Antec CP-1000 PSU @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Apr 16, 2010.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Antec CP-1000 Review

Not too long ago Antec introduced the CPX form factor, a design of their own, which allows for much larger PSUs than ATX. Antec claims that the larger size of the CPX power supply units will allow all manufacturers to create better and cheaper products due to the space increase and the improved airflow. Today we will have a look at Antecs best CPX form factor power supply, the CP-1000. As the name suggests, the CP-1000 can output up to 1kW and Antec claims that it is designed to bridge performance with value.

press likes this.
  2. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

I think it'll be a hard sell to get this form factor to become the norm but if it is what Antec says it is hopefully more manufacturers will start designing cases that will accept them.

press likes this.
  3. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

real shame about the form factor thing (for the time being anyway)
    like you say, lets hope a few more manufacturers adopt it, cos that seems like such a nice PSU for little more than a hundred quid :)

press likes this.
  4. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I'm sometimes unconvinced about Antec's case designs but I do hope we can see something like this in a future universal standard. PSU's for more medium ranges could be shorter and still have the excellent fan setup.

press likes this.
  5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

The 12v rail distribution is surely less than ideal for such a high end high wattage PSU.

It'd be interesting to see a real world test with the kind of sytem you would imagine this might be hooked up to, maybe dual CPU with dual GPU, to see whether it works out as well as it does with the artificial test, that simply loads every rail to its maximum.

6. Grace

Grace HH's Tomboy

Hello Blibbax,

Actually, I consider the 12V power distribution to be just fine. The first power line feeds mainly the motherboard through the ATX connector while the other three lines feed all of the power hungry parts (CPUs and GPUs). And every rail is powerful enough to easily power any parts currently available, even if they are heavily overclocked. I sincerely do not see why you think there is something wrong with it.

We built a specialized testing station just because simply connecting a power supply to a system is no way to test it; the load is uncontrollable and too low. Even a very powerful dual CPU/GPU system which you mentioned would not draw more than 40-50% of this unit's power output; a 1kW power supply can easily power a 3-way GPU system with over 10 HDD drives connected. Besides it would make no difference over our testing, even if we supposed that we could somehow control and/or accurately monitor a system's power load, because the results would not differ from the ones we took when we tested the unit under a corresponding load. Finally, we do not "load every rail to its maximum", which is not even possible; we balance the load between the lines, much like how the power would be distributed while powering a high performance computer.

7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Thanks for your reply. I would never suggest not using a purpose built test rig, as you say just hooking up to a system is no way to test a PSU of any standard or output.

My concern (perhaps unjustifiably) with many-rail PSUs is that there is a danger of loading too much onto one rail if not careful. I remember when Zardon was testing the Skulltrail SLI setup he had one branded 1kW+ PSU fail to work and another die, but was fine with the Corsair HX1000, a unit with 60A 12v rails.

Thinking about it now though, I find it hard to imagine a setup that would exceed the ratings of these rails. Maybe 6 graphics cards in a folding rig could draw too much from the motherboard (max 75W each)? A very heavily overclocked i7? Both are extreme scenarios though, and the chances are this PSU would be fine with them anyway.