Another American High School Shooting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by TJ-, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

Incorrect. I am all for resolving them. Lets write down some ways of resolving the cuurent gun/school problems. :bleh:

1. Have more control over the licencing of guns
    2. Find out why kids need to bring a gun to school to resolve a problem.
    3. Perhaps a different government like that of China and North Korea. A controlled government.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  2. digerati

digerati Everyones life has worth

1. The guns are obtained illegally so licensing isn't the problem. The problem is the same as drugs, illegal importation and under the table selling. I have yet to see any country solve this problem.

2. As in fallang's case carrying a gun is often a symbol that you won't be pushed around. In the ghetto's of America gangs own the streets and a gun is their tool of choice. Unfortunately gang disputes can also happen at school hence the need to have a gun at all times. This is a problem and realistically the only way to deal with it would be a drastic change in the area and for better jobs to be made as well as to stop the glorifcation of thugs and pimps. Seeing as this would stop rap cds and channels like BET I doubt either would happen, but if it did I'm sure it would make a certain Jello man (Bill Cosby) proud.

3. I get the feeling you're more likely to die and starve from various other things in those countries.

I think the problem is psychological and an extensive exam needs to be done by all the school shooters but I worry that the same things will be found in the kids as in other psychopaths who killed at a later age. It's one of those things where you have to realize that there really is no final solution. Steps should be taken to make guns less accessible so as to not make them readily available for theft, but even then it would not solve the school shooting problem.

(And I wasn't referring to you, I'm referring to people who say "Another US shooting" instead of it being "another shooting.")

3. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

what ever happened to good old fist fights?

4. digerati

Same thing that happened to swords.

5. raid517

raid517 New Member

Strange though don't you think? I mean a lot of people argue that it is possible if you so desire to kill people with virtually anything. But the odd thing I find in this argument is why is it only ever really guns that cause this level of decimation? I mean, why don't we see young kids bursting into school and beating each other sensless with various assorted cooking utensils (such as egg whisks etc) or with chair legs, or mass killings inflicted through suffocation in large vats of jelly and so on. Why indeed is it only guns? And why not swords or fists, or rocks or stones for that matter?

Isn't that a harder thing for pro gun people to explain?

GJ

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

it's not only guns... i've seen people nearly killed by a simple 2x4 or hell, even a damn Wiper from a car... go figure..

I mentioned before that anyone CAN and have killed with thier bare hands or other object at thier disposal.... it's just a matter of using a little logic in that your chances of being successful with such tools is MUCH less.. considerably less... that's why it's less likely to happen and rarely heard of...

Theres a line, a line were things that could be done but people are "to lazy" to do it..... and the other side of that line is when you wouldn't really have to put any effort into doing it.... Seriously, what amount of strength do you need to pull a trigger 10 times vs having to run/swing/kick x number of times and then having to do that 10 more times to each persaon.....

7. raid517

raid517 New Member

Yes - but it's a question of scale dear boy. I mean, when was the last school massacre you recall where a whole bunch of people died after being attacked by a winshield wiper from a car?

It is the sheer scale and violence of it that shocks people - and I do think it says something about the potential lethality of guns.

After all, the chances are that if it had been an attack with a windshield wiper, the scale of devastation inflicted would have been much less. So it does seem to imply that access to guns increases the potential for death - and that restricting that access might lessen that potential.

I don't think you could ever really ban guns in America - there are just too many of them. But putting some pretty tough restrictions on who can legally own them and how they are stored would at least be a start.

You can argue if you want that it isn't such a great idea to ban guns - but it is a nonsense to attempt to argue against imposing strict rules that force owners of these weapons to behave responsibly.

If you want to argue for irresponsibility, then fine. But bare in mind that most ordinary people would just think that you were some kind of nut.

Keep guns away from kids - and if you can't, then the authorities should take the kids away from you!

That shouldn't be such a hard concept to grasp.

GJ

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i totally agree with you....

9. Son_of_Thunder

Son_of_Thunder New Member

maybe public schools should keep records of their troubled teens, and then if the risk was high enough the police confiscate the parent's guns until the kid moved out. of course to do that we'd have to up the staff for public schools, and make sure that they actually cared about the students.

10. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

you hit it on the head, the kid gave people signs he was going to erupt, but they were largely ignored

11. BWX

BWX get out and ride

It goes to show you are an ignorant, rabid anti-American...

