AMD Radeon 6870 and 6850 Review @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Through many and various posts here, I've mentioned that I cannot get an active display using the several ACTIVE adapters I've tried. I've had to resort to using a Monster-brand, DP->VGA adapter in order to get Eyefnity to work at all for me. On my previous HD 5770 this worked a treat. No issues and no problems to report.

But, since selling that card and getting a HD 6870, I've had numerous problems and have tried several different adapters.

Due to the HD 6870 using a Mini DisplayPort, I've acquired a MiniDP->DP adapter in order to be able to use the previous adapters that are configured for standard DP.

The main problem now has been that, although I can get Eyefinity active using the Monster-brand DP-VGA adapter, there's a constant scrolling "bar" that moves upward across the screen similar to a low signal/interference image one gets on a standard TV at times.

So, I've once again, picked up the ACCELL ACTIVE MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter to see if I can get it working at all.

Well, the good news is, I can! BUT, ONLY at 800x600 resolution! Anything I attempt to do above this produces the blank/black screen that I've described previously. I do get a power signal to the monitor [constant blue light] and even get a "No Signal" on screen when I disable that screen from within CCC and the power light turns to amber.

Since the ACTIVE adapters are supposed to support up to 1900 x 1200, why isn't this working for me?

If it weren't for the low quality image via the VGA adapter, I'd leave well enough alone.

EDIT: Here is the "why" I'd really like to get the DVI working....

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

I'll drop AMD an email about your latest update now.

From my own side, i have tried a new configuration which i thought worth posting.

Screen 1: DVI>HDMI Cable
    Screen 2: HDMI Cable
    Screen 3: Displayport>Active Adapter (Bizlink) >DVI/HDMI Dongle>HDMI Cable

Works perfect. (Even with that mad 3rd config)... amazing how experiences differ!

EDIT: Also, whats your XFX case number? I'll speak to their head tech guy about it.

3. Dyre Straits

Thanks!

I've actually tried a configuration awhile back that very, very briefly produced a screen image using an HDMI cable. But, I may just try this again with some of the adapters I have here now.

The ticket number is: 336994

I've been getting responses from Mark C and Erik.

EDIT: OK, I had actually tried this using an ATI DVI-> HDMI adapter that had been included in a previous video card package I had bought. I get the same thing as above: 800x600 works but nothing above that.

EDIT 2: BTW, this is ONLY working when the adapter is plugged into the innermost MiniDP connection. There's no image at all at any resolution when plugged into the outermost one.

And, whether or not it's significant, here are some screen shots of the Windows Screen Resolution settings: Take note of the Device name that the DP Monitor is connected to. I've tried updating the ViewSonic drivers manually via the Driver Update and can actually get a successful update. But, it doesn't change this device designation at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One more image: This from CCC:

[​IMG]

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

My experience with the Eyefinity started when i picked up 3 of the Samsung 2343BWX 23" 2048x1152 Monitors.. all of which have DVI and VGA connections available.. AND DO accept and work great with a HDMI~>DVI cable/adapter connection..

Initially with the HD5770 by itself, and in crossfire with 2 and 3 cards in total.. the results were a nightmare...and then it repeated with the HD6850's

Using several DP Passive and "active" adapters recommended by amd/ati resulted in the display being picked up while not in eyefinity mode, but just as an extended display. I could have any combination of 2 monitors on at any given time, however in attempt to enable the detected 3rd monitor would result in it requiring me to disable one of the others to enable it.

After a that feasco where adding a VGA connection just to be thorough didn't change the matter.

Later on i found that moving to longer DVI cables resulted in EIDE Display information being incorrect, it was randomly losing connection/signal to the display or pulling incorrect values, forceing or allowing a 800x600 display or at most the DEFAULT maximum non-standard/non-pnp monitor modes windows 7 accepts. Perhaps this has something to do with Dyres problem, After replacing the monitor cables, the problem was resolved with the resolution/image loss issues again. And it also fixed the issue with playing back blu-ray as even the HDCP support wasn't working.

Back to the orginal issue.

A handful of the DP adapters i was using wouldn't even give me a picture, some of them would detect the monitor but wouldn't display anything, just a blank screen and the monitor going into standby, while others would only allow the 800x600 maximum resolution.

In the end i went out and got the sapphire Eyefinity POWERED Active DP adapter for the 5770's i was running which resolved all my problems. However i frequently, and more so today and it's getting worse, experiening loss of monitor connection through the adapter even though i'm keeping the adapter cool.

When i moved to the 6850, I repeated the EXACT same tests through all the orginal passive and unpowered Active display adapters, i could name of quite a number of the adapters i've used but, they simply ALL didn't work at all yet again. Catalyst control or windows would request that i would only be able to REPLACE the monitor.. not extend or clone even.

Only after plugging in the semi working Sapphire Powered ACTIVE Display adapter would i get the 3 monitors to work again.

I've recently sold the 6850 i had and went back to my triple crossfire 5770 setup with the sapphire solution for the time being. But i'm actually waiting on a reliable and permanent solution to surface as frankly after about 300 dollars spent on unworking DP adapters... many of which i was able to return without much of a hassle.

I guess in short....

I can use the 2x DVI/1x HDMI connections in any combination of only 2 displays..... can't use all 3 which is normal i know. All the problems are due to the Trying to use the ONE DP port using adapters on the 5770's, or trying to use 2 of them on the 6850. In my case, i could use 2 passive adapters that would work, and enable BOTH DP ports at the same time and get a proper display, but that is all i could do.. i couldn't use the 2x dvi/1x hdmi for anything without using an active powered sapphire adapter on the DP ports.

Here Is a common issue seen with almost all of the "working" passive and unpowered active adapters i've used

By working i mean it'll work IF i don't try eyefinity and only drive the display with the adapter when only 2 displays are used at one time.

