Any good Torrent programs to use?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by benw1981, Aug 26, 2006.

1. benw1981

benw1981 New Member

i dont no if im using a good torrent program or not.

Im using Utorrent at the mo it was working good and now its just slow and i cant seem to get lots of seeds on it either i did use azures wasnt a big fan on that so does any1 know of any better ones than utorrent?

thankx

2. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

utorrent is actually pretty good, i've used Azureus for years though, not gonna change anytime soon.

Lack of seeds could be for a hundred different reasons and is more likely to be something to do with the network or your setup to be honest

3. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Azureus and uTorrent are the two best out right now and I give the edge to uTorrent for its low resource usage/overall speed. Like Al_Vampyre said slow speeds could be for a number of reasons and I doubt its becuase of the app itself.

Edit- If you are behind a router or firewall you can increase overall speeds by making yourself connectable. Make sure you have set a port in the app and that you have that same port open in your router/firewall settings(use a port in the 45000-55000 range)

4. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

utorrent is the best imo. Not connecting to seeds will not be the app's fault. Check out the utorrent forums and there are a few faq's of things to try to improve things.

5. benw1981

benw1981 New Member

thankx for that yeah i am behind a router and i have read some stuff on forums and they said that the ports that utorrent use r from 6884 - 6890 or somewhere around that area. so i put that in there as well as utorrent. but the d/l speed is still under 10kb/s it used to be about 20kb/s but no faster than that so any help d/l faster would be great as my asdl d/l should b at 1.5mb/s.

cheers

6. dipstick

dipstick New Member

You should specify a port in the range I mentioned above due to some ISP's throttling the popular ones, like the ones you mentioned. But you have to understand that with BT your speed will only be as fast as the generosity of the guy sharing to you. There can be 100 seeds but if they all upload at 5kb your download will suck as others in line will share that too. It would be best to try out a few torrents from different places and see if things pick up. I'm on a 20mbit line and still I download many things at only 10-20kb...

7. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Also alot of trackers are banning standard torrent ports, so pick a range high up.

8. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

I been using bitcomet anyone got any info on that? Should I change to Utorrent?

9. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Alot of trackers (mostly private) are banning bitcomet, something about it doesn't respect when a tracker has a privat flag set.

Dont know if they fixed it though.

10. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Do try a port in the higher range (I use 49990-49999), forward that range in your router, and make sure that that protocol encryption and allow incoming latency connections, peer exchange are all enabled in utorrent's 'bittorrent' options.

11. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

I can also recommend uTorrent. Small, simple, reliable and robust :)

Regards, Partizan

12. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

dont forget the cable ISP's throttling (i use dsl+utorrent)