Antispyware software?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by deborahking, Aug 31, 2010.

1. deborahking

deborahking New Member

What's the best software to prevent spyware infections?

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Good AntiVirus software covers that too. But make sure to upgrade to the latest program version as well as keeping their database updates going. Program versions from a couple of years back tend to care much less about spyware/adware even after renewing the license for purely database updates.

3. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

There is a trend to name many "Antivirus" as "Antimalware", to indicate that they do cover other malware, though earlier antivrus were, as suggested, less rigourous in hunting down non-viral parasites.

You MAY be able to run spybot S&D in conjunction with an antivirus, but there is a danger they will tread on each others toes, though actually, it's ok with several, even the ones which kick you toward removal. The Teatimer function should be turned off if another program is guarding the registry against unwelcome changes.

Microsoft have two solutions, "Windows Defender", an antispyware ONLY which you would use in conjunction with another antivirus, or "Microsoft Security Essentials" which is a full antimalware and supercedes (disabling or uninstalling as appropriate) Windows Defender.

Threatfire is another option, which is supposed to increase protection compared to many other antivirus products on their own, though with the action of a behavior blocker, some other programs may give similar coverage, but a lot of prompting for things like registry access.

Historically, of the free ones, Avira/Antivir has usually been strongest against "other malware", but with a tendency to false positives, though it seems they may have managed to curtail that more recently.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

5. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

I have AV real-time protection, once in a while scan with an AS (i also like SuperAntiSpyware which saved my ass not long ago. I ditched Spybot in favor of SAS) and practice safe hex. Then IF infected, download other AS as needed to help repair any damage.

6. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

I use a combination of AVG, MSE, and Spybot. They don't seem to provide conflicts - AVG manages the firewall, Teatimer manages the registry, and MSE catches whatever the other two don't.

7. Angelorum

Angelorum New Member

I use ZenOK Free Antivirus, completed secutiry software that includes antispyware, it's been a while an my computer has been working good.