An upgrade worth doing?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Liqourice, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

While I'd normally agree, in this case the RX470 is incorrectly priced for it to be worth buying over a 4GB RX 480. It should be much cheaper than it is. Some cards are sitting within $20-$40 of the 4GB RX 480, so for that little bit of difference you can the next step up.

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Just under 50 but all electronics are quite a bit more expensive here than in the states.

As I said, they're the same price, just dumb to get the slower card then. :)

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

depends where you get it i suppose.. the MSI card i got was $275... where as the 480 8gb is $400.... quite a difference.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Oops, I missed that post.

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

$275 for the 8GB MSI RX470, or for the 4GB? I usually see the 4GB for that price.

6. Judas

4GB.... the 8gb model was an additional 25 bucks at $300... but at the time when i made the purchase it was on back order still

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Just my own personal view on this: In today's economy and considering the technical development of video games, I wouldn't spend money on anything less than an 8 GB GPU. But, it would also have to have the adequate "bandwidth" to handle the loads. So, with future upgrades in mind, this purchase should prove adequate for quite a few years going forward.

Tipstaff likes this.
  8. Judas

While i tend to favor the larger capacity specially today...... considering the numbers... on a 470.. the 4gb makes sense as a purchase... the 480's are still only the mid/top range gpu... VEGA is due out soon... so for those using 390/290/7970... including fury cards... vega will be the true "upgrade"... Polaris is only a major architectural upgrade with focus on power reductions...

If rumors/leaks are true, Vega should be using a newer GCN than even polaris.... as polaris is 4th gen (1.3), Vega is expected to house a GCN 5th gen (1.4).... it's also expected to have significantly better results in it's fabrication process ... where 14nm with global/samsung foundries will have made a noticable improvement. There are rumors that by the time vega launches, we could see polaris cards drop betwen 25 to as much as 35% in price which will make room for the lowest end vega to be FASTER... housing 64 rops (twice that of 480) with 8gb and 16gb of hbm2... a 2048/3072/4096 SP count for 3 expected models, though some suggestions are 3072/3584/4096 SP for the different models... i'd hope for the latter.. but if it is 3072 for the lowest end vega with 8GB HBM2, we're talking some serious horse power differences over the 480 which isn't really impossible/impractical.

Look at the history of the 480/380/280/7870/6870/5870 cards compared to their next tiered models..... I know 2x of the 285's in crossfire performed as well as a 290x/390x, so if we were to be conservative.... a 3072SP Vega being say 40-50% more powerful than the 480.... should make it a direct competitor to the 1070 easily... the 3584 should be able to touch the 1080.. and a 4096 should be able make the titan fondle it's balls....

9. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

It's all logical, but it's still highly speculative. Vega could easily be 6 months away (possibly more, AMD has never officially stated anything sooner than H1 2017), so if I needed a card now, I wouldn't wait.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  10. Judas

oh no i'm not saying wait.... but plenty of people buy cards to "hold over".... as i said.. i got the 470 4gb to hold me over until the vega launch... which i don't suspect will occur until after February at the earliest and that's likely being positive.

But there are still rumors for a single product launching close to christmas.... and some rumors that point to october 21st for the announcement with specs.

11. Sondra Draper

Sondra Draper Member

Possibly, yes it would be worth it especially for gaming. It will surely improve its performance. I presume too that it is much cheaper to upgrade than to purchased a new PC.

12. Liqourice

It didn't work.

Bought an XFX RX480 RS 4GB and after installing it my computer doesn't post. 1 long and 3 short beeps. That should indicate bad memory but I know there's nothing wrong with my memory sticks. Everything works just perfectly with my old card and a memtest over night shows no errors.

So, either there's something wrong with the card or it's just that it's not BIOS compliant so it won't work with my motherboard no matter what I do, there's no switch on the card to switch between UEFI and BIOS.

Hopefully I will be able to return the card and get my money back, or at least most of it. :(

13. Liqourice

Found some youtube clips where they have tested on old non-uefi motherboards and it works just fine so perhaps the card is DOA.

14. Judas

I would definitely say that you got extremely unlucky.... or you got some of those DOA xfx cards that some people have been reporting. (I still haven't had any good luck with XFX... even if the GTR version of the 480 is incredible, i'm still leary)

I know that all the RX models (i've stuck to HIS/MSI mostly)... work fine on some old old boards just fine, the Q6600 intel P35 chipset based asus P5Q-SE works fine.

15. Liqourice

Thing is. The computer booted up, I could hear the windows start tune from the speakers, I just didn't get any signal at all to the monitor. So, I'm inclined to believe that the card is faulty.

16. Judas

yeah i would agree.... as i've ran into the similar situation... weird about the memory beep code..

The only time i've ran into a graphics card capability issue is when i tried to isntall HD5xxx series or newer cards into an ATI Xpress 3200 Crossfire motherboard (AMD Socket 939), as the board was not PCI-EX 2.0 compliant (best guess as to why). The board would simply beep a "No VGA DETECTED" code.

The other time something has happened regarding any other video card was with the poweredge 2900 sever workstation which had only 8x pci-ex slots (not 16x)... and i modified the slot so i could install a video card. If i install anything of the HD5xxx or newer cards, the system would boot/work... and then BSOD/CRASH with a PCI-EX power fault detection error (poweredge 2900 has a fairly THOROUGH built in diagnostic error code display which is incredibly handy). Again provided with a HD4xxx or older card, the system has never given me a bit of issue and continues to run today 24/7 in a security office room recording from 6x 1080p HD security cameras while providing an office workstation for doing taxes/books/orders/shipments for the business setup with it.

17. Liqourice

Unfortunately this happens on a weekend so I will most likely not get a reply to my ticket at xfx until tuesday or something, if at all. Also tried to register to asus but that didn't work at all since I couldn't register my motherboard there no matter how I tried. I guess they don't want to give support.

Wanna hear from either before I return the card. Hopefully I can replace it with a Sapphire card, they seem to have dual bios. Would have gotten a Sapphire in the first place but this was 500 SEK cheaper. (1890 for the xfx, 2390 for the sapphire)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  18. Liqourice

Got a reply from XFX. They say the card should work fine on an old non-uefi motherboard so that probably means the card is bad.

19. Liqourice

Damn. I tested it on my HTPC and it worked.... until I just realised I have a motherboard with integrated gfx that I probably haven't turned off so I have to try again. :p

Even if the card itself is dead, would it pass the integrated gfx through?

20. Judas

intergrated graphics have some really strange behavoirs sometimes... plug your display into the onboard with the add in graphics in or not.