AMD R290 causing computer to restart randomly

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by isaak, Mar 3, 2014.

1. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Sapphire Tri-X R9 290... and since have had issues with my computer. The main problem is that the computer will randomly restart... sounds loops/trips for a second or so then black screen and its turning back on. All event viewer gives me is 'Kernel-Power Errors' which haven't really helped.

I've tried:
    -Various AMD driver versions
    -Reseating the card (and different PCI-E slots)
    -Underclocking the card
    -Stress testing CPU, RAM and graphics card (all fine, no errors, heat not an issue)

???!

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Power Supply?

Any chance it's sharing power trunk with something else?

isaak likes this.
  3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

PSU was the first thing that came to my mind as well. Second is, what did you have installed before? If it was an nvidia card and you still have some left over drivers they could cause problems.

isaak likes this.
  4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Typically a power related issue won't give you a sound looping crash and reboot quite like that.... not saying it won't.. just saying it's usually not what happens.

The audio looping style crash and auto reboot without a blue screen haven't really been a common thing since people dumped windows xp and moved onto the vista kernals/os's (windows 7 and 8 included). And more recently I've seen more and more video cards and psu's in which they don't immediately hit their max draw/output limits and mostly just become a little unstable won't usually crash and burn like this, but the card will go into low power mode and produce a driver stop warning followed by a windows driver recovery which can take up to 60 seconds to trigger.

However in the few cases in which I've seen this happen in terms of a looped audio and then crash~> reboot. It's ended up being a tough thing to narrow down sometimes.

Generally i'd say that it more likely on the side of being the video cards issue in which an RMA would be best. But I've seen some even rarer cases in which the motherboard and choice card have a weird capability issue that really doesn't make sense.

An example of which is the entire HD5xxx series lineup would NOT work with the the ATI 3200 chipset based boards, which seems incredibly bizarre... a 4870 or 4870x2... no proble.... but damn you if you slip a HD5xxx model in.....

I've ran into a few oddities with the x58 intel chipset with a select few cases. Frankly it still bothers me and I couldn't get a response from Asus nor Intel or AMD about the matter (sapphire/HIS video cards, I contacted them to... but they were useless)

I've been reading some relatively rare posts about the x79's chipset and it's relatively poor implementation of PCI-ex 3.0 spec which apparently "could" cause some issues, but that's more down to what appears to be defaulting to a PCI-ex 1.1 mode which obviously would KILL performance on a highend pci-ex 3.0 card. But at least it's a newer chipset and apparently things are being fixed for it.

Personally i'd run some memtest over the course of a night... Slap a different video card in it and "see".... but it's random.... I guess the best alternative is to yank the card and stuff it into another machine and see how it fairs.

5. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you mean by 'power trunk' but the card is plugged directly from my Corsair AX750 8 + 6 pin PCI-E plugs.

I'm hesitant to believe its a power problem because it can run stress tests fine... come to think of it though, the problem happens mostly (99%) when I'm playing WoW. Seems to be others with this too, and they're pointing towards drivers. Ugh

I've run Memtest overnight, no errors found. The video card I had in before was a 5870 and that worked perfectly (its what gave me faith originally in AMD/Sapphire!). Unfortunately I don't have a system strong enough nor with enough room to try the 290 in :dead:

Thanks for the responses, I'll test a few things and see how it goes.

6. Judas

I was just thinking.. have you tried switching the directx version on wow just to see if that seems to change up anything...

you could try backing it down to dx9.0c mode....

And is it mostly ONLY wow.. or are we talking about it being 100% flawless in say a 3Dmark's latest benchmark repeatedly being ran... maybe even on a loop for firestorm mode.

It's tough to narrow down a single thing.... I initially have the 290 4gb myself and then dropped it once it hit a crazy dollar value. I'd prefer to ride things out until the marginal die shrink and 2nd generation of the Hawaii gpu arrives....

isaak likes this.
  7. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Could always be a case of bad luck to get a brand new card that is actually faulty, but given the age of the motherboard just maybe there is some kind of incompatibilty involved. Check so that you have the latest BIOS, and try once resetting the BIOS (clear CMOS) just in case.

My MSI R9 290 card has a mini DIP-switch on it that can be set in a legacy position to work better with older motherboards. Although I'd guess that's mostly for solving boot problems, in case the Sapphire R9 290 would have something similar then that might be something to look at.

isaak likes this.
  8. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Haven't played much today, and no crashes. I am noticing some slight artifacting - black squares quite [very] rarely (one or two at a time, no more than 10x10mm) when watching YouTube/flash apps. This would have to point more toward the card (drivers?) being faulty... I'm just worried about having to return as my shop might not be able to recreate the issue.

