America #1 ? not after reading this....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Warpy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. digerati

digerati Everyones life has worth

My mom has put a roof over my head for the both of us earning at most 10 dollars an hour. Of course now with me working and getting financial aid things are easier, but things were in no sense of the word unliveable. We just found a place where rent was really cheap.

2. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Warpy:

Carpet Bombing :confused: Your ignorance of our military is starting to show. Carpet bombing doesn't happen any more. It's lots easier and a whole lot more efficient to 'paint your butt' with a laser, and stuff a 500Lb 'smart' bomb up it. That way we get more bang for the buck.

Take out China? Talk all you want about how 'big' China is, and how large their army is, and all of that, but quite frankly, if it was necessary, we could turn the parts that COUNT in China into radioactive parking lots. Just because it's a big country doesn't mean that they are unstoppable. It's not how much you bomb a country, it's where you bomb them.

But in the final analysis, the reason that you and folks of your ilk like to pick on the US is because we ARE #1. If, someone could 'flip a switch' and somehow when we woke up tomorrow, and any other country in the world was #1, say someplace like Nepal, I'm sure that the day after that, you would be in this forum bitching about what a big bunch of 'meanies' THEY are.

In the words of Foghorn Leghorn: "Go way boy, ya bother me".

3. Pompey

Pompey New Member

I doubt America will go down without a fight (not implying there will be a war). Remember they have poured billions into their military. Bush has requested over 420 billion for the fiscal year (2005). The gap between America and the rest of the world is so great that the EU cannot even match their power. The economy will continue to slide down but the US will dominate for several decades before China, India or the EU will be able to surpass it militarily.
    Many countries now have realised the weakness of the US dollar and are diversifying their cash reserves.

4. evrt63

evrt63 New Member

sorry i dont buy into any claims by the media. as far as i'm concerned the nyt pulled those stats out of thin air.

5. Pompey

Pompey New Member

If the US started bombing China the world would not hesitate to react. The emerging superpowers may not be able to beat you alone but combined your entire country will look like Hiroshima after the A Bomb.

6. solar_flare

solar_flare New Member

im confused ......i see america as the most powerful and yet i dont see why it is......why is it that we always listen to them as if they know whats best........and why are you all fighting about who continent is better.....we are just debating ....we are suppose to view this on both sides

7. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

I think the mods should change the name of this forum to the I hate Americans section. To call these types of thread debate is wrong, they are not debate, they are ignorant (for the most part) mud throwing. A debate has well founded questions and answers supported by facts, not loaded questions supported by inflamitory opinions that say nothing more than the same thing over and over again. This has become worse than the flame zone, or maybe should be turned into such.

8. BWX

BWX get out and ride

You wish, we have anti-ICBM tech that most people have no idea exists, I would bet anything on it. We could probably take the entire world out without a scratch.

What do you think goes on in Area 51? Little green men? Think again. Considering we spend more on our military than the rest of the world combined, and have the most advanced technology on the planet by far, I doubt we are the ones that should be worried.

9. mike2h

mike2h New Member

too funny!! thx for the laugh:rofl:

& sadly, this thread is a joke too. but not funny.
    some of you guys really need to stop worrying about which country is best/worse & put all that wasted energy into improving yourselves.
    attitudes like this are a good part of the reason we have wars & a lot of other problems.
    nationalistic pride is a good thing(if warranted). believing that it makes you superior in some way is another matter entirely.
    unfortunately this problem is worldwide(i spent 15 years of my life overseas.). humans generally seem to have this need to put down other people/peoples. as much as i dislike this characteristic i have found myself doing it on occassion.
    until we(the human race) find a way of working around this trait many of the problems facing this world are not going away.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  10. Turtle

Turtle Banned

Twenty percent of Americans think the sun orbits the earth

:eek:

11. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i would love to know were they got their info. could go downtown & ask everybody that comes by for the next 2 days & not get that awnser.
    i could get some silly answers to other questions though.:)
    i will grant that education is declining in this country. & it scares me. but i still think a lot of these 'facts' are suspect. & contrived.

12. raid517

raid517 New Member

What is your problem with Europe? I think you will find that it was the whole world - and not just Europe who agreed to the oil for food program. AND it was an American instagated program to begin with - as it seemed at the time that the sanction regime was too harsh and young children were dying because of it. We all remember Madeline Albrights comments when asked if the death of 100,000 Iraqi children due to the sanctions regime was worthwhile. She said 'yes', that ultimately 'if it helped to contain Saddam, it was worthwile.' So your own country is just as guilty as anyone for what has happend in these last 13 years.

And the let's not forget that the only reason Bush went into Iraq was because there was a massive US energy deficit (read oil) projected to bring the country pretty much to it's knees over the next 25 years or so, unless something radical was done about it. (Read 'oil execs were shit scared they were all going to go bust').

I will never buy it that any of this was about making Iraq a better place. Maybe it was on the agenda somewhere, but it was a long long way down the list.

