AMD FX-8150 Black Edition Processor Launch Review @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Can I join in your benchmark competition? I'd like to test at at least 2560x1600 with 4xAA. I'll be using an i3, an H61 board, 4GB of cheap DDR3 RAM and a GTX590, which I think has a similar cost to your proposed FX-8150/16GB DDR3-1866/Aftermarket cooler/6970 system. :p

Of course I jest, but my point is that of course an FX system will be faster if you graphics bottleneck the competition. It's worth noting also that an i5-2500k performs almost identically in games to an i7-2600k, and of course is significantly cheaper. Furthermore, cheap P67 boards are available with all the FPS of a high end Z68 in single GPU gaming.

2. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

To be honest, I don't think that's what it is jandarsun8. HH's article is getting linked to a lot by AMD fanboys on other forums, especially in connection with the "AMD FX performs well on some motherboards" theory.

4. Casecutter

Casecutter New Member

Well sure... the more the merrier!
    But there a cost ceiling, as building gaming rig where the "money’s no object" isn’t reality.

You build within a budget and find balance and longevity, while obtaining that Holy Grail which is Bang for Buck. There are trade-offs… so right there’s no clear answers and when you’re willing to juggle the work load the CPU is a place to cut.

So put a under $900 budget on CPU, mobo, ram, CPU cooler and graphic card (no tax), how you/I would make trade-offs is never cut and dry. Building a gaming machine right today for <$900 in just the components mentioned, because some know an SSD will help this title, or that will play better on this game that takes the endeavor in a whole new dimension. But to make this more fun lets hold the PSU to say, a PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance that a nice $80-90 PSU right now on Egg.

So 5 parts that permits easy OC'n, some longevity, and a decent upgrade path so you’re not “binning” the whole mess in before the end of 2012. But then there’s that PSU sure you can pull out a GTX 580, but then PSU limits…

It’s never straight-forward. :duh:

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

So then we're agreed, 2500k+P67 ftw?

6. elexier909

elexier909 New Member

Ok Intel fanboys I CHALLANGE YOU, Disable the built in GPU in the Intel chips then do the gaming benchmarks the way you want, I bet my hat both CPU's will be near equal.

So the basic agreement here not counting the Intel fanboys just dirt slinging.

FX8150 performs well in the following areas.

Gaming - At high resolution this does well considering there is NO BUILD IN GPU in it, So keeping up with the i7 is very good.

Heavy Multithreading - Again It keeps up with the i7 in properly multithreaded app's

It sucks at:

Single threaded apps: Be honest though how much faster do you want the calculator to open or work out a sum (most basic single threaded app I can think of :p)

Power consuption when under FULL load, How often will it be under 100% load, not very often unless your a fanatic gamer - At this point power usage goes out the window and its all about keeping it cool enough not to go bang.

Ok the price could use comming down a little maybe £10-£25 less.

Seeing as this CPU is almost a DIRECT port from server cpu's it fairs well, Piledriver in Q1 next year should see big changes in the single threaded apps and power usage. We can only hope.

On a closing note, All those people that have AM3+ boards and setups now ready for this, you have 3 choices.

Jump ship and go Intel (The least appealing as it means a new Mobo as well as new CPU.

Keep current CPU with AM3 setup and wait for piledriver

Get bulldozer and be happy you have a CPU that will last at least a year or 2.

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

wait.... aren't the iGPU's by default disabled in most if not all cases (unless otherwise forcefully enabled by the user but at a limited 64mb shared memory capacity) where a video card is installed?.... thought it was completely turned off

8. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I really don't see how built in GPUs come into this. If anything, they're an advantage for Intel users due to QuickSync and having an alternate display output for when your GPU goes bang. The integrated GPUs don't help it in any of the benchmarks, and if they did, that'd be more points to Intel.

9. Casecutter

Casecutter New Member

If I use the FX-6100 with the ASRock 970 EXTREME4 I'm at $280.
    The i5 2500K is at $200... so what P67 would provide similar new feature like PCIe (x8/x8, x4) or SATA 6Gb/s, 4 ram slots while offering good overclocking for $80? I find ASUS P8H67-M EVO (REV 3.0) but it and the i5 is $325. I'm up $45... maybe CrossFire 6850 as two of those would be $260. A cooler and Ram say $150. That has me with $210 left out of the <$900.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

So that system's $690.

