AMD QuadFX FX-70 Platform Performance & Overclocking @ Legit Reviews

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: Legit Reviews
    The AMD QuadFX platform hasn't made too much noise since it was launched a couple months ago, but the reasons are obvious to all. It's expensive to build, consumes energy like a muscle car and there is only one motherboard to pick from for those thinking of building a QuadFX system. When the QuadFX processors came out on November 29, 2006 they were expensive and not a great value for the level of performance they produced. Now over a month later and after rumors of slow sales on QuadFX systems, one would think that prices would go down on the parts, but they have actually gone up! Looking at an online retailer like Newegg it's obvious that each pair of QuadFX processors has gone up ~$100 across the board.

2. zaim

zaim Well-Known Member

i don't get it....... this quad setup isnt faster than a QX6700 is it

3. Iria

Iria New Member

Maximum PC has an article this month. Same results. This move by AMD just doesn't pan out.

4. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

lol if you look in the off topic forum then you'll find my AMD quad core smahed by intel QX6700 hehe ya people got a little pissed

5. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

Same situation Intel was in when AMD released their Opteron CPU many years ago.

It shifts back and forth but one thing Intel has that AMD does not - is money. IF Intel wanted to, they could out-fab, out-develop, out-justaboutanything AMD. Its a pretty aarogant statement, I know, but if you put aside personal feelings, you'll find its very true.

I look at it as 'competition' which is bringing prices down and moving us ahead in technology.

6. Zeph

Zeph New Member

NUMA.
    2x2 and 4x4 isn't designed for XP. Once reviewers get a bench on it in Vista they'll notice the difference bigtime.

7. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

this guy really has a point, one thing Intel always had that one thing AMD never had....... a good marketing strategy.

i mean you see intel processsors in those widely marketed Dell and HP computers, i bet if you ask any 10 random people on the street what theyre perferred CPU is 6 are gonna say Intel, 2 are probably gonna say AMD, and the last 2 will be like whats that?

i would feel sorry for the 2 clueless ones but on a more related point, with this many people for Intel they are probably freaken rich and couldve outdone AMD a while back possibly but i guess didnt. but also wasnt there something that said intel is losing money for some reason?

8. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Corporate/AboutAMD/0,,51_52_14405,00.html

I think AMD do a fair job of marketing, millions of viewers over 200 countries with stickers on the cars, helmets and overalls as well as the telemetry teams. I do know what you mean though Intel is more widely known.

Anyway i'm quite interested in the road-mapped AM2 quadcores that are down for release this year. I still think multiple cores are grossly underused at the moment though and it's going to take a lot of driver and software development to even unleash a dual-core.

9. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

ya i was really wondering about AM2 since it just suddenly went to socket L and hardly any development was being made there anymore

10. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

I think you're being too optimistic, the break down would probably be more like this:
    1 guy: AMD
    2 guys: Intel
    5 guys: Huh?
    2 guys: Dell

;)