anyone been watching series 2 of "dexter"?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by HardwareHeaven, Nov 18, 2007.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Series 1 was brilliant but I think series 2 is even better, some of the sharpest TV script writing in recent years. Episode 7 which aired this week was the best yet IMO.

Anyone else like it?

2. thunderclap

thunderclap New Member

I loved the first series and this second series has been pretty good. The only thing I'm not liking is Morgan's relationship with the older FBI guy. Neither my wife nor I are finding it very believable and a little forced. But it's still one of the best hours on television right now.

3. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

As you know, I'm a big fan of Dexter season 1 and loved the first two leaked episodes of season 2.

I'm just not digging this second season and feel the writing has gone downhill fast. Last season followed the Dexter novel and was pitch perfect, this season the writers decided to abandon the rest of the books and create original stories. The result has been a Dexter which resembles the convoluted love triangles of Desperate Housewives and writing as poor as one of those lame Sci-Fi channel movies. I can't stop rolling my eyes every time some character says to Dexter "What would you do if you were the Bay Harbour Butcher?", "You're a Saint Dexter!", "I wish the Bay Harbour Butcher was here right now I'd kiss him/kill him/thank him/give him a medal" or some equally lame ironic comment so that even the dumbest viewer will be in on the joke. Get it? He's the Butcher!

The acting is still top notch and I think Dexter's sister is even better looking than last season though I can't stand how they're just making up excuses to get her in the sack with someone. She'll be banging the FBI guy and of course get some inside info that will save Dexter...I can see it a mile away.

I kinda like the way Dexter is handling Doakes even though it is absolutely out of character and stupid to do at least they're on the verge of killing each other :D

Hopefully the season picks up and the writing improves for the 3rd season (and there will be one I'm sure the show is getting more popular).

4. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Man I love the show. It's so original, and it does indeed keep getting better. And shit, is his sponsor ever hot :drool:

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Ok, one last bit of criticism of this season (also a minor spoiler for those that missed last weeks episode).

Has anyone else gotten annoyed the way shows handle these supposed "Brilliant Cops" such as Dexter's FBI Agent Lundy who came to the conclusion the Bay Harbour Butcher is a Cop just because he tried to confuse the police as to his motives. You'd do the exact same thing if you didn't want to get caught...anyone who has seen movies about serial killers would try to confuse the police.

That's just poor writing and it ruined the second season of another good show. Agent Mahone on "Prison Break" Season 2 was supposed to be this brilliant cop brought in to catch the convicts yet we never saw any brilliance from him, he'd just stare at a wall and then go "The Schofield brothers will be at a cemetary at 1pm!" even though he shouldn't be able to figure that out. Lazy writers just need a way to have their heroes almost caught by the police and it severely affects the quality of the show.

Anyway...end of rant.

6. HardwareHeaven

Yeah ive heard a lot of people feel this, but quite honestly I wanted some character development and for dexter to mature, have experiences rather than continue along the lines of continual hunts every episode - im not a big fan of 2d shows with "bad guys" without a soul, its very unrealistic and most killers certainly have had situations and mental trauma to push them into the persona they have taken, ive taken quite a few courses on sociology and find it deeply compelling to understand why people do things rather than just the actions. While season 1 was extremely entertaining i like the angle they are taking this series of attempting to develop the cast. as for desperate housewives, well ill be very uncool here and say i love that show as well, its just so funny.

I agree the acting is awesome, but i can't believe you followed it up with how hot looking his sister is. I think she is really quite plain, far too thin and quite honestly (and much more importantly) one of the worst actresses ive seen on tv. everytime I see her in a scene i just groan out loud at the three facial expressions she is capable of delivering, she ruins most scenes she is in, so that would be my only problem with the series. im hoping she gets killed and dexter goes postal. Her idiotic smirk drives me nuts. I will say however that her relationship with the FBi guy is not entirely unrealistic to me, especially going on her past and the fact she lacks a father figure and someone to look up with stability and maturity. She is a messed up character emotionally.