And as has been pointed out, the US is no longer the greatest economic zone in the world. That privlidge now goes to Europe and the EU. And how can it not be? There are 150 million more people in Europe than there are in the US, it constitues 36 different countries and stradles an area 1/3rd larger than that of the US. Moreover Europe is only set to grow - with several other new countries joining the EU in the very near future. So were are hardly the poor cousins that you appear to imagine us to be.

And yes, the US may be able to 'kick our butts' with all your guns and bombs and tanks and so on. So long that is if you come to Europe and ask us first if you can borrow the money to allow you to do so. Ordinarily for a country that is supposed to be so wealthy, you might imagine that you could pay for all your toys yourself. But it seems that this President is so busy giving all your tax money away to his rich friends that he forgot to leave enough to take care of the economy - or to pay for your clearly oversized armed forces.

Best regards,

GJ

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  13. Turtle

Turtle Banned

"1. Yes,if Europe is so innocent, why do they create monsters like Hitler? "

And why does Europe create the greatest mind that ever lived, Albert Einstein, I guess we will just never know.

14. Koolaid

Koolaid New Member

I remember playing a few online games where the bulk of the gamers were 'non americans' mostly malaysians and various others. When they found out I was an american they were quick to let me know how much they hated 'us'. It is kinda sad when nationalities clash. I was never real up on history. I have never been in the military. But what seems strange to me is that you never see (or I have not seen) americans start throwing the political feces about how bad some other country is and how much we hate people from said country. It always seems to me that its mostly people from other countries 'getting in our face' about how much they hate us. I guess it is human nature to be jealous of others. That is the only thing I can think of that causes peoplefrom other places to voice thier extremely one sided opinions about how bad Americans / America is.

My son has recently started school. It is almost the end of the year here and he is expected to be able to read some and do picture math.

I remember not having to do any of this until maybe the first or second grade.

Kindergarten was just a place to go during the day and learn to write my name and color between the lines. So-- I would say that our education system is not as high as some places like Japan. But we are not going down hill for sure. My uncle 'rest his soul' used to be the coordinator for the foreign exchange students from Japan to his college he taught at. Often we would have a student stay in our home. There is no doubt that their education system is much more advanced than ours. But if we were so dumb how did we get to be a super power?

As far as who's gonna nuke who. We all should know by now that if just one of us throws a nuke on someone else. The other will be retaliated upon. Missiles cant stop every nuke. And it will probably be the end of life as we all know it upon the earth if even one missile hits its mark as the reprocussions around the world would be staggering.

the end of my 2cents.

15. Turtle

Turtle Banned

"But if we were so dumb how did we get to be a super power?"

Because of the kinds of people that stayed at your uncles house.

The pakistanis the Japenese, chinese and the list goes on and on. Alot of the great american minds were (are) Imports.

16. raid517

raid517 New Member

No well maybe you should be. No wonder you are so bemused about why so many people express a distaste for your country. Do you perhaps just think it's an accident that so many people from such a diverse range of countries profess to not liking the foreign policies of your government? You complain about your education system, but do me a favour and without looking it up, name me the leaders of France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Malaysia and Iraq.

Can you do it? I know I can. Don't you think it's odd that you don't know the names of possibly the vast majority of these people? Particularly if for example you can't even name the leader of Iraq - since after all - this is the country you have supposedly been fighting to free for so long. Do you even think you could point to Iraq on a map of the world even if such a map didn't have any writing printed on it? (Military guys are excluded from this, as they are made to learn).

No my friend, the reason you don't see a lot of Americans starting topics discussing the issues occurring in other countries is because the vast majority of Americans are utterly ignorant of any of the issues or events occurring in these other countries. If it doesn't involve any direct US interests, it might as well not exist to you at all. This is also why you are so unaware of all of the things that have been done in your name over the last 60 years or so, which on the whole is what has caused the degree of animosity that exists towards your country today. As wrong as it was, possibly the only people who were really surprised when the twin towers were attacked were a lot of people like you, who had never really taken the time or the trouble to look at what was happening in the world beyond their own front porch.

So maybe you should look a little harder - and maybe you should take those rose tinted glasses that you view your country's history through for a little while - because clearly they are not allowing you to view the full picture.

GJ

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  17. Gabriel_Etranil

Gabriel_Etranil New Member

All of americas were (are) Imports, no news there. We are the great "melting pot" of the world, but the world hates us. I am so mixed it's not even funny, it seems that the majority of the country's (Europe, etc.) are rasict against mixed races.

18. Gabriel_Etranil

The Europe's UN is not all holy either, they were driving the "oil for guns" program, not to mention all the country they had the "sex for food" programs going.

19. Turtle

Turtle Banned

(Europe, etc.) are rasict against mixed races.

Where you getting this from? and what do you mean by etc?

Every country/race "hates" another country/race in one way or another, its just the way it is. Its not only against America.

I can tell you Poland "hates" Ukraine they never seamed to get along. I was born in Poland, I know. Then I came to Canada (as a litlle baby lol) and I still see the same dislikes the Poles have against the Ukrainians and vice versa.

20. Gabriel_Etranil

If you don't understand where I get this from there is no need explaining it.

I lived in Europe for a few years and I was spit at as a kid, and nearly ran over multiple times? So just STFU.