anyone get the DH email spam?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Announcements' started by Geminiwave, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

My inbox was flooded with an ad from ATI about their new HD graphics cards. it even had a little plug from Driverheaven in it.

It was kind of obnoxious though. I've never signed up to get stuff from them. Any time I've entered a contest I've said "DONT SEND ME ANY EMAIL" so I dunno...and to get so many of them this morning was quite unnerving.

Anyway did anyone else get the ATI DH spam?

2. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i just did get something about it. didnt look at it though and just deleted it.

3. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

yea, i got one of those.

weird thing is, i don't know how they got my email if i've never provided them w/my email.

...unless some ATI affiliated website provided them w/my email addy in return for cash :hmm:

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I just checked my own email and -- this information AD came from Driverheaven.

If you prefer to not get emails from DriverHeaven, I think you need to review the settings in your profile regarding whether Administrators can send emails to you.

The only thing puzzling about mine is that I got TWO...about 2 minutes apart.

I didn't find it obnoxious at all and likely would have missed it if not for this thread.

5. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

yeah I've gotten tons. I just noticed it was from DH

funny thing is that it was sent to all of my email addresses and I didnt think DH had all those...*shrug*

Oh well that is less troublesome if they come from DH. Still somewhat troublesome but nothing hugely bad.

6. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Its an oppurtunity to read a really great review from Stewart and Allan...
    SHAME ON YOU!!!!

7. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

At first I was like wtf why is AMD mailing me then I checked that it came from DH and my next question is why is DH sending out ads for AMD?

On other forums people always talk about how DH is ATI friendly/biased and this only makes such a presumption worse.

8. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

actually, i would find this troublesom. we would only have one registered email address with DH in association with our username here on DH. now, if this ATI email came from DH to any other email that you did not provide to DH, then that would imply, to me at least, that DH is using some kind tracking system to see what email addys you have so they know where to send these emails to.

on that note, the ATI email i received was delivered to my gmail which is NOT registered with DH. i have my hotmail addy registered to DH.

9. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  10. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

ok guys, firstly relax. I wasn't aware of this and I will be looking into it. This has came from our PR team and is quite honestly a bit of a mess, it looks like it has came from ATI when in fact it has came from our guys. I am extremely irritated I wasn't consulted on this and trust me I will be looking into it.

Let me just address something, apparently in one of the prior ATI competitions it stated that when you entered you allowed that email address to receive emails from ATI regarding offers, this is in fact what has happened, although obviously no one should have received more than one email.

I will investigate, I will merge some threads here as well.

11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Just to update: I just checked my [EDIT: Gmail address] email again and there are THREE emails there now. And, like CDs said above, that email isn't even registered with DH. ???

And, I didn't even enter any contests. ???

I'm not annoyed, just puzzled and wanting to let you know what's happening on my end, too.

12. HardwareHeaven

look let me make it clear, there is no tracking system in place, we aren't farming out emails to third parties and there is nothing suspicious going on here - these emails came from our own server - although with "ATI" in the sender name I can understand the confusion. From what i know this morning, the emails you guys received were due to the 10,000 euros competition we ran a while ago and it stated the email addresses you entered could be used to receive promotions in the future, however I have limited information right now.

UPDATE: Our own email server is dead, so im guessing when this was sent last night, it has crashed, stuck in a loop and is now dead.

All I can do is apologise to you all for this horrible mess up - If I had been in on the loop it wouldn't have happened in the manner it did. I will make sure this doesnt happen again.

13. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

this is a business problem Allan, but it was a great review...so why all the drama for this, I was surprised, but it was a refreshing change of pace from the other crap I usually get...

14. HardwareHeaven

Well I appreciate your positive comments Jeff, nice to hear. However positives aside, this has been a bit of a mess. After some analysis and head bashing today, it is clear that the email server died during the initial send and has looped, this is why some people have only a few emails, and others 10+.

No one hates email spam more than me, and those of you who know me are aware I have set up a spamarrest account to battle my own spam problems, so the last thing I would expect you guys to accept is numerous emails from us regarding an ATI promotion. We will implement an unsubscribe at a later date.

I have addressed this to the guys involved and ill try and make sure the mass emailing won't happen again.

Incidentally I have been informed that no one was emailed who hadn't entered into one of the ATI competitions beforehand (and it was clearly stated in the entering rules), so that is why you got the emails in the first place, nothing suspicious. Obviously you all should only have received one email, not a multitude.

Once again, my deepest apologises to everyone, if I could kiss you all and make up, I would. Obviously the hot chicks (geminiwave) get priority with that.

15. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

yeah...I got some kind of uh email....saying ummm that I won an Alien system from DH...ummm yeah...I am sure of it Allan...yeah...sure thought that is what it said...yep....sure of it....
    maybe the email server messed up...yeah...thats it...:)

16. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

I have entered quite a few contests here and I appreciate the opportunity to do so and the fact that DH has great contests. I don't remember all the contests and there entering rules.
    So because we entered and accepted these rules does that mean that we will never be able to unsubscribe? What is the acceptable time limit on such a thing? I am sure it was a result of that x1950 suitcase contest and it was about six months ago. Will we ever be able to get the email we used in that contest removed from future promotions by ATI/AMD? The only reason I am so concerned is I was one of the people who received 10+ emails, 21 to be exact. 20 received yesterday and for some reason I got another one this morning that was dated yesterday. Thx

17. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Allan already explained that there was a problem with the email server, thats why people got more than one email. He is going to try and make sure the mass emails don't happen again. Really isn't much more to say about it.

18. HardwareHeaven

Ok, well I have explained this in detail, im not really sure how to keep rewording what ive said a few times already. But ill try again as I know a lot of people are pissed off. If anyone else going to post in this thread could please read this before venting it would save me having to type it all again.

When our PR guys emailed this out last night (without me being fully in on the loop), something happened with the email server and it looped during the mass send until I woke up this morning and realised something was wrong, I got 5 of the emails myself which was a good indication something went wrong so I went to investigate. Craig and our guys behind the scenes have fixed the email server and we are going to make sure this doesn't happen again.

The next email you guys receive (won't be for months), will have an unsubscribe option and you can remove yourselves from that.

Once again, I sincerely do apologise for the inconvenience it caused all our members who entered the competition.

19. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

I understand what and why. That is not my question.
    Whether we got more than what we were supposed to or not is irrelevant, we were still supposed to get one. I am curious as to how long we will be candidates for getting any spam. If it is forever then I am going to send myself a subscription for another gmail account and delete this one.

20. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

I got it too, but I only received one of them, not a bunch of them.

I don't mind EM's from ATI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.