Another noob - kx devices not found. Reinstall drivers.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goldenhound104, Oct 11, 2020.

1. goldenhound104

goldenhound104 New Member

[SOLVED] - (see my reply on 10/12/2020)

Trying to get my old but working Creative SoundBlaster Live! Value edition to make sound in my Windows Pro 10 / 64bit (under XP works fine - in a dual boot configuration).

SoundBlaster 4830 Live! Value card
    I've literally been trying for years to get this to work under Windows 10 / 64bit (as best I could)

I've disabled the MB hardware sound in the BIOS setup.
    Downloaded the kxrv3552-full.zip, extracted it.
    From a clean install, I ran the executable As Administrator
    I checked the Device Manager, and noted from "Audio Inputs and outputs:

Master Mixer
    Recording Mixer
    SPDIF/AC3 Output
    Wave Out 2/3
    Wave Out 4/5
    Wave Out 6/7

All having in parens - kX 10k1 Audio (3552) Generic, following the line detail for each entry.

Also, under Sound, Video and Game Controllers:

kX 10k1 Audio (3552) - Generic
    After it completes the install, it says it must reboot. I OK it.
    When it comes back up, it says that it will now run kXMixer to setup some Global variables. I click, OK, and then a dialog comes up and says, kX devices not found. Reinstall drivers. etc.

I've tried re-running just the kxsetup.exe again (ad infinitum), doing a clean install again (ad nauseum) No joy.

*** no sound ***

My first question - are the drivers actually not installed?
    How do I check?

If I've missed anything, please let me know what you need, what I've not done, etc.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  2. Epsilon Cygni

Epsilon Cygni New Member

goldenhound104 likes this.
  3. goldenhound104

Thanks for the reply Epsilon.

Actually, I failed to mention that I had run the "Hotfix", after the clean install of 3552, but I still don't get sound.

Sadly, after running Mole's Hotfix, I received a dialog box colored red, stating, "! Unsupported Driver Version ! - Press any key...". My guess is that error message, in my case means, that the kX Drivers were indeed, not installed to begin with.

I'm still trying to find out what to look for if the drivers were installed or not, though indications seem to point to them not being installed. And if so, I wish I knew why.

4. >Alejandro

>Alejandro New Member

After installing the driver, try to go to the device manager and remove the sound card from the list. Then select "Scan for hardware changes" from the context menu. You do not need to reinstall the driver.

5. goldenhound104

Thanks for your reply Alejandro.

[SOLVED]

I've found the problem. Part of it is the 5.1 sound system I'm using. It doesn't help that the Subwoofer is not working, and I have just the satellite speakers that produce sound.

And, the other part of the problem was I took for granted that these executables were Windows 10 executables. I needed to set them to Windows 7 via the Compatibility dialog in their properties.

Once I did that, did a clean install again, the error msgs about kXMixer wanting me to reinstall the drivers went away, and Moles Hotfix ran and did it's magic. I've got sound!

However stupid I feel, I must also confess that it wasn't *ALL* my fault. For some reason, the system won't actually put out sound to my speakers (though I see the digital VU meters reacting to Test sounds) , until I set the Playback Devices Wave Out 4/5, as default. Weird huh? Should be Wave Out 2/3! The location is found by right clicking the little speaker in the System Tray, choosing Playback Devices, clicking on "Wave Out 4/5", and clicking "Set Default". Voila - Sound!

kXMixer is also operational! Thank goodness it has built-in Help! What a wealth of options! These guys deserve a TON of credit, Big Bucks and kudos! I'm going to have to part with some COVID-19 cash for this thing. FINALLY!!!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  6. center_table

center_table New Member

Good to hear about that. Thanks for sharing your troubles with us for this may also be helpful to us one day.

7. peate

peate Active Member

I installed kX 3553 on Windows 10 Pro and the card, Audigy RX, was found and drivers were installed correctly and shows up as kX Generic. Never had to use the Mole fix. Unless I'm missing something, it seems everything works. The outputs were changed from the last time I used kX with a Live card, and Master Mixer wave out 0/1 is now found under SPDIF/AC3. Front out(Green) which used to be Wave out 4/5 is now 2/3 and so on. 4/5 is rear(Black) and 6/7 is Center/Sub(Yellow). Synth (the old 2/3 output) is no longer supported under 64 bit Windows. Too bad cause it sounded great with big sound fonts, but I found soft ware synths that work fine.

Try un-checking the option Toggle front/rear speakers on the Main page of kX mixer.

8. goldenhound104

I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks.

9. goldenhound104

Yes. That worked fine. Thanks for the suggestion!