Out of character !? I actually am beginning to wonder if you are watching the same show as me ! I think his handling of doakes borders on mastermind level. The way he played him for a few episodes, increased the tension slowly so doakes was less apt to think.... then has landed the killer punch in Episode 7. If you saw that coming you must be physic ! Was a fantastically directed episode. I think its extremely in character for dexter to be wanting doakes out of the way, and obviously its going to lead up to doakes tailing him and dexter working some way to take him out once and for all, if i put myself in dexters shoes this is exactly how I would have done it: stage 1, get doakes discredited, out of the task force lowering his research resources, stage 2 will be to remove him permanently without getting caught or associated with the killing. Sure there are flaws with the show, I dont think ive ever watched a TV show which didnt have some annoyances, but as an overall 40 minutes of entertainment I find it hard to fault, especially the actor who plays Dexter, he was awesome in six feet under too, just such an unusually composed actor.

Well I can't disagree with you more, however I seem to rarely agree with you on tv shows but at least its a good debate, but I have to say when I read your post it was polar opposite of what ive felt this season. I guess i like character development and the fact they are spending some time turning dexter into a person, rather than a gorefest black and white entity as they did in quite a bit of season 1 (which was also excellent but in a different way).

EDIT: well at least I agree with you about prison break, series 3 has been awful imo.

7. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

The thing I liked about the show is that Dexter doesn't have human emotions so he pretends to have them to fit in. Now he's acting like the average dumb guy sleeping around and pissing off his girlfriend when he's been training himself for years to blend in.

I have read the same criticism of this actress and I guess I just don't see it. I think she's cute and it may have affected my judgment :D

I nearly jumped out of my seat when Dexter headbutted Doakes and I thought it was brilliant the way he baited him but it was also incredibly stupid to be pissing off a Delta force (or whatever he is) cop who has it out for you. Dexter's creed prevents him from harming Doakes so why shouldn't he just leave Doakes alone? The path he's on now will result in one of them dying unless the writers pussy out and Doakes gets killed by someone else or leaves Dexter alone.

LOL, I've really enjoyed this season of Prison Break, it actually takes place in a prison unlike last season! Last season got on my nerves because it was nothing but cliffhangers without payoffs and tons of conspiracy bullshit.

8. HardwareHeaven

Only on the surface, you are watching the metamorphosis of a man with a deeply troubled past who is having a hard time dealing with life and is trying to become "normal" by exorcising his demons. I think this is the whole point people are missing, Dexter is actually a human being whose mental state was caused by witnessing the horrific and brutal murder of his mother when he was a kid as well as a surrogate father who fed this corrupt illness which infestated. This is a whole grey area in the show and one I love, was he really a born killer or was the fact his childhood was so traumatic that he turned to this under the misguided hand of his guardian step father. Certainly if we go on Dexters dream sequences he has plenty of pain and emotional torment - he doesnt seem to be a born, true evil killer like some in history. The issue im seeing is people want another series of 1 episode hunt and murder's and that to me would be extremely unrealistic considering the fact the law is onto him as well as the fact he killed his brother in the first series which started a deep thinking process. I can understand it isn't perhaps as good action tv for people who were into the hunting style episodes of the first series, but I think its a fine development and a good insight into a deeply troubled person, its also considerably deeper when you study all the relationship and interactions that have happened around him - im loving the way its all flowing so far. Dexter is a person I might add you end up feeling sorry for quite often even though he is a mass murderer. If that isn't good deep scripting im not sure what is.

there is no "may" in it, she is dire. There was a scene she did with Doakes in the last episode and I almost swore that the actor playing Doakes looked at her and was about to say "jesus christ why am I acting with this woman, she is terrible!". It was a scene that required her to look serious and in thought, and as usual she ended up looking like someone just farted behind her and she wanted to just burst out laughing. that inane grin of hers just does my head in. Quite how the director hasn't seen (or chooses to ignore it) baffles me.