[​IMG]

5. Stuart_Davidson

Thanks Judas, have passed your info to AMD as well.

6. Dyre Straits

XFX requested that I try installing Windows 7 x64 Pro onto a separate hard drive to assure that there was no quirks in my OS.

So, as requested, I did that. It changed nothing.

7. Stuart_Davidson

I will chase the tech guy I know again, and AMD.

8. Dyre Straits

I got another response from Mark C at XFX. Here's the essence of what he told me:

AMD Tech told him that I've either had bad luck with a run of bad adapters, OR the EDID in the monitors I have is not sending what the video card is looking for. This is the reason that my DP-connected monitor shows up as "fake" in CCC. It's also why it does produce an image at 800x600 but not above that.

Since I'm not inclined to believe that every single adapter I've purchased is bad, I'm leaning toward the EDID in these monitors being the culprit.

I hope to get my hands on another 24 inch LCD of a different brand to at least test this out.

In the meantime, is there anyway to trick the video card into seeing an EDID that would work? I've read something about that over at WSGF but haven't tried it.

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Dyre.... since you have 3 monitors that at identical... why not just hooked the DP up to each of the 3 displays and see..

If the results are reproduceable on each of the 3 displays.... we will know that the EDID information is just fine (and clearly it is fine when using vga/hdmi/dvi...... Obviously the DP adapters are causing total confusion and are not working properly.

Because one of the recommendation i got was stating that my EDID information was messed up on the monitors and wasn't the DP adapters or something.

In the case of the Cables i had gotten that were longer, resulted in EDID and detection issues...... the cables were to blame and reverting back to the other cables resolved that problem.... BUT the DP adapters still aren't working correctly... and there is a whole slew of them working incorrectly..

It's not bad luck... it's practically impossible for both of us... to run into similare if not identical issues with adapters and the same thing.

It would be interesting to know how many people have even bothered with trying eyefinity..... specially in the ways that we've tried.

Personally i would take that kind of a responce as just "grasping at straws" to side step the main issue of the adapters or the video cards not doing what they were stated to be able to do.

BTW, my sapphire DP adapter is royally toast i think.. it's really quickly failing i think.

10. Dyre Straits

FWIW, I have ViewSonic in the loop on this now.

I've also been told by XFX that the scrolling problem I have with the VGA setup should also not be happening. Now, with VGA, the monitor IS recognized correctly and it DOES have the latest ViewSonic drivers installed on it.

I'm reluctant to tender a guess of my own at this point. But, the adapters are definitely suspect. And, the problem IS reproducible on each of the three monitors I have here. So, it very well could be the EDID causing the problem for me.

If it were not for thie scrolling problem on VGA I wouldn't be harping on this so much. But, it was perfect on the HD 5770 with these same monitors and cables. Only the video card and its drivers, and the Mini-DP->DP adapter are different.

I'm going to rundown a Monster-brand MINI-DP -> VGA adapter just to see if the Mini-DP -> DP adapter could be the cause of this. BUT, my understanding is that it really should NOT cause a problem. I'm inclined to suspect any and every thing at this point.

11. Dyre Straits

Here's an interesting development after my system upgrade of the last two days:

The monitor connected using the MiniDP->DP adapter + DP->VGA adapter no longer shows the scrolling bar as shown in the video I posted.

Everything else is the same re: attempting to use the Sapphire MiniDP->DVI adapter, though. The ONLY difference is that the monitor now does show up listed correctly in CCC instead of the "fake" device. However, I can't get anything to display on it at any resolution at all, including the 800x600 once it gets past the "Starting Windows" screen. It DOES come up on that one screen and then it's gone again.

12. Dyre Straits

UPDATE: A SUCCESSFUL DVI Connection!!!

I need to add a little caveat to this as I only, a very few minutes ago, got this setup working. I don't know at this moment how long it will be stable. But, it IS working....finally!

What I did:

I broke down and bought an ACCELL Mini DisplayPort to DVI DUAL-Link Adapter. It's quite costly, though: $109.99 off the shelf at Micro Center.

This one has the separate USB Power plug to provide power to the unit.

There was a very slight delay when I first activated the display but it came up properly and I, at present, do have a 3x1 Eyefinity setup running.

If any problems develop, I'll update again.

13. Ace-UK

Ace-UK New Member

Hi Dyre Straits, how is that Accell adapter working out for you?

I have experienced the same problem with my 3 x viewsonic vx2433wm's on my new asus HD6970, i've treid an XFX active minidp to single-link adapter, a saphire active displayport to singlelink adapter conected via a saphire minidp to displayport cable.

The only time the dp monitor comes on is at 800x600 no matter which vx2433wm monitor I try;(

If you have not expirienced any problems using the Accell adapter I may purchace one reluctantly as that means in total I will have spent approximately £200 on adapters. (May aswell have just bought a second card and crossfired them if I knew it was going to cost so much time, money and effort on adapters)

I plugged on of my kids 19" dell widescreen monitors on the displayport and it works perfect at the monitors max resolution of 1440x900.

P.S could you tell me the exact model number of youre Accell adapter too please if you don't mind, tia.

14. Dyre Straits

I don't know WHY I missed this post...and your question...until now. So, my apologies for such a belated response. :(

The ACCELL adapter I'm using...and this seems to be the MAIN difference that makes it work.... is that it's a DUAL LINK adapter as opposed to the Single Link adapters I had been trying. The model is:

B087B-003J

This adapter has worked flawlessly for the few months I've been using it. Micro Center had it on sale for about $89 USD when I picked it up. The sticker was showing over $100 but I did get the discount.

Again, my apologies for such a delayed response. I hope you get this and have good luck.