Another Shooting...Another Death: At CNN Headquarters

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Dyre Straits, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Not all fairies are nice.

Good Lord.
    All I can say is that I hope you don't live in the US & if you do I hope you don't vote. :(

If more people were responsible citizens, as was intended and expected by those that founded this country, (ie meaning that everyone owned and knew how to properly use a firearm) then this sort of occurence would be far fewer. If the woman that had this happened to her had been armed she might still be alive. If the two main, cited, witnesses had been armed the woman might be alive. The same thing is true in the post that Gemini made - had that poor woman at the school armed herself she might be breathing now. She thought she had done what she should - she had a restraining order, the authorities knew about the guy that did it, her friends knew - she sent them all pics of the guy - the only thing she didn't do was make sure she could take care of herself if the nut showed up at her doorstep with a gun/knife/bat/pair of fists. Now she's dead.

I'm sorry, unless you have a magic wand & can wave it & make every gun in the world disappear then "banning guns" does NOTHING except remove the possiblity of law abiding men & women of protecting themselves & others from non law abiding people. Not to mention that without the right to keep & bear a citizenry has zero chance of protecting itself from an opressive government.

I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't believe that everyone should have guns because that's not the world we live in & it never will be. But don't worry because we can (in the USA) all have guns (ok, mostly - insane & felons can't) and I do and I am responsible enough so that if I ever see someone dragging you by the hair through a building, beating the shit out of you, trying to mug you in an alley, or steal your child I'll step up & do what I have to to help. I pray I never have to, but rest assured I will.

2. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

really - because man has killed man long before firearms were invented.

Ask prison guards if its possible... they'll tell you pretty much anything can be turned into a deadly weapon.

edit:
    yup - pretty simple concept - if the other person thinks you can defend yourself - they will likely think twice before acting on their impulse. Imo - theres no other way for prevention now that the 'cats out of the bag'. But thats a topic more appropriate for the debate forum....

It is a shame people hold so little regard for others tho...

3. e!i

e!i New Member

People are crazy, give them opportunitys to to use firesticks, well hell baby, there gunna shoot someone.

Don't allow people to own guns, ffs.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Yeah! Mythbusters made paper crossbow and it did better than normal crossbow. And they made it lethal ...

5. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

or anything that can be sharpened - or that can be injected intravenously - or set on fire - or run them over - or cause blunt force trauma - like a fist/elbow/knee/stick/bat/wrench........
    Ran out of interest before ideas to continue this list.

If I were to kill someone - the last thing I would use is a weapon that can be traced back to me. And you'll never prevent suicides.

Also - were not 'allowed' to speed - but that doesn't prevent it from happening.

Yup - I seen that one too - 'news papers' no less....(let ban news papers - Id agree to that first) and that nice collection of weapons and paraphernalia the warden had on his wall - simply ingenious some of them I hear about as well.

6. Sandok

Sandok New Member

It's much easier to pull a tiny piece of metal called a trigger than actively stab and beat someonw who has a fighting chance of defending themselves.

Gun makes crimes easier, there ain't no argument in that :hmm:

7. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

sure - but lets learn/teach to control 'impulse' (along with respect) is a better plan - because that the only thing gun bans hinder - not pre-meditation... 'if theres a will theres a way'....
    instead of making more difficult to defend myself.

8. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

People who blame guns instead of people are those I just disagree with.

Crossbow / bow and arrow was lethal at a distance too, as are throwing knives and shurikens.

It's not the weapons that is the problem, it is the people.

Perhaps if our legal penalties were far more severe and we were willing to spend more money to keep violent criminals locked up for the long terms they are supposed to serve, things might be a bit better?

9. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Getting a gun is WAY easier then a crossbow, shuriken, and much easier to use... I dunno, this is typically that American idiology that guns cause no harm at all and only people are to blame.... Ah well, nothing new to be honest...

10. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

So are you saying counties with gun bans;
    1) have completely removed guns from citizens
    2) prevented murders

Hrmm - somehow I have doubts -maybe prevents some death from reuslt of impulse violence -
    But consider this - th USA has NEVER had a foreign occupation durring war time - why?
    Too many guns in the hands of too many citizens... and everyone knows it.
    edit: a MUCH bigger point that also demonstrates the idea why everyone should own a gun and everyone know it.

11. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Okay let me bust your chops ;)

Switzerland has a no gun policy (you can't buy one, simple unless under special permits and all)

1) We don't have guns, and if we do, it's under damn strict regulations.
    2) We have one of hte lowest murder rates in Europe

SWITZERLAND has NEVER had a foreign occupation durring war time... And we don't even have an army.... Wow we must do "something" right :lol:

12. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

True, but maybe its because of your strict neutral position in military/foreign policy and is of little interest (being land locked, and geographically small with more mountains than resources) and 'good fortune' contributed by us 'gun lovers'....

1) 'good fortune' hardly counts as 'doing something right'.
    2) you can also thank my 'gun toting' grand pappy who fought the germans in WWII for this prevention. much more so than any gun bans...:D
    3) And *if* you were to be occupied - you have little chance to protect yourself.

