another codec problem :( (mpeg this time)

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by skinlab, May 10, 2004.

1. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

if you refer to my previous thread, i was having problems playing xvid files. so after finally finding a tool that fixed the problem, i now have problem playing mpeg files correctly (maybe removed a needed codec? but this is mpeg, which shouldnt need one....)

in any case, heres the problem:
    1) skipping through an mpeg causes picture lag, rather than previously where the picture flowed directly at the new point
    2) windows media player will report a time for the video (such as 54:32) but the video keeps on playing after the 54:32 mark, with no option for me to skip foward (since the slider bar has reached the end)

any clues on how to fix this? i never realized how much of a pain in the ass codecs can be...

codecs i have installed are directshow pack, ffdshow, xvid, ogg vorbis video, and ac3 audio. that's all i got.

any clues?

edit: just opened the file in virtualdub, and it detects track length as 1hour and 4 minutes, as opposed to wmp detecting it as 53 minutes. dunno if that helps any...

Last edited: May 10, 2004
  2. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

maybe the other utility messed it up :( I have no idea how to fix it

3. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

i have absolutely no clue what to do

trying the 3ivx proggy now, maybe thatll fix it

i hate codecs....

4. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

k, that didnt fix it :(

5. Gh0st3d

Gh0st3d New Member

More than likely ffdshow is causing the problem when it is post processing the mpeg file and causing you search problem but the time problem I do not know about. I would uninstall it or at least turn off the post process feature and see if that fixes it.