Not at all, it was proved earlier in the show that Dexter is more than a match for him physically especially with the martial arts training he had (vastly apparent by his killing ability shown throughout huge portions of the show). Dexter wouldn't be that transparent to go out on a full frontal attack, however Doakes backed him into a corner and hasn't let up in this relentless quest to expose Dexter ......... and Dexters deviousness and intelligence has now put Doakes in an extremely awkward position, particularly considering his job and access to materials to do his job. The way Dexter entered the main cop room after that headbutt, knowing that Doakes would attack him was just classic. One of the best moments of Tv I can remember in a long time. all a build up from the fake blood spatter report to weaken Doakes standing as a stable well balanced person. Dexter has fed the flames of doubt into Doakes superior quite well so far - so much so, she doesn't even believe Doakes is mentally stable at all anymore. I find it extremely in line with how Dexter would act and totally believable.

Survival, the most base instinct........ Dexter is aware that Doakes is onto him, from the tapes, the tailing to the reformation club. everything has led up to this point. He has to protect himself. Dexter also knows that Doakes can see past most of his cherades. Doakes has this canny gift to feel that something is seriously wrong with dexter, but he can't put his finger on it.

Oh I can't see Doakes leaving Dexter alone and I think he knows it. Im waiting to see how this pans out.

Prison break in the 3rd season is stale, and a pale immitation of the first one. The second series was worse than the first, however you had a lot of action, good chases and quite often some clever scripting (as well as some equally ludicrous!).

Series 3 scripting has been absolutely dire and the whole ridiculous setting is just the icing on the cake, there are so many story plot holes I wouldn't even know were to begin. No wonder the doctor left in series 2, she must have read series 3 script.

9. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Zardon have you been tempted to buy the books?

The descriptions sound amazing. I just don't want to spoil the series because even though the tv series is now using original stories it clearly lifted some material from the books

Dexter Books | About the Books

10. HardwareHeaven

yes I read those two during the first series. (well ive read three, not sure if there are any more now).

11. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Last nights episode kicked a ton of ass! I'd even go as far as to say it cleared up a lot of my problems with the season all in one fell swoop. Things are getting pretty intense for Dexter and I can't wait to see what happens next :D

12. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Perhaps it was the wrong episode for a newcomer to the series to begin with, but after dragging through the first episode of the second season I hope Dexter dies slowly in the last episode. After the first ten minutes of the show I thought about dying myself. Sorry. ;)
    (The narcissistic narrative didn't work for me and the flashbacks didn't string a chord, like "we know you're seriously fucked up, so what". Add that to the obvious silliness of others not seeming to get obvious clues or in this episode seemingly even accepting the fact that he's a murderer.)

13. HardwareHeaven

well you can hardly expect to jump in after a years worth of back story, character building and get anything from it.

Im sorry I started this thread now, im off again to bang my head against the wall. ill stick to posting reviews !

14. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

I just love Dexter it's a ever developing story and some very decent acting. Plus Rita is hot! :D

15. Reckless187

Reckless187 New Member

I've been watching Dexter after someone recommended the show & think it's great but wasn't too sure about Dexters character in the second series. He seems a bit feeble compared to the first series & kind of comes across at times as just another serial killer that I want to see get caught til I realise he's the hero of the show.

They should have followed the books tbh with the second series although saying that some of the episodes have been quite good in this second outing.

I don't fancy his sister much, although, whe she puts on that english accent to take the piss out of Dexters pyromaniac bird, it makes me wanna bend her over & do her doggy style for some reason. :drool:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  16. Reckless187

Reckless187 New Member

What is the difference between Doakes & Dexter? Doakes shot the Haitan because he'd escaped justice for crimes commited whilst Doakes was serving for the special forces in Haiti so he shot the guy & planted a gun on him. They're both a bit viginalte, taking matters into thier own hands. I think Doakes wil see Dexter as a kindred spirit & maybe help him out or turn a blind eye.

17. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Reckless, I guess you didn't see last weeks episode, kindred spirits they are not.

18. Reckless187

Reckless187 New Member

Damn. :( lol,

The 2nd series of Dexter hasn't started airing in the UK yet. I'm having to aquire the episodes. & my pc has been out of action since I impatiently sold my graphics card & should be gtting my 3870 today!

19. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Watched the first two seasons in the past week, great show.

Was also impressed by the show's score.

20. Guyver2K5

Guyver2K5 Don't make me hungry.

i love it, wonder whats gonna happen to dokes(sp?)
    Will dexter take a break? i hope not