And... 'lowest murder rate' - you didn't say 'per capita' either??? and also infers it still occurs - right?

Got any other examples of counties where gun bans actually work to reduce death from violence?

Los Angeles has gun bans and has had practically zero affect. Your not allowed to own a semi automatic weapon - yet they are still used in crimes - only now honest citizens have no chance against these thugs. Because *honest people* are the only ones who will obey laws.
    Sure - life may be better if guns were never invented - but its too late now for that dream.

13. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Well come on, we were in the middle of europe and could have been invaded at any time... CH has never been in a war and never will be, we know how to keep out of it.

And your grand pappy was in the army, a little difference... And nobody wants to occupy us, we harbor the world's terrorist money and don't piss anyone off :D

As for an example, I can't name any off the top of my head but what I can do is give a few examples of things that have never happened anywhere but hte US. Remeber that Sniper Shooter in washington? Or the bank heist where over 500 bullets were spent from the terrorists? Or the school shootings and the university shootings? None of those every happen elsewhere, why? Is it the population or the guns? What seems most logical to you?

14. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Violence and logic - in the same sentence - violence is not logical - so we cant apply logic to it.

I have no doubt that - If those shooting weren't to happen with firearms - it would have been - mass poisonings or serial stranglings - or what ever....
    edit: you are right to a point, but total gun bans dont offer a balance of saftey and protection - knowing gun bans dont have an effect that justifies the loss of personal protection. /edit

BUT he was an excellent shot - why - he owned and shot his guns before the army... so his pre-war marksmanship, I am confident, helped save his life - and maybe your ancestors too ???. If he wernt, you could be posting from 'Germany' right now?? edit: but I *know* I would not be./edit

15. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

I will support my argument then:
    Me and my sister were bought up in an unhappy home. My sister and I both had counselling as children and my father went to prison. I ended becoming street homeless when 15 and developed an alcohol problem. By my twenties I was using drugs on a daily basis including crack and LSD which I mistakenly thought helped me to cope with my emotions and childhood memories. I survived without welfare or any ID and lived outside the system. To pay for my habit I became heavily involved with the distribution of controlled drugs and the import/export of stolen goods. I would always carry a weapon as I knew my enemies (including other gangs, the govt, police AND Joe Public) would also carry arms. Due to the lifestyle in which I had become entrenched and the line of business that I was involved, people got hurt and some people did die.

The point I am making with my briefly summarised life above: If others did not carry arms than I would have not felt the need to do so myself. In my opinion the law that allows individuals to bear arms creates death and misery.

BTW, in case anyone thinks otherwise, I feel great sorrow for peoples lives that I may have damaged. I am thankful that I was never prosecuted for any crime that I may have committed. When I was about 30 I overdosed and was in hospital. While I was there I realised I had only four options:
    1. I will be shot and die
    2. I will die due to medical complications caused by drug habit
    3. I will serve a life sentence
    4. I stop using drugs and end my involvement in crminal activity

I chose option 4. Now I am paid by govt as a Social Worker and use my experiences to help others. I do 'roadshows' to special schools for troubled teenagers who have been excluded from mainstream schools due to their behavior to tell my story and prevent others from following my path. I advise govt on devising strategies to tackle the causes of street-based crime.

Bottom line - A gun can kill. Lots of guns can kill lots of people. Taking the right away for the average citizen to carry firearms would reduce the number of gun related incidents and deaths.

16. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Apart from that, I've never heard of a case where somebody was actually able to defend themselves because they carried a gun...

17. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

There were laws against drugs right - but you still got em
    Laws against theft - but you still did it.

The only one that would obey a gun law is 'average citizens' - not thugs and druggies.

This argument sounds more like someone still in the 'export' business and are fearing their life because an 'average joe' may still shoot them... no disrespect or accusations intended. But I backed up my point already.

18. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

1) of course not - you have gun bans... :D
    2) its called a deterrence - if person 'a' who carries a weapon and alot of cash - and person 'b' is unarmed - who do you think will be robbed first?
    Historically - crooks prey on the weaker - someone carrying a weapon is not viewed as weak.
    edit:
    3) stories of deaths are much more interesting to the media when it does happen.

19. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

What are you talking about? Switzerland has one of the most organised armies in Europe. One of the reasons that noone has tried to invade Switzerland during the modern times is that, why they fuck would anyone want to? Anyone who want to pass from one side of the continent to the other can find easier targets/ways than through Switzerland.

Regarding occupation of the USA...are you kidding me? Who could even attack the USA to manage to occupy parts of it? You have the highly sophisticated, huge and far superior Mexican and Cuban armies on the south, the barbarian bloodthirsty Canadians on the north, and billions of fish on the east and west. Who could invade the USA in the first place?

20. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I said we have strict regulations... And I'm glad I don't have those kinda stories here, not really missin out!

You see, it's easier to not have crooks and no need to carry a gun....

The media exists here too you know...

What?! We don't have a professional army, it's a militia and I'm part of it so trust me, I know when I say it's pathethic... And all the transportation goes through CH you know :hmm: That's the reason this country is filthy rich, all the main trade routes go through it (italy to holland for example)