Any new CPUs coming out anytime

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by funbill, Jun 29, 2003.

1. funbill

funbill New Member

Hey, I dont browse too many manufacturar news places and was wonderin what was coming ahead in the worlds of Intel and AMD. Is there gonna be a P5 anytime soon? Also, some people I heard last year talked about some kind of AMD "Hammer". Is anyone doing nano tech yet. TIA

2. craig588

craig588 Banned

are you kidding?

3. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

hey there is still some people that cant know every aspect about the new hardware "news" anywya funbill u should hang around driver heaven and/or guru3d.com to know more about the new CPUs and other hardware :)

4. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I have a suggestion for you. Go to google.com and type in google toolbar. Download and install it. Type in any words you have questions about, such as AMD CPU or INTEL CPU or Pentium hammer. Really, go get the toolbar. And another thing, you will get a better deal if you don't buy a Dell. Read up on all the parts of a PC you want and buy them seperately, then put them together for your next PC- you will have twice the PC for half the money! :D Nothing wrong with that.

5. craig588

craig588 Banned

Well the post seems legit, its just the nano tech stuff that threw me.

6. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

I have never believed in answering someone's question by telling them to go do a websearch. This is akin, I think, to yelling "RTFM!" to someone who has a technical problem.

That said, I do think that downloading the new GoogleBar is a good idea. The newest beta blocks popups! ;)

In a sense, funbill, nanotechnology is being utilized, inasmuch as the transistors on modern CPUs are measured in nanometers. This is probably not what you meant --I'm not entirely sure what you did mean-- but perhaps if you could clear it up, we could give you a clearer answer.

As far as Intel is concerned, they have Prescott on the way. Expected to be released later this year, Prescott is manufactured on a 90-nanometer (or .09 micron) fabrication process. Details on Prescott are scant. It may or may not be called the Pentium 5, and nobody knows what clockspeeds it will be introduced at. It almost goes without saying that the P5 will require an entirely new socket, though.

Now, on the AMD side, AMD's got two upcoming processors. By the end of the year, we should see Athlon 64s (Clawhammer), which is a desktop version of the previously released AMD Opteron (Sledgehammer). It is a 64-bit processor and is expected to have 1MB of L2 cache, with a performance ratings of up to 3800+ at launch (I think). Also possibly in the works is AMD's Thorton core. It is Barton-based and will have 256K of cache. If you have a modern motherboard, you should be able to use Thorton without a problem. Athlon 64, on the other hand, is going to require a new board.

Hope that helps!

7. craig588

craig588 Banned

I think he ment nanologicly augmenting people, like in so many sci-fi movies.

8. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I have never answered anyones question with "do a websearch" either. If someone asked me a question like, what is a good motherboard to buy for my new AMD 2600xp I would give an opinion, or if there was a question with a definate answer I would attemp to answer it.

When I hear a question such as "I heard people talking last year about an AMD "Hammer" ", I can only assume that this person does not know about or regularly use tools such as the almighty and (IMO) absolutely essential Google toolbar- Which is fine and I'm not knocking that- I didn't some years ago either :D .

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic in any way. I just knew as soon as he did what I suggested that not only would a whole new world open up to him, but he would also instantly find endless amounts of information on exactly his question. Really.

*give a man a fish, he eats one meal
    *teach a man to fish, never hungry again.

I was thinking somewhere along those lines. Plus he could find the answers faster than I could type them to him.

I thought he might be in the market for a PC by the way he was talking so I though I would throw in my 2 cents about that- It would save him about 1500 dollars. Again, no sarcasm intended.