AMD/Intel...Who Really Cares???

Discussion in 'Flame Warzone' started by Necrosis, Nov 28, 2002.

1. reefman5045

reefman5045 New Member

we need both to keep prices down. But what program need that type of speed i can only type so fast anyway. :tears:

2. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

dg

Voltaire was a whiny elitist bastard too...like I've said before, I'd rather have a RISC based processor farm than either intel OR amd. hehe

3. SabrWolf

SabrWolf New Member

some ppl care, maybe just to show they know their stuff, or maybe they are truely trying to give good advice and not let others be fooled by marketing slogens..

4. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

2 Cents

The Athlon XXX (whatever) processor was designed to compete with the Pentium III processor. I think it's done very well to keep up with the P4's, and when the P4's were introduced it whipped them too. The immature HA HA we are faster now is getting old. Now since I have personally owned a P4 setup my thinking about the matter has changed. I still prefer AMD over Intel though. Currently the speed increases are becoming rather pointless since once you get to a "certain" speed it's all just nit - picking from then on. I can't wait till AMD releases their Hammer to see what type of impact it will have on the market.

(side note about cost/performance)

Intel currently is faster but you will pay for that speed. Once the granite chipset is out in full force the days of rambus will be numbered. Thus this will reduce the cost of a P4 system hopefully.

Anyway, if you have owned two current (correctly setup & well running) systems based around both processors you do learn something. There is a certain feel to a system as to it's responsiveness, reliability, and just the nature of how it runs. My P4 was great in games, but seemed sluggish compared to what I have now for everything else. I even score higher in 3DMark2001SE with the Athlon system which I honestly thought my score would drop. No, I'm not saying my P4 system sucked or that Intel sucks. It's just going back to the old arguement of personal opinion & experience.

I don't care what anyone else says. The only thing I care about is what I think and what I know from what I've learned through experience. Now that doesn't make everyone else wrong but it sure as hell doesn't make them right.

5. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

I guess most of you haven't realized that AMD is more efficient. AMD CPUs run at less mhz but perform just the same as a P4 running about 200-300 mhz more (depends on the XP # ie. 2400, 2600) AMD are more efficient per clock cycle. So you can buy a P4 2.6 and an Athlon XP 2600. The Althon runs at what....2.40 ghz but it's equivalent to running a Pentium 4 2.4 ghz..

6. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

Hey, for a change, can we have all the people WHO DON'T GIVE A DAMN about which is better, to post about their indifference??

I, for one, care less about this AMD vs. Intel rivalry, than I care about deciding to cut my nails today vs. tomorrow. :hmm:

PS. Kelsey smells :dead:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2002
  7. Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian Master of my own Destiny

Screw you I still say Intel is the best and is showing it with their newest chips AMD just can't go that high.

8. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

Go how high? Mind you, AMD is more efficient per clock cycle. So an AMD chip running at 2800mhz would be equivalent to a Intel 3ghz. And as far as this shit, I don't care what you think is better. There are stats. Those stats say it all. Is it worth the extra money for intel? Who knows? WHO GIVES A SHIT!?!?

9. Kelsenellenelvian

I've seen proof of intel chips oc'ed clear up to over 5gigs how can amd beat that??

10. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

Lets see it on the market. What's the point in saying this stuff when we can't get out hands on it.

11. Kelsenellenelvian

Check THIS 3DMARK out without extra-special cooling measures thes guys have oc'ed a p4 3.06 to 4.128. With some thing like a mini freon cooler or dry ice it could go to 5.5 without a problem.

Amd bench marks also have shown that under heavy loads they tend to bog down quicker.

Its widely known that intel chips perform better under heavy loads (live severe multi-tasking) so from a big buissness point intel would be better, but I think that from a gamers point amd performs better with games and home apps that don't max a systems cpu out and they go faster from the start but peter out with the heavier tasks.

Lets try and educate people more instead of just throwing (you like intel or amd so you suck shit.)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2002
  12. Necrosis

Who cares how high these chips can over clock? If they can reach that speed then why isn't Intel releasing them at that speed? Wouldn't that pretty much take a big shit all over AMD if they did so? How does this really prove Intel chips are better? The normal average computer user is not going to overclock their computer.

Maybe for a server Intel is better for the time being. However, from a work station point of view it depends on what you want to do with it. The reason why Intel "might" have this lead is because of the fsb and/or memory bandwidth. Besides w/ my P4 setup I would convert very large audios files w/ no problem however was limited on the speed doing other things. Now with my new AMD setup it's like I'm not even doing anything at all with the processor. I can browse, mess around in Photoshop with no lags or hangs.

13. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

Yeah same here. I don't get any iconsistancies. And I'm on a 1.3-1.4 thunderbird. That's old shit. And you know that Intel holds so much of the current market because they advertise their asses off. Kinda weird that AMD doesn't advertise on TV (the biggest place to advertise) and yet they have slowly gained a portion of the market. I haven't seen an AMD commercial since they first released 3DNOW on their chips.

14. Vampyromaniac

Yeah so it turns out I'm gonna cut my nails today.

What were you guys talking about ? Oh the same stuff . . .

k, I'll go cut my nails now

15. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

Hahaha good one.

16. Kelsenellenelvian

What color are you going to paint them today Vampy??

17. Vampyromaniac

I'm court-restricted from purchasing nail polish, magic markers, or model airplane glue. :(

18. Smoothdrive

Smoothdrive Foolish Genius

Amd or Intel..do i care..no not really no..

To me it is very simple..if price is no issue and you want quality you buy Intel..if price is an issue just buy AMD..

The way i see it this has always been the case.

When i bought my current system i wanted a flatscreen so i saved some money by going for AMD instead of Intel at that time Intel was only up to 2,2 at that time so the 2000+ was a much cheaper and the difference was hardly noticable
    I do not oc..don't see the need..

19. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

t

Hmm...workstation users...they don't need anything more than 500mhz....if you mean workstation users in professional design firms...then they need intel processors, since Intel procs perform almost twice as fast in rendering applications than the fastest AMD processors...but if they are "gaussian blur monkies" working for some frilly "artistic design firm" then they would love AMD, because they could hold it over everyone like the hold their prowess of alpha blending nipples to fish over everyone.

I'm high/

20. Necrosis

Like I said it depends on what the workstation is doing.

If your doing true CAD work Athlons are still better than P4's.

BTW, who was it that switched over to AMD not to long ago? It was a highly renowned design firm too. Anyone remember?