Anyone dual-booting Vista and Linux?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by RIV@NVX, Dec 4, 2008.

1. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

I read around the net that you need special tricks to make Linux and Vista dual boot because of Vista's bootloader. Is that true?
    Is anyone dual-booting that? Any issues?
    I was thinking Fedora or Ubuntu with Vista, but if there are any complications (compared to XP/Linux dual boot) I will just go the Wubi way.

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Grub and lilo newest versions should work just fine.

3. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

What about Vista's bootloader? Doesn't Vista complain if GRUB overwrites it or something?

4. Samir

Samir kX Lover

Will work fine if you install Vista first. Any newer distro should recognize & setup Vista "chainloader" boot from NTFS partition without problem.
    Just make sure you dont reinstall Vista after Linux installation, as it will wipe Linux (GRUB, Lilo, etc...) boot loader...

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I dualbooted xubuntu and vista for a while, but I find it easier to install vista with only the vista hard drive in, install linux with only the linux hard drive in, and then stick them both in and use the mobo to choose what I want. That way there's no hassle if I want to remove / change / add to the setup.

6. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

There are ways to get it to work, I believe using GRUB works fine as long as you tell it which drive your Windows is installed on.

But usually what I do is install Linux (and the Linux boot loader) to a separate hard drive from my Windows, and when I want to boot Linux, I just hit F12 at the bios screen and boot from that drive as opposed to the default which is my windows drive.

Edit: blibbax beat me to it.:D

blibbax likes this.
  7. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

I loaded Ubuntu to a separate partition on the same drive after Vista64 was already loaded, and used the Ubuntu loader, then edited the Ubuntu loader file to set Vista to boot first. It was easy - no problems - Googled that bit. If you haven't got it sorted already, I can point you I think...

Got bored with Ubuntu, and wanted to wipe that partition and put XP Pro 32 bit on instead - and revert to using the Vista64 loader to dual boot those two. That procedure was much more "fun" :duh:, and time consuming...