Knocking it down to DX9.0 was suggested on the WoW forums and I'll try that, but I fiddled with a few other things and its been fine so far. Crossing fingers and putting this on hold until I can see for sure... :)

+rep to those who it lets me!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  9. Judas

Youtube video artifacting?.... yeah that's not right at all..

And chance you can do a bare bones fresh install of windows (without messing up your existing one) with just the drivers and maybe a few games you can copy over and test.... just to make sure...

10. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I played WoW for a short while this morning and the problem occurred - sound tripped/looped for a second then auto restarted.

After sitting on a webpage with javascript for quite a long time, the black squares appeared once or twice as well. The closest I can really find is this: http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5791/artifact2u.jpg, although just that black square (or two) somewhere on the web browser (in this case Chrome). It is not just on the java though, it could be on the bookmarks or address bar.

11. Resistor

Resistor Get it Going..

Time to go for warranty if it artifacting without load.

By the way is it the stock HSF card?

12. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

It's the Tri-X cooler. http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/first-page3.jpg

What is the likelihood of it being an incompatibility with X58 architecture?

Haven't played WoW at all tonight and it's been fine, although the black squares showed up just then when I opened a gif in Chrome.

13. asedsa

asedsa Active Member

I checked your system specs through PSU calculator and it seems that your PSU could be a problem due to insufficient power. I know that Corsair AX750 is very strong but besides vga card your specs include many other power consumers.

14. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I'm really not inclined to believe that... the system has always been completely stable, not to mention I've had the card running at 100% load with no issues. I've also seen plenty of others running with less than what I've got.

Still no WoW, and no crashes. It's gotta be something to do with that - but then there's the rare black squares (haven't seen one since the gif in last post).

15. Judas

I do know that the r9-290 sure eats power though.. some of them peaking at 360-400watt draw under some conditions.....

so it is possible that the psu may be riding well above the 75-85% draw line causing some instability in the rails.

I'm not going to rule anything out.

16. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Could be a good idea to get an instrument to measure how much power it draws. I have one and I was surprised to see how much my rig really uses when it's working at full load.

17. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

It's really fine power consumption-wise, unless the PSU is flawed of course. The extreme power numbers that have been seen in some R9 290 reviews are in situations with heavier overclocking and raised voltages, or figures where the full system power draw was measured at the socket. The AX750 PSU should normally be able to run two R9 290 cards together with an i7 CPU, without much overclocking.

18. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Just "off the top of my head" things to try:

First thing I would do is run everything at default clock rates, not just the GPU. You mentioned you underclocked the card back to defaults, but did you also clock your system back? I'm not thinking that this is heat related, but more that the idea here is to stabilize the voltages (although I'm not sure how you've overclocked, but generally once you start overclocking something like the CPU, so do things like the bus, expansion slots, and what not).

*note*
    I did read that everything "stress tested" fine as is, but I'm trying to see if the card is being finiky when the system is overclocked. If it works when the systems clock rates are running at default.... well.. you'll know, right? If it doesn't, then that's one thing you can cross off the list of possible causes.

Secondly, try removing 2GB of RAM. Don't worry that the system is triple channel as it will run just fine with just 2 sticks (it'll run in single channel mode).

Try updating your sound and network card drivers. If you are running the onboard Realtek audio try getting the latest off of their site @ www.realtek.com.tw . For the onboard Marvell Gigabit LAN, give THIS driver a shot. Also, don't forget about the bios.

Which drive is WoW installed on, and is it on a drive attached to the Marvell controller? If it is on that controller, what do you have it set to? Compatible/regular, or is it set to RAID? One thing I hate about most X58 boards is that manufacturers usually paired it with a 3rd party Marvell controller to get their SATA3 (6GB/s) ports, and when that controller was set to anything but the standard compatible/standard it had a great chance of causing a whole lot of issues. In any case, if it is on a drive attached to the Marvell controller one thing to try would be to move the WoW folder to a drive on the Intel controller, and run it again.

Graphics driver wise, try going back to 13.11 beta 9.2 if you can. I've been having clients complaining about the newer sets, some with VSync issues, and others with crashing problems, although none of them have a newer card, only older ones, so I'm not sure if this is going to help.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  19. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Everything is defaulted, including the CPU (hasn't actually been overclocked for a long while now). So all these symptoms have basically happened since installing the new card.

I did think about a clash with the audio drivers - I'm using a Creative X-Fi ;)

As for the drive, I'm not sure about which controller its plugged into, or how to check that.

Heading into the weekend again so hopefully can test some of these solutions out a little more.

20. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Since setting WoW to DX9 and installing those network drivers you linked, Tipstaff, the system has been ok. Still got the odd black square issue (see here: http://puu.sh/7mWCH.jpg)

No system crashes, but the AMD display driver just crashed and recovered (black screen for a bit then back like nothing happened). This is still the latest betas, haven't gone back to 13.11 yet.