Red Lake High School, on the Red Lake Indian Reservation, has about 300 students, according to its Web site.

The reservation is about 240 miles north of the Twin Cities. It is home to the Red Lake Chippewa Tribe, one of the poorest in the state. According to the 2000 census, 5,162 people lived on the reservation, and all but 91 were Indians.

It didn't happen in the US- it happened in a sovereign Indian Nation.

Oh, and guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Gun laws only take away rights from law-abiding citizens. Criminals will get them anyway. Get your heads out of your ***es :rolleyes:

12. TJ-

TJ- New Member

Minneapolis is in the usa is it not...:uhoh:

13. digerati

Indian Nations are technically their own independant nations so technically he's correct. That's why when you buy cigarettes or booze on those lands it's cheaper because they don't have the taxes because they don't how to bow to the US tax laws.

14. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Go read and educate yourself about sovereign Indian nations. :duh:

SOVEREIGNTY HAS ALWAYS EXISTED

Indian tribes existed as sovereign governments long before European settlers arrived in North America. Treaties signed with European nations and later the United States in exchange for land guaranteed the tribes continued recognition and treatment as sovereigns.

Under the Constitution of the United States and numerous treaties, the federal government undertook to protect tribes from states.......

COURTS HAVE LONG RECOGNIZED INDIAN SOVEREIGNTY

The U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly recognized tribal sovereignty in court decisions for more than 160 years.

15. Gabriel_Etranil

Gabriel_Etranil New Member

Killings/Assaults with utensils other that guns/knives don't get much press, they don't make good "news". I've seen many people/kids "beat each other senseless" with various objects. Plus MOST OF THESE SHOOTINGS ARE DRUG RELATED, meaning these are not rational descisions made by the perps. Cars kill more people every year yet I don't see anybody screaming for car licence reform. Where I live car accidents happend every 4 hours, and that is just in a 10 mile radius. Any how many of these "accidents" are caused by impared drivers, but prohibition will not solve any problems it will just create more.

Swords are a great source of entertainment with the right training - see that right training.

It's so easy to make a car bomb and drive up to someplace and detonate and kill hundreds of people. Yet I don't seeany public outcry against cars from the anti-gun crowd. Hypocritsm.

16. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

If I remember correctly the Supreme court has made rulings regarding Native American (NA) sovereignty and then the US Gov. and its ppl completely ignored them. Made worse by the fact that gold was discovered NA land and they were pretty much kicked out. Rulings dont mean squat unless there are ppl with the will to enforce them.

Look at this chronology for some interesting points of US-NA relations

http://www.emayzine.com/lectures/chronolo.htm

check out – 1853-56 amongst others

The US has done more harm to Native Americans (North) than anyone - in fact didn’t the majority of Native Americans side with the British in the War of Independence? My history teacher mentioned this was due to the soon to be USA being far more expansionist and the British being a better option politically for the NAs.

It is an interesting convergence that the topic of NAs has come up in this gun thread as one of the factors that meant that the gun culture is so rife amongst those in the USA, particularly in the South and mid west is because it was these people and areas that fought against the NAs.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the US has pretty much screwed over most of the NAs and is only now really trying to give them sovereignty (Having pretty much already destroyed their whole way of life and means of subsistance - ie. the buffalo)

"1866 - General Philip H. Sheridan takes command of forces in the west and vows to bring down the Indian way of life by destroying the buffalo."

from: http://americanhistory.about.com/library/timelines/bltimelineusnative.htm

Couldn't find the exact quote which i have in my old textbooks from home :/

nana

17. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Well all of than makes no difference, this happened in a NA sovereign nation, NOT THE US- so this whole thread is pointless. Another failed anti-American BS rant fest.

More like Native American's are gun crazy loons.. but of course the word "American" is in there so I am sure you have a rabid hatred for them too.. :duh:

18. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

well to say that the NA society, especially the younger generations, isnt completely dominated by US culture is somewhat naive imo

nana

19. TJ-

TJ- New Member

Dude how can you keep saying that its not in america, your kidding yourself, it doesnt matter if its 100 ft underground or in alaska. Its on american soil which means its in america.

[​IMG]

20. kp59583

kp59583 New Member

Well the Vaticans in Italy but its it own country.