still retails around £120. Now the games I run are:

WoW = around 90fps with everything up full accept the AA
    BFBC2 = Hit around 30 fps at pretty high settings
    MW2 = 30ish FPS everything maxed
    Minecraft = 110 fps - (THIS is a cpu/ram intensive game not a graphics game)

Now all this is with msn/web browser and a voice over running.

This is on a 24 inch widescreen all at max resolutions, All of these are with my current setup witch uses a very old cpu, Athlon 64 x2 6000+ running at stock 3.1Ghz.

The bottleneck here is MY CPU its gimping my graphics card to no end.

Someone give that CPU a real workout and throw as many apps at it as ya can then run a cpu benchmark, I would put good money on the FX8150 pass with flying colours and easily keep up with a i7.

16. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

MSN, web browser and voip have very little impact - I don't tend to see more than a few FPS difference between all my background programs running and none of them, and I'm only running a dual core.

That said, I too found multitasking tests very noticeable by their absence in all of the Bulldozer launch reviews.

17. Stuart_Davidson

Mainly due to how hard it is to get reliable results i would say. In our tests we try to get multi-threaded as much as possible (adobe media encoder and dBpoweramp being great examples of multi-core use) but multi-tasking isnt as easy.

Will have a think about how to address that.

18. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

You could always use various programs and then give your opinion on how it feels. I am sure that will go well with some people.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

19. elexier909

elexier909 New Member

On a unrelated note, although slightly related.

I was waiting for these to come out for my new build but I think I will be holding off untill next year to see what piledriver brings to the table.

However I have a small Dilema.

I currently have:

Sabertooth 990FX motherboard
    8g DDR3 1600Mhz Corsair XMS3 ram

These two items are sitting on a shelf gathering dust mainly because my current cpu Athlon 64 x2 6000+ (3.2GHz) won't fit the new board as its too old. (I thought it was the Athlon ii x2)

Now seeing as I am waiting till next year where I will either get the 8150 or the new piledriver, Should I just leave them boxed or should I shell out £50 and get the Athlon ii x2 witch is AM3 and will mean I can use the shiny new board and go from 4gig DDR2 to 8gig DDR3, Also My girlfreind can then go upto a 64bit system and my dad wants my old board/cpu and 2 gig of the ram for £100.

I wouldnt damage the ram running it at the lower 1333MHz would I ?

thx

20. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

How about playing a game on its own and recording min/max/avg FPS, then running your photoshop benchmark and recording the score, then doing both at the same time and seeing how the results are changed?

Of course this risks an ambiguous result where on one platform the game does well while photoshop does badly and on the other photoshop does well while the game does badly.

I gather that Piledrive won't be a colossal improvement - I think your best options right now are selling the 990FX board and buying an Intel platform or buying an FX 8120/8150/6***.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.