Another "Overclocking Newbie" thread :)

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by gonz0, Oct 6, 2004.

1. gonz0

gonz0 New Member

Hey all,

Just wondering how i should go about OC'ing my processor. I read about how the intel multiplyer is locked so the only way to achieve high clock speeds is by increasing the bus speeds. I don't want to use the auto overclocker in the bios. I would rather adjust the settings myself since the auto feature adjusts my memory timings automatically. Which are usually slower than what it can acutally handle

I've read about this 1:1 Memory and CPU ratio. I don't really understand it. I've looked through my bios, and i've found no option that allows me to set that. Does this have something to do with keeping the fsb speeds of the both the same. I've already locked my pci/agp speeds @ 66/33, i read that it can mess up your system if you don't.

I've also read something about once you get a high clock you should try other ratios like 3:2 or 5:4. Whats that?

Basically, if you guys could give me some good info or links to good info on how to overclock manually that would be much appreciated. Maybe if someone has similiar system specs give me some of your bios setting and what you changed.

This is my first OC, other than my vid card. So be gentle [​IMG] .

2. gonz0

gonz0 New Member

Ok, well I've started to OC it manually, I've pushed the cpu fsb to 210 and my 3.0c is now running @ 3.15ghz. Since i pushed the fsb to higher, did that also change my memory fsb too? Is there anything i need to look out for? Other setting i need to make sure i enable/disable? ect?

3. gonz0

gonz0 New Member

Once i pushed it to 215, bios no longer loaded, had to flash back. Any help?

4. jsx[ifl]

jsx[ifl] DH's Unofficial Hero

I'm no expert, but try upgrading to the latest bios rev your board has, increase the fsp 1-2 mhz at a time and then run prime95 to stress test it. Check your CPU idle/load temps and make sure their under 60C, anything close to that is just too dangerous. Thats all i can think of :hmm:

5. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

w/your ddr400 mushkin memory, you're going to have to set the ratio at 5:4 when you're OCing your system (leave it at 1:1 ratio when you put your system at stock speeds). if you had better memory (like ddr 433, 466, or 500) you can keep it at a 1:1 ratio for anything above 200Mhz FSB.

remember to raise the voltage on your northwood, and do not exceed 1.7v on your chip. Many of the P4s can easily do 400Mhz overclock on stock voltages.

Keeping your pci/agp clocks at 33/66Mhz is definately recomended, because what you've heard is correct.

get the newest BIOS for your board. A newer BIOS will usually help out on stability, and/or get new features as well.

umm...that's what i can think of right now, just post back on what you've done so far and i'll be here to help, if i can't help on a particular question you have, i'm sure somebody else will

6. Nacht

Nacht ein Krieger

since you're using ddr400...wouldnt it actually be slower if you put the cpu in anything greater than 200 on the frequency since that would throw it into asynchronous mode?

only other way to OC tho is with the multiplier....and to do that you need one of those newer asus boards.

7. p0rChM0nK3y

p0rChM0nK3y New Member

taken from www.overclock.net

8. CDsDontBurn

yes, that is true, but you can also increase your memory timings. when overclocking occurs, memory timings decrease. by making the memory timings more agressively, you're overclocking your memory as well.

9. gonz0

gonz0 New Member

Yea, i can't find any setting in the bios that changes the ratio. Anyone know where this is in the asus p4c800edlx bios? BTW, im running the newest bios available for my board. 1018.004

10. gonz0

gonz0 New Member

I got the clock up to 3.75ghz with a 5:4 ratio. but it was highly unstable. Moved the clocks down to 3.6 and I'm going to stress test it over night with 2 instances of p95. Lets hope!!

11. CDsDontBurn

raise the voltage then. that should increase stability.

12. gonz0

gonz0 New Member

What is the max safe voltage for p4northwoods?

13. classic_leon

classic_leon Well-Known Member

Your CPU is good one. It can be overclocked to 3.2G. If you like, you can OC it to 3.4G. The max safe voltage for p4northwoods is 1.8V while you have a good cooler system.:)

14. gonz0

gonz0 New Member

I have a ThermalTake Polo 735 HSF. Using the 1:1 Divider i was only able to take the OC to about 3.2Ghz, and that was unstable. Sometimes it would boot sometimes it wouldn't.

When using the 5:4 divider I was able to take the OC to 3.6ghz. But the FSB of the memory was left @ 180. Wouldn't doing that actually reduce my overall system performance. Since the CPU is running @ a higher bus, but the rest of the system is hindered?

Keep in mind that both of these overclocks were done without adjusting the CPU voltages, and I kept the Memory timings tight @ 2-2-3-4-6. (which are what the memory is rated for @ 200mhz.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I losen the memory timing and up the CPU voltages to take the 1:1 OC higher/more stable.

Or should i try upping the CPU voltages on using the 5:4 divider and try to take the FSB for the memory to 200mhz? To make it stable?

15. CDsDontBurn

max voltage on a p4 C northwood is 1.7v

16. classic_leon

My friend tried to adjust voltage of on P4 3.2C, 1.8v can be set, and it shows as 1.79v on CPU-Z panel. But 1.8 is not recommended. :x

17. CDsDontBurn

that is way too high for a p4. if he keeps it at 1.8v, his p4 will be a like p2 in no time. then he'll be mad :mad:. voltages are usually rounded down about .01v~.02v so that's why it was mis calculated

18. gonz0

gonz0 New Member

Any Input?

19. classic_leon

:D Pac-Man, you're right...
    gonz0, it's a really dangerouse play. So, :x .

20. CDsDontBurn

;) if his p4 blows up or something, it ain't my fault, just letting him now not to keep them volts up so high.