-Your choice of cooler and RAM: $150
    -SLI & CF ready SATA3 mobo: $110
    -[i5-2500k: $220] or [i3-2100: $125]
    -[6850CF/GTX460SLI: $260] or [GTX560Ti/6950 1GB: $225] or [6870CF/GTX560SLI: $310]

So the 2500k system with your GPU option (which is a much, much better system) comes in at only $50 more. The performance (and efficiency) jump from an FX-6 to a 2500k is surely worth at least that.

The i3 system with the top GPU option comes in at $695 - basically the same price, and you can be sure that this is going to be a superior solution in games. Only in highly threaded tasks will the FX compete unless very highly overclocked - at which point it will be using hundreds of watts more power.

Personally, however, I'd go for the 2500k with the GTX560Ti, coming in at $705. This gives the best CPU performance and overclock-ability and efficiency out there alongside a powerful GPU that won't suffer any of the disadvantages inherent in CF/SLI solutions. This solution doesn't need SLI or CF readiness on the motherboard either, so could drop onto a cheaper motherboard.

11. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

2500k for £140
    560Ti for £143

It's a wonder why you Newegg guys don't all have top-end. Those prices are almost worth importing for.

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

The UK prices are, I'd be willing to bet, set just high enough that it's not worth importing.

13. Casecutter

Casecutter New Member

Ok, A 2500k with a PNY GTX560Ti. :bleh:
    If you drop the second PCI slot I see it as limiting a upgrade path, probably killing finding many 4 Dimm slot boards, raid options and less of a competent OC’n mobo but that's your choice. (losing points)…

Power usage? :wtf: I’m gaming here… As long as the PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W can handle it efficiency is not on the table. While the 6850 CF OC’d top-out around 200W, that GTX560ti is more like 230W. CF 6850 scale excellent and there’s hardly (if any) issues nowadays, the stance on CF B-M is my worry, not your argument. It’s like me saying "worry about OC that PNY long term"… It’s pretty well known that two CF 6850 OC’d trump a GTX570 and encroach on the GTX580, this is turning into an interesting match.

Figure I could pull 4.5Ghz with the XIGMATEK Aegir SD128264, and still kind of trust the Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance (with 62A 12V+) will cover both CPU/GPU OC’s. I’m thinking some G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (DDR3 1866), so that and cooler are $128. I find PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH at $130 each –AR right today at Egg.

So, that puts me at $668, gentleman start the B-M’n at 2650x!

Single thread tiles like STALKER, Aliens vs. Predators will be close… no real difference in game play, while a multi-threads like Lost Planet 2 should shine. But, lets run the full gantlet Dx9-11, heck I like to see BF3 as that’s is very strenuous on CPU and GPU, and would $668 worth of components play it?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Ok, fine, but a 2500k doesn't need an amazing motherboard to outperform an overclocked FX-6100. In fact it probably doesn't need any overclocking at all.

I mentioned the single pci-e slot motherboard option because personally I'd never go for a multi-GPU rig (unless I won one or something). The efficiency (especially at idle), elegance, usability and reliability of performance of a single GPU wins it over for me. If you disagree, I won't argue, each to their own.

You have free electricity? :p

I agree that 6850s are potent and efficient cards - check out the rig in my profile :p If I was to buy today I'd pick an Nvidia card, but there's nothing to stop you using 6850s with a 2500k or i3.

You exaggerate their low power usage in CF, btw [
    HIS Radeon HD 6850 1 GB Review - Page 26/32 | techPowerUp].

Well single threaded (or poorly threaded) titles are where CPUs really make a difference in playability. It's in well threaded titles that the strain tends to hit the GPUs.

Any modern system will play it well. A strong dual core from either camp with 4GB of RAM and an 8800/GTS250/4850/5750 or better will be more than able at low to medium settings. At 2560*1600, I suppose you might want to step the GPU up to a GTX280/GTX460SE/4890/5830.

