AMD to launch quad-core K8L platform in 3Q07

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: DigiTimes
    _________
    AMD has indicated to motherboard makers that it will advance the launch of its quad-core K8L desktop platform to the third quarter of 2007, according to sources at the motherboard makers. Previously, AMD had reportedly scheduled the launch of the K8L platform for 2008.

2. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

Lol, quickly browsing through the subject lines, it looked like it said...

AMD to launch quad-core K8L platform in 3007 !!!

3. Matt

Matt Techy Bloke Wasting Time

LoL, but still 3Q of 2007 thats shocking, Intel are well ahead what the hell have AMD been doing the past year?

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

working on it?

amd launched there x2 well ahead of intel to the point of making intel jump the gun and just slap 2 cores onto a cpu and call it a dual core.... i'm not serprised.... that intel finally spit out a true dual core cpu and then wooped amd's ass...

5. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

I think AMD is trying to 1UP Intel by putting 4 cores on one single die whereas Intel's (introductary) Quad Core CPU is really 2 DualCore's linked by the FrontSideBus. All 4 are still on the same chip but I think AMD is trying to put all 4 together like Intel has done with thier Core 2 CPU's.

...which would explain why a company half the size of Intel, would need another year to get such a product to market.

6. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

speaking of quad core CPUs though, what about winXP home? i thought it could only support two threads/CPUs at once, whereas pro can support 4.

i know that by then vista will be out and all, but a lot of people will still be out using winXP

7. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Speaking of the cost of the quad cores. I doubt any one who'll have would still be running XP Home.

nForcer likes this.
  8. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

Much like someone owning a fancy sports car ... and complaining they have to pay more for Premium gasoline. Can't have one without the other! (and if you can afford a car THAT expensive...gas prices should be your least concern)

...in otherwords, like Necrosis said, if you want to run a QuadCore...you'll probably not (and better not be) running Windows XP Home Edition.

CDsDontBurn likes this.
  9. CDsDontBurn

lol.....ditto guys :).

10. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

Why shouldn't you? Uh, because the engine wasn't desgined to run on lower octane fuel? Because if you do, you risk clogging the engine with impurities...hell I'm not an engineer I just abide by what tests have shown!

As far as the Microsoft declaration on the subject, the topic was only regarding processors with HT ability. They re-estabilished that 'by CPU we mean physical CPU" therefore dualcore may only be 1 chip but 2 actual processors. Quad, being 4 actual processors, would mean you'd need a server-class OS to 'legally' run it.

Course that removes XP Professional as its only licesed for 2 physical CPU's (or a dualcore) which doesn't mean you cannot run it but I don't even think it will see or even utilize the last 2 physical processors.

Ugh, all this is making me dizzy. If you want to run a QuadCore machine, you're not likely to be running a Basic/Home Edition of any operating system. Much the same why you wouldn't run 8GB of RAM in a desktop machine unless it was designed for rendering (and in which case, if you're rendering on XP Home...WTF are you thinking!)

11. CDsDontBurn

will Vista have the cure for this "2 cpu limitation"? i haven't heard anything about that, but i'm sure somebody else around here has :).

12. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Well, even from MS's currently released product page on why it should be run:

13. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

actually i read somewhere that windows xp home does support quad coreā€¦ i think it was on anandtech

14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

MS appears to have completely revised it.

XP Home is designed to only use ONE CPU, with as many cores on it as it wants.

XP Pro is designed to be able to use 2 CPUs, with as many cores on either.

From that perspective, that means if you try and setup say a quad CPU setup (single cores) XP Pro will only utilize the first 2 cpu's only. While if you setup a dual CPU with Dual cores, all 4 cpu's will be used.

And if you setup a dual cpu with quad cores, pro would use all 8. (or so the understanding goes)

makes sense.. that way someone with a massive farm or server style machine can't just pop Pro or Home on a machine and say go!

PangingJr likes this.
  15. CDsDontBurn

that there judas, is impressive :). i hope it is understood correctly :).

16. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

ok i've removed the posts about petrol and the likes and placed them here for continued discussion