AMD Reality Check at FX GamExperience

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Jan 24, 2012.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

The Pepsi Challenge has been an ongoing marketing promotion run by PepsiCo since 1975. It all started when a Pepsi employee setup a table with two blank cups: one containing Pepsi and one with Coca-Cola. Shoppers were then encouraged to taste both colas, and then select which drink they prefer. Then the representative then revealed what brands were in each cup. At the end of the day the public was doing a blind taste test and the company was getting a consensus of what brand was preferred by more consumers. Over the years this test has been copied by thousands and today AMD is putting their own twist to the challenge down in Dallas, Texas for the FX GamExperience.

2. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

What's the catch on the high-end win? Did they find a game that can effectively make use of their architecture? Or did they only overclock one system?

Also, a more realistic low-end comparison would be something like a Pentium G620 and whatever Geforce card they could then afford (520?). Would probably have similar power consumption, too. I'd still guess that that'd be an AMD win, it just seems a fairer test.

3. caqde

caqde Active Member

Not really blibbax if you think about it most systems at that end are your consumer systems and they rarely if ever have a graphics card in them in this case I would have to say this is a pretty good comparison of what a low end consumer system bought today would be like.

As far as the highend one.. I have how anyone perceived a difference there it looks like they were doing a random vote. (In which case you get a number or (left/right) bias within the voters leading to what you saw although a pretty large variance though..)

4. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

This is a fair point. I was kinda relying on people making an intelligent selection.

5. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Did they only test one game in each scenario? If so then I'd say that it's bad benchmarking practise.
    Personally, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest whether AMD or Intel came out on top - I have no preference to either - but I'd like to see them compete in a variety of games.
    It's interesting to see that the AMD processor wasn't as clear a winner in the second test.