15. Casecutter

Casecutter New Member

How do you have any idea? You haven’t given one shred of information, when what we’re talking about is gaming at 2650x. You have to concede (you do below) the CPU has less and less to do with gaming and exactly what this conversational experiment is attempting to glean out. Though you want to fall back with i5 is great in single–thread synthetics you win. Its' real gamers who known it’s not all that clear-cut. I’m not saying either needs overclocking, but when it's about an enthusiasts’ gaming build it’s all about BfB, OC'n goes with the territory and with that I’m poised to say “bring it on”. ;)

In all my years I consider gaming machines for one thing… “gaming” and nothing more. I wouldn’t leave it running 24/7. I’ve a minimalist box for the email/web-browser, although; with Win7 “sleep” even that is not much of and concern as its’ not drawing power at idle if you set it up.

In the past I would’ve agreed in the single card solution, but things have change and dual cards are not plagued with finicky problem we knew of in the past. Discarding a enthusiast card early because it no longer gets to the level you require is akin to throwing good money down the drain, for minimal bump in performance to get the succeeding generation. Honestly I don’t normally advocate jumping right in to the dual card set-up, but in this case it's BfB is undisputable, while it will be an easy sell individually in 8-10 months. One enthusiast branded card not so much.

When I’ve spent $1000-1300 on the entire set-up (including the monitor) the cost to play it “hard” and then turn it off is inconsequential, if you distressing about that stick a PS2 or Xbox.

And why I went 6850 CF they could keep me with the PSU envelope. It's your choice to use Nvidia in this theroretical experiment?

I’ve been doing this for years and honestly, I've found this list to be the most comprehensive when determining power usage in "real-world" and have found it consistent and authenticating.
    The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 - Atomic 3.0

Read the conditions the W1zzard uses to garner those top number “Furmark Stability Test”. Even though not wholly verified with a GTX560ti, we know Nvidia has used the ability to detect FurMark and then throttle back the power consumption, while FurMark is not indicative of real world usage or consistency.

Exactly why I’m advocating compressive gaming rig match-up in regards to “Bang for Buck”.

Ah, you obviously haven't been reading up on the requirements for BF3… :duh:
    Battlefield 3 (BF3) System Build Guide - What you need to succeed | PC Perspective

16. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

What blibbax said is quite valid: low-powered components will suffice when it comes to medium-low graphics, depending on the resolution that you have set for the game. The game wouldn't sell if every person needed to have a £700 system just to play at an acceptable frame rate.

17. Casecutter

Casecutter New Member

While it may be able to get "rendered" by such components, concessions are made and quality suffers. Who amongst us is striving for mediocrity?

Remember they have a Zotac AMP GTX 560 OC or Gigabyte 6780 OC to achive the average 60 FPS @ 1680x Med. This game looks to pummel GTX460SE/5830, while GTX280/4890 @ 1680x may get 45FpS, but would see them dipping below the 30Fps even with low settings; while those with SLI/CF of those should fair just fine. (Wasn't GTX460SE pretty much stood for "Sucky Edition")

Play of that level I can't even consider it mainstream gaming enjoyment, new enthusiasts’ cards or (older SLI/CF) are the only one's who will enjoy BF3 game for quite a while.

It's like Crysis was 4 years ago... The new mantra... can it play BF3? :hmm:

18. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

It's not just about bangs for buck, in my opinion, but also about elegance, usability, efficiency etc. for buck. In addition, given the number of reviews already out there, I don't need to give one shred of information to prove an i5's dominance over an FX in gaming wherever the CPU has a chance of being the bottleneck, which, presumably, in a pure gaming system as you discuss, is all that you care about.

Perhaps you should include your minimalist box in your $900. If you run a system for a few hours a day using 500W for 4 years, say, it'll cost you £332 to run. And that's at current electricity prices - they're not about to go down - and presuming that you only use it for your gaming requirements. Personally, however, my PC is on for more than a few hours per day but probably only games for one or two hours per day in 6 months of the year.

Like I said, each to their own.

I can't justify spending that much on a PC in the first place, but I see your point. I do think that a PC is worth the extra 6p per hour of electricity for the gaming enjoyment vs. a console.

19. Super XP

Super XP Aggressive Hi Def

All Bulldozer based CPU's are being priced upwards due to Supply & Demand. That really sucks.

20. juvat

juvat New Member

Thank you for the informative review. I would like to have seen if FSX had any performance improvements with the new hardware.
    jimb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.