Any Merchant Mariners Here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by |2A|N, Apr 20, 2009.

1. |2A|N

|2A|N SE7EN57

My move last month took an unexpected plunge and the job fell through at my expense...

Anyhow I made the decision to apply for my Z-Card from the Coast Guard in hopes it will land me a good job on a Vessel or Tug.

I just recieved my TWIC (Transportation Workers Identification Credential)which is a new and mandatory system through homeland Security today along with my drug screen results from the REC which of course were negative.

My final step is to mail everything off tomorrow to the Coast Guard REC Center for processsing and if all goes well I will recieve my Z-Card within 6-8 weeks from now.

I have a few friends who are Captains on Tugs and will probably land me a Deckhand job to get some experience and seatime in so one day I can ultimately try and land a job on a Cargo ship which pays very well.

The Maritime industry is expected to boom within the next 7 years and although at my age 32 I'm getting a late start, it's at the best possible time from what I have been hearing as of lately from friends and the net.

What are your thoughts?

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

No experience with this mate and good luck with it :)

You might want to ask Falstaff about this he is the DH member with seasoned sea legs ;)

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Good luck. Tell me how it goes, although I am far away from you, I am thinking about it too.