AntiVirus. Do you use it and which one

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by germanjulian, Aug 24, 2004.

?

Which AV program do you use?

1. McAffe

24 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Norton

54 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. AVG

37 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Panda

7 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Other

66 vote(s)
    31.4%
  6. NONE! cause I am clever

22 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. nitrousoxide52

nitrousoxide52 Driverheaven.com err .net

AVG all the way, I hate norton....

2. Captn

Captn New Member

A very good choice & the price is right. ;)

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

My personal recommendations (I've used every single one AV software in my store.. these are my choices):

Kaspersky is by far the best, but the pricetag is too high. However, this thing catches everything that the others let through. It's so good at what it does you almost forget how much you paid for it.

Panda Softwares Titanium AV USED to be 1st best AV software out there (I still use Titanium 2003), now it's the 2nd. However, 2005 is PURE CRAP. Panda used to sell their Titanium AV software seperate from their Titanium Platinum Firewall/AV package. Since the latter package didn't sell to well they decided just to sell the once software: the Platinum pack. If it works the first time you install it, fantastic, and be happy. The 2005 version can be very picky on what systems it'll run on (forget Win9x/ME), and the license can flake out 1 outta 5 times (you will get to know tech support people on a first name basis).

McAfee would be my third choice (although it's just on my list). You can still get this without all the Security junk, and their registration process is simple. Not as good as the above 2 though, however, it is better, muuuuch better than my next listing...

Ones I hate: NORTON!!! This [​IMG][​IMG] (can you tell how much I hate this thing yet?!?), Piece of [​IMG][​IMG]!!! lets through viruses all the time. Lemme put it this way: rather than catching the virus before your PC gets infected Norton lets the damn thing in, and after your PC is infected Norton THEN tells you it 'caught a virus', or doesn't tell you squat until you MANUALLY scan your system. And get this: 90% of the time it can't 'disinfect' or clean it out. Hello? Your supposed to stop them from getting in you stupid PO[​IMG][​IMG]! Some of you may say you are happy with Norton, but I bet you my friends Pinto that if you scanned your system with Kaspersky or Panda that you would find AT LEAST 1 infected file. Come to think of it.. Norton is as reliable, and is worth about as much as a Pinto, so that should tell you something. OOOhh.. and Norton Security.. HOLY MOTHER OF [​IMG].. King of PO[​IMG][​IMG]'dom. The only good use for those discs is for fending of pedlers and solictors. God I hate Norton.

Sorry for that last part.. but Norton can [​IMG] in hell. Opps..

Um.. I did mention I liked Kaspersky, right? ;)

-Tip

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  4. Son_of_Thunder

Son_of_Thunder New Member

panda online activescan when i feel i need it, other than that, none.

edit

i've only had 1 virus infect 1 of my computers in 6 years of owning and operating my own PC's...my dad has had a lot more trouble than me and he pays for norton.

5. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

I use Kasperky Pro 5, the reason being cause I have installed the following and non of them have detected a virus that was concealed within an exe file. I used the infected file as a test on a spare PC, here is a list of what i tested the file with:

NOD32 1.1073
    Norton Antivirus Pro 2005
    Panda Antivirus Platinum 7.0
    McAfee 9.0
    PC Cillan 2005
    eTrust EZ Antivirus 2005 v7.0.5.3
    F-Secure 2005
    BitDefender 8.0

All the above had the latest DAT file updates, the only antivius apps that located the virus was Kasperky 4.5, the latest Pro 5 version and Symantec Norton Corporate 9. The vius located was the "Red Raider", Code Red burned brightly in the summer of 2001, infecting hundreds of thousands of computers--mainly on corporate networks. Code Red slithered through a hole in Internet Information Server (IIS) software, which is widely used to power Internet servers, then scanned the Internet for vulnerable systems to infect and continue the process. The worm used contaminated PCs as weapons in denial of service attacks--flooding a Web site with a barrage of information requests. The original target was the official White House Web site, but government officials changed the site's IP address to thwart the attack.

So my advice is, try Kasperky 5 Pro and perform a system scan, you may just be impressed.

EDIT: The choice of antivirus applications/suites within the poll is a bit of a letdown. Perhaps more could have been added.

6. Rumble

Rumble New Member

i just installed Kasperky antivirus personal pro and anti-hacker and i can say i am amazed . Suddenly it is less heavy that th panda internet security even with the real time protection enabled .

7. 997C2S

997C2S New Member

I have Kaspersky on my computer, but it is not on. I only put it on when I have a certain feeling that a file could be a virus

8. goranpaa

goranpaa New Member

Kaspersky Antivirus Personal. No other beats it! Especially when it comes to scanning compressed files. Death to Norton!

9. BWX

BWX get out and ride

After 2 months I can say AVG is much better than Symantec corp AV for me.

Much less of a recourse hog- I only use it for scanning emails- and don't have any automatic features come on. Same as I used Symantec.

10. Blackboost

Blackboost -=[DHzer0point Author]=-

F-Prot 3.16b
    Uses very little resources, super fast scanner and detects almost (if not everything) everything. I moved to it from Norton Internet Security when I decided to try Windows Server 2K3 and I haven't looked back since.

11. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

Same here, haven't used one in about 2 - 3 years now. Don't see the need of bloating my system with crap and to be honest I find antivirus software causes more problems then it helps.. the only virus scan I use is the one from housecall and it works fine for me. Also I make sure that my internet settings are tight, so that when i'm browsing i'm not downloading crap as far as cookies and such. It's called preventative action. :cool:

12. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Same here. I also used F-Prot, and it's been reliable, always detected when I brought an infected disk.

13. DrSpank

DrSpank New Member

I use Nod32. Have tried Norton, AVG, Kaspersky in that order. Kaspersky was very good but a bit of a CPU gobbler.

Those of you using Norton, have you tried any other antivir? IMO norton apps got to be the worst piece of sh!t software ever constructed. Bad on memory and CPU and next to impossible to uninstall.

14. Ryuujinx1

Ryuujinx1 New Member

i use Avast, it works and is good considering im using a free software. I also have AVG free. i only open that when i do a virus scan. usually just let AVAST take care w/ auto-protect. But a boot scan with Avast followed by a scan with AVG in windows usuall kills any vvirus that might have snuck in.

15. waterloo

waterloo New Member

I use Anti-vir, ipcop, nvidia firewall, windows firewall, spyware doctor, ad-aware, and spybot S&D, oh and my BRAIN!:lol::lol::lol: