AMD Radeon HD 7640G

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Lisa Quach, May 21, 2015.

1. Lisa Quach

Lisa Quach New Member

I have DDR3 2.5 GB Graphics set up which is composed of a 512 MB AMD Radeon HD 7640G, but I am unable to play Assassin's creed unity, please help me to solve this problem.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

While the video adapter is typically greatly insufficient for many games, it should be able to at least run it.

Either download and install the latest AMD drivers OR contact the manufacturer of your computer (if it's a laptop that restricts or prevents the installation of the latest drivers) for a proper driver. Your gaming experience with that gpu isn't like to be all that pleasant however.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Hi Lisa! Unfortunately, that card can't run Assassin's Creed Unity. Unity requires at least 1GB of graphics memory and a much more powerful graphics chip. It also requires at least 6GB of system memory (RAM). I'm sorry I can't give you better news.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

As IvanV has pointed out, the very lowest requirements to be able to play this game are:

Ubisoft has announced the minimum requirements for the PC version of Assassin's Creed Unity — .... At a bare minimum, the new Assassin's Creed game will require an Nvidia GTX 680 or AMD Radeon HD 7970, 6GB of RAM, and a Core i5-2500K or Phenom II X4 940 CPU.Date: Oct 24, 2014

5. Lisa Quach

Lisa Quach New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I want to elaborate my laptop specification, it has 1.9 GHz Turbo Core Technology A8 Quad Core APU/ 4GB RAM/ 2.5GB Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 7670M. I know the RAM is less then the minimum requirements. But I can play this game with low graphic settings.
    Please give me any solution.

6. IvanV

Okay, those are vastly different specs from the ones in the original post (even though the designations are quite similar, 7670M is completely different from 7640G, it's a completely different architecture with a bit more raw power). Do you have the latest graphics drivers? Catalyst 14.12 is the oldest on which you can hope to run this game.

What is your exact problem?

BTW, I tried to play the game on the following configuration:
    Phenom II X4 3.2GHz
    4GB RAM
    Radeon 6950 2GB

I ran it at 1366*768, with low textures, because at anything above that I would get swapping between RAM and harddrive and the game would freeze for several seconds whenever I suddenly turned the camera. Even at that setting, the game was borderline unplayable. So, if you can enter the game at all, try to set everything to low, especially make sure that textures and resolution are at the lowest setting possible.

7. Judas

Really IvanV?.... considering i've also the Phenom II x4 3.2ghz with a 6950 2GB (though bios flipped to 6970 mode), the game doesn't really have much of a problem with a vast majority of the settings are middle to upper range and in fact running @ 1920x1200. Seems a little odd.

The game does run poorly compared to other games IMO, not uncommon for ubisoft's garbage development history recently much like EA games.

7640G will run the game albeit very poorly even with 4GB of ram... A 7670M is considerably better at it but still is going to struggle, seeing as it's basically half the power of even a 6950M which is basically half the power of a 6950 desktop card. IMO it should run 720p resolution with marginal low settings "fairly" but not likely comfortably.

Really i personally think people expect too much from poor low end/cheap gpus... specially in a laptop that was never intended to house highend graphics systems.

8. IvanV

It ran a fair bit better for the short period of time I had it with the i7 (and a sufficient amount of RAM), but nowhere near being playable at 1920x1200. Are you sure you're talking about Unity?! Because AFAIK (and I've spent a lot of time on Ubisoft's and other forums), anything AMD that's pre-GCN runs the game horribly (GCN cards were poor on release as well, but a later driver literally doubled the performance across the board).

9. Lisa Quach

Lisa Quach New Member

This game needs 6GB RAM, I have only 4GB. With those graphics.
    Now please tell me, is there any solution to run this game on my laptop?

10. IvanV

The game should start even with 4GB. Also, if you set textures to low and resolution to something like 1280*720 or 1366*768, the amount of RAM should not be too big a problem. At least such was my experience with the PC I mentioned earlier and the early versions of the game.

So does the game even start and if not, what happens when you try to run it? Also, what are the make and the model of your laptop?

11. Lisa Quach

Lisa Quach New Member

After installation, it gives error that you don’t have sufficient RAM to run this game. Well I have HP pavilion G6 2301 AX laptop.

12. IvanV

Okay, I googled the laptop and found this.

The laptop comes with a total of 4GB RAM and dual graphics, integrated 7640G and separate 7670M. The integrated one borrows a bit of RAM from the system, so the remaining amount of memory available to the operating system is a little under 4GB. You can check that if you go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System and check under Installed System memory (RAM). Apparently the game has an issue with that.

What you can do is increase the amount of system memory in your laptop to 8GB. The documentation on the matter is scarce, so you best check for yourself to see how many RAM slots you have (most likely two) and what you need to do in order to upgrade.

But! While additional RAM may make your laptop run more smoothly in general, and allow you to start Assassin's Creed Unity, it may not be enough to make it run at a playable framerate. It is an extremely demanding (and unoptimized) game that's very demanding on both the processor and the graphics card.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  13. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

This pretty well sums it all up.

14. Lisa Quach

Lisa Quach New Member

Thanks for advice, I have checked. There are two memory slots but both are filled by 2-2 GB RAM.

15. Judas

replacing the memory with either a 4/2 or 4/4 may help out.. but honestly.... You might be investing in something that may result in a struggle to play regardless.

You're in a bit of a catch 22, any money you invest in the machine might be fruitless... so it might be better to save that money for replacing it with something more powerful and simply finding a way to perhaps sell the existing one to replace it.

I guess you could go to a retail store.. pick up an 4gb module.. stuff it in... see how it works.. and if your not satisfied..... pull it out.. put it back in the box and return it to the store as soon as possible for a full refund.