Antec 900 ultimate gaming case

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by deadeyeselh, Jan 26, 2008.

1. deadeyeselh

deadeyeselh New Member

Im thinking of getting the antec 900 gaming case. If any of you have read a review or have had a good look at it, you may be able to answer my question. After looking at some pictures and reviews, i noticed that the power supply is at the bottom of the case instead of the top. Do any of you think that this would be a potential problem with wiring? Becuase if you look at where the motherboard goes it looks like its a long way up for some of the main power cables. If it is, can you recommend to me a PSU that would have ample cabling to suite this case, Or a way to get around it. THX.:cool:

2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i really dont recommend that case, too small for most of us here on the forums.

i recommend the Coolermaster 690 case, very good cooling or maybe the Stacker 832 if you are willing to spend the money? i personally use the 832 and it is the best case ever.

a good PSU would be the Corsair 750TX. 750w and more cables than you'll ever need.

3. Kazeko

Kazeko Active Member

I use an Antec Nine Hundred.

It's not quite as small as most anticipate - and the wiring is just fine with the PSU on the bottom. Depending on the mainboard, you may have a tough time reaching certain things, like the 12v CPU connectors.

To break it down though...

Pros: Front-end drive flexibility - I could EASILY fit a decent sized radiator (2x120mm) in the front end of the case, with a couple custom HDD mounts, and still have enough room to fit the rest of a lower-end watercooling set up inside the case. - It would take some custom work, but the room is there.

Solid construction - Truth be told, I'm not familiar with Coolermaster's cases, but I've always been VERY impressed with Antec's quality in their cases. - I'd use an Antec case for just about any build, across most of their case line up (Not so much on their power supplies, but the other products are solid.)

Cons: The 200mm top fan, is pretty worthless. Doesn't really move all the air you might expect from 200mm, and I think the fan it's self is just kind of a bad design. Tough to replace if it dies too.

It is a bit smaller than the CM Stacker 832 in some ways. - My Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme is a tight fit (less than 1cm gap between the top of it, and the upper lip on the side of the case) and I had to grind down the fan clips on the side of the case, due to clearance issues with the Thermalright HR03+ on my 8800GTX - I couldn't close the side of the case.

So, it's not quite as wide, or tall as some other cases, but the drive availability is there, and there's loads of stuff you could do with the front end of the case. I like the case, it's a solid case, well designed and well constructed, but if you're planning on going pretty extreme - look elsewhere.

Great for mid to upper end systems, not so hot for the super-high end enthusiast.

4. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

ive hung around the 900 at stores, it seems alright, but i use too much hardware so thats just too small for comfortable organization

nice solid construction though, feels alot better than most aluminum cases.

5. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

I'd have to 2nd Kris on the CM 690.

It will have a bit more room for your vid card(s) since it's about 2" longer than the 900.
    Cable management will be easier.
    It has good cooling as-is, and has options for LOTS more fans.
    Like the 900 it has a bottom mounted PSU, but it has a grill on the bottom so you won't have to install the PSU upside down. This lets the PSU draw in outside air which helps keep it cool.
    Tool less design is a also plus.

On the other hand, it doesn't have a window if that is a considertion, and it's pretty understated as to it's styling. For me that was a plus, but for you those might be minuses.

I did look at some 900 reviews, and it does look like a decent case. Biggest negative I saw about it was that one or two thought it was a bit loud with all the fans on high.

Looking at Newegg, they are the same price if you use the rebate for the 900.

6. deadeyeselh

deadeyeselh New Member

Im not planning on building an extreme enthusiast rig, all I want to know is if the power connectors can reach the motherboard from the bottom of the case. Everything else im not worrying about at this point.~Cheers~

7. Kazeko

Kazeko Active Member

Well mine do - Using an Asus Maximus Formula, and the 2x 4pin CPU power cables reach, though admittedly are a bit of a stretch.

PSU is an Enermax Infiniti 720w.

8. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I haven't got problem reaching everything on my mobo.
    Got the Antec 900 with a OCZ 600W GameXtream.

Although i got to admit the case is pretty small... my x1950xt almost didn't fit..
    When i make the step to the next-gen cards i will have to buy a new case also.

9. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

Akasa produce a 30cm 8-pin PSU extension cable. Stock code AK-CB8-8-EXT. I'm using one right now as I have the PSU at the bottom of my CoolerMaster case and needed something to keep everything tidy and don't like tight cables stretched across (bought it just a few weeks ago). I think they also do a 24-pin model as well.

Sorry that there is no link but for some reason I can only link to Akasa's home page and not to the product.

10. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

A friend of mine built a rig using a 900 and if anything the wiring on it was better than most PSU's at the top. There's one on display at a store i go to, CCL and the wiring in that is fantastic :)
    I'd say go for it, especially considering the insane amounts of air you can move with all the fans that come pre-installed.
    Plus it's pretty cheap now

11. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

12. Neshi

that's really a very nice cable wiring in that case.. i wish mine looked a little like that :)

13. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

Looks real nice and is so clean and tidy but I bet it is a right royal pain in the ass trying to change any hardware.

OP: I know you said you weren't building an enthusiast rig but I was thinking about a scenario maybe a two/three years down the line. What if you want to upgrade graphics and all the graphic cards available in the future are as long as the 8800 ultra is currently? You may find you would have to buy a new case to be able to accommodate the new card as I don't think it fits in the 900. Could be good to prepare for the future now if the money is available.

14. smurfdude

smurfdude New Member

I've not had any problems with that case, its great and very very cool (in both senses)

All cables reach the motherboard fine. I even have a fan on the side panel and I've fitted a big cooler on my graphics card, everything fits fine. May get a little cramped, but so what, there's no need to keep opening the pc and changing stuff around all the time.

Long gfx cards fit in easily as long as you take out the black fan enclosure inside

As for someone above mentioning it's loud with all fans set at high...I'll show you a pic of my temps with the fans on LOW (which is almost noiseless). Bare in mind the CPU, RAM and graphics card are all overclocked a lot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  15. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

That's all air cooled? Either you have some nice heatsinks on everything or the fans by themselves are ridiculously fast and cool nicely.

I wish I had those temperatures.

16. smurfdude

smurfdude New Member

Yes thats all cooled by fans and its all very quiet. If I put the case fans to medium it'll drop another couple degrees. Running Crysis the CPU goes to about 45c and the graphics card barely goes past 40c

With sensible cable management this case is awesome

17. Neshi

I can agree the case is a good cooler.
    I'm not really sure my temps are correct, that's how cool it is.
    specs are in the left, with a freezer 7 pro.
    both cores are idle ~18, mobo ~21. clocked at 2.88ghz.
    haven't checked on load though.

18. smurfdude

smurfdude New Member

I turned all the fans to medium to see what improvement it made

[​IMG]

Not bad at all

19. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Sorry for being a tad slow to the discussion but how is the Antec 900 small? Maybe I've started to fall behind what with the giant videocards they make these days (dual core and all) but I can't honestly see the 900 being too small for 99% of people (the fact that the hard drive trays might get in the way of really long GPU's).

If the 900 is too small just get a server tower case :p

20. Neshi

i could barely fit the x1950xt in the 900 case... and my guess is the 8800 series are longer.. :duh: