AMD Roundup August 09 @ Driverheaven

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 13, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Review Here
    Last week AMD launched the 785G chipset which features onboard DirectX 10.1 graphics and today sees the launch of a new high end Phenom 2 X4 CPU, the 965 Black Edition. Today we take a look at both to find out how they compare to products already on the market.

AMD are not the only company with something new to offer though, it seems like the last month or two has been a real boom time for their partners. Firstly Sapphire have decided to release a 2 GB version of the 4890 with enhanced cooling and factory overclock and then there is Asus with their OC Station. A device designed to fit in 5.25” drive bays and provide full control over all aspects of their Republic of Gamers range, including the recently released Crosshair III Formula.

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Excellent and detailed roundup worth you guys setting a bit of time aside to read through it I think. Interesting with all the variations and Black Editions of the AMD CPU's released the core i7- 920 still stands clearly above in the majority of the performance tests.

The Sapphire HD4890 2G is a nice addition and performs well. One interesting item I noted was the GPU assisted upscaling of DVD's.

3. HardwareHeaven

Indeed, but its also worth mentioning that the 920 intel CPU is £50 more than the 955BE in the UK. so for the price to performance AMD are actually rather hard to beat right now. 965BE is around the same price as the 920, so thats a little tougher.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Very nice, someone looking for ideas for a new system could find all he needs in there to make a reasonably priced and fairly high performing system. :)

I wish some of their partners followed in ASUS' footsteps and developed 4890 X2, I think that it would make a worthy rival to (regular) 295 GTXes.

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

True enough !

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Yes, but given that the only difference is multiplier, and they're both unlocked, it's kinda hard to justify the extra £50. As far I see it the 965BE is a bit of a daft CPU in its placement - it's priced to compete with low end i7, a task with which it will always struggle.

It's also sad to see that the current Phenom IIs, while excellent value as you say, are still not convincingly faster clock for clock than the original 65nm e6*** and q6*** series.

7. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

Zardon, when these things are overclocked, is the CPU- NB overclocked as well? Makes a huge difference in performance.

8. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Very detailed review i especially like the Sapphire HD4890 2G :)

9. HardwareHeaven

I think its a somewhat regular occurance to be fair. the same could be said of the intel 965 and 975 extreme editions as they are just block bumps. (although you could argue in this specific case that the 975 is the new D0 core).

I can't see it ever really changing tbh. People argue the 965 and 975 are daft buys with the 920 being such a mad overclocker, but we need to look at the mass market who probably never touch a bios.

10. humonous

humonous New Member

great review. I don't buy AMD cpus but I think the 955BE is a killer price for such good performance. 965BE is faster but the 955BE can do that easy even with decent air cooling. Maybe we are a different audience on DH to the mass public?

nice review V3 :)

11. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Yes, certainly this practice is not restricted to AMD. Look at the QX96 and QX97 core 2 quads also.

And, unfortunately, you're right about the mass market too. I don't really understand it - almost everyone knows the basics to look out for with a car when they buy it, yet most never bother to understand what's going on in a PC. Nevermind, that's a rant for another day :)

Mac Daddy likes this.
  12. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I agree completely and great analogy ;)

blibbax likes this.