anyone have any experience with this monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dark Lord, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

Newegg.com - Acer P235Hbmid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000:1(ACM) Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors

im looking at that monitor, which will be on sale tomorrow for 139.99 + 10% cash back. i cant seem to find any mention of it here in the forums though.

from the reviews i see, it looks pretty good. ill be using this for entertainment primarily. pc gaming, web browsing, movies, and my ps3 via hdmi.

any one have any experience with this? any glaring reason as to why i shouldnt buy it? this would be replacing my dell 2001fp.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Apart that it is an Acer? Hmm
    it's a 1080p and not 1200 monitor,
    It says DVI but not if it is DVI-D (edit: the photos show dvi-d so this is probably ok)
    The colour of the eh panel, where the inputs are, is without any paint. Perhaps not the best sign of quality.
    The HDMI letters on the top left of the monitor reminds me of digital watches with huge letters DIGITAL.
    The on/off button looks like it is a light. Make sure you can turn it off if that bothers you (and if it is indeed a light). If it isn't a light, the aesthetics of having those thick lines near it are...subjective.
    The front bazel looks like it is polished or something. If you have lights behind your back, it might give some unwanted reflections on it, or worse from the screen itself.
    I am not sure there is enough air vent on the top to cool the unit if the ambient temperature is very hot.
    I have serious doubts it is a true 16.7 million colour at this price. It's probably a 6bit TN panel. Which might not be a problem, but you might have issues with, say, the blacks in movies.
    If you don't mind for any of the above,
    For $126 it is good.
    It looks like a keeper.
    Buy it.

3. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i think im going to pass on it. between the lack of info/reviews on it, and neweggs terrible dead pixel policy, i think its best if i save my cash for something else.

4. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

it seems to be a good lcd i hear acer makes pretty good lcds for that price thats a steel thats about how much my pops got his 24" asus lcd for last year and its a great lcd..

5. BigBodZod

BigBodZod Member

I also like the Acer Widescreens, I have an old 2216wd and it's been working great for 2+ years now, no dead pixels that I have noticed ;)

But the downside of this model is that it's native resoltion is only 1680 x 1050 in a 16:10 mode.

I like how the newer models have the HDMI input and a full 1080p resolution of 1920 x 1080.