Anyone Listen to....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by SFOSOK, Aug 29, 2006.

1. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, Children of Bodom, or Arch enemy?

Just wondering really.

Lamb of God released sacrament bout a week ago. Killswitch is working on a new cd and CoB and Arch Enemy are probably workin on something.

Just wondering also what are some good albums to buy for CoB and Arch Enemy. I already have every cd of both Killswitch and LoG.

So what do you guys think of these bands?

Trutfhully Lamb of God is probably my fav metal band right now. Most people can't stand the vocals but it really does sound good to me and always had even when I hated growling. Its also a change from the whiny metal bands. I like the metal dark and the vocals with talent not so much vocal skill.

Prolly why I never got into any genre's with crappy singers.

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

over modulated
    loud.
    nothing new.
    but then...
    I am an old fart..LOL
    cant stand that crap..

3. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

You might like Chimaera too....dunno what CDs CoB has out...there's only 2-3 though

4. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I've listened to Chimera and though they are musically talented, they don't show it a lot of the time. There are only a few songs of theirs I can stand and I love em.

5. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Lamb of god? I prefer Pork of Satan.

Seriously, where the hell do these guys get the names from.

Sorry SFOSOK, ill shut up now and no I dont really like them to be honest, a little too heavy for my personal tastes. Im sure Asmoday likes them, the heavier the better for him, but then again he is swedish, they like their metal over there.

6. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Hell Yeah :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Don't ask why!

7. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I can't stand most of those guys... I'm into more... Dunno... :lol:

8. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

lol, its cool. Everyone has their own tastest. The music is becoming more melodic and darker as they progress. I think eventually they could be a mix between Pantera/Slayer.

I like a lot of things but those are basically my main metal tastes.

Edit: Also Killswitch gets really whiny sometimes. A couples instances I was listening to it and just got so pissed off at how emo they wre sounding and through the mix out the window. I've made about 10 of the same best of killswitch mix I made. Just hate whiney bands.

9. HardwareHeaven

i do like some metal but it would be no heavier than iron maiden, i always found them melodic and great musicans. I will say something, its been fascinating watching metal change as ive gotten older. the metal I liked as a kid was really just what you would class as hard rock now.

At least you like metal, and as long as people are playing some nasty licks I can dig it, my main problem is with the "singers", I honestly hate all that growling and stuff - it just ruins whatever great playing is going on in the background, and some of those bands have great guitar players.

I think I could have answered all that above in one line "im an old duffer now, cant deal with it". :p

10. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Yeah I perfectly understand your point. Singing is much > growling. Those are realy the only bands I like with growling in it though. Killswitch Engage's singer can really sing though and growls when he feels is appropiate for the song. Their original singer was better though. I can't stand bands like Black Dahlia Murder because the singing truelly does ruin the music, they have some awesome instrumentals but as soon as the singer opens his mouth the song is destroyed.

I like more Classic rock or Metal with singing (but I can't stand 80's metal). I can't say I don't like maiden but I can't say I like them either. I hate Guns and Roses with a passion, same with velvet revolver. Not a big fan of power metal either.

Truthfully I think they need more bands like Pantera or just bands where the singer is musically talented and can actually sing.

Really though growling in music is like an aquired taste and it really has to go with the music. I started with Lamb of God because the vocals didn't ruin the music and it just flowed nicely. I understand though everyone has a different taste. If you can stand it I'd have to say try to listen to a couple Lamb of God songs, if you don't like those songs then you probably won't like them.

Also Lyrically they are superior to most bands in their genre. (<--my opinion : )

Ruin - As the Palaces Burn
    11th hour - As the Palaces Burn
    