AMD Phenom 2 X4 810/ X3 720 BE - DDR3 review @ DH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Feb 24, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Review Here

Nearly two months ago AMD launched the Phenom 2 with the main benefit over the original Phenom being enhanced performance on the higher end model. That was not the only improvement though as technology such as cool n quiet was improved and as a result the launch was quite successful, even if the processors were priced a little high. At that point the one thing which was missing from the AMD line-up was support for DDR3 which Intel have been providing for quite some time, today we look at the first couple of CPUs which resolve that issue.

2. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

Would anyone buy one of these over a similarly priced Intel CPU? im really, honestly curious? :confused:

3. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

I would have if they had shown better results. I'm just more comfortable on the AMD platform and honestly like the challenge of OCing more *shrug its my thing. But its nice to know that my system that I just got done upgrading is still fine and that I made the right decision by not waiting for AM3.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Well, AMD has been honest and when they first launched Phenom 2 they said that they didn't expect any significant performance boost from switching to DDR3 (see the AMD supplied chart here). It's still underwhelming though.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

if amd could take a step back.. and do something just as revolutionary..... they could provide a technology that would easily take the cake... and then devour it without waiting.

What i'm surprised about is that fact that with the current technology, that the conceptional designs of making single slot dual channel configurations a reality with that, the possibility of quad channel memory... specially DDR3 and DDR4 (or whichever comes next) as a working solution.

from my understanding, the pin configuration of current DDR3 would require slight revising to allow the system to read each end as an independant "stick" so to speak, the concept is similare to that of a dual core cpu, only it's like a dual channel ram module.

Top that off with AMD getting thier Native quad core cpu's properly up to speed, and they could easily trounce the i7 platform.

6. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

agreed :D see the interesting thing I've been seeing surface since the Phenom II release is the guys doing massive oc's are getting some scorching results in performance out of these chips. I guess it then goes without my saying that if AMD puts some more effort into making these faster chips they may very well follow the OCing trend. (without the massive heat and tears when they break :rofl:

7. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I still don't quite get why people would want to go with DDR3 in the first place. I'd certainly consider the Phenom 2's if I were building a new system today, even with overclocking in the picture. A year ago I didn't hesitate to go with one of Intels 45nm Core 2 Dous but today AMD can at least offer something compelling in the mid range market.

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

after using both a phenom 2 and intel Core I7, imo, i find the Intel solution for the best bang for the buck.... is the winner... .but that's just me.. i mean the 920 is just insanely powerful with a triple channel solution.

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Great review Stu ;)

I am a little disappointed as well to be honest. AMD for me back in the day was the best bang for the buck and Intel had a hard time keeping up.

I agree with Judas they should take step back and do something revolutionary they certainly have the potential to do so. The other factor to consider here though is AMD is in bad shape so maybe the thinking is lets get the new stuff out and hope? *shrugs*

10. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Except there is no Phenom 2 in the price range of a Core i7, and the Core i7 requires DDR3 as well as an expensive motherboard.

craig5320 likes this.
  11. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

i wouldn't mind moving up to a Phenom II this being the main reason

12. Jejking

Jejking New Member

Overclocking page:

MaxOC GPU => MaxOC CPU

13. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Very true but DDR3 is really coming down and sure the X58 boards will come down as well. I am going to pick up another 2G of this OCZ RAM I think at this price I can always use it for an i7 build or whatever ... I have had it running 1453Mhz @ 1.7V (EVP 1.9V).
    Canada Computers - Memory > Desktop Memory > DDR3 1333 PC3-10666+ : OCZ (OCZ3G13332GK) Gold DDR3 2X1GB DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-26 Dual Channel Memory Kit .

(A bit off topic I guess but just wanted to show how DDR3 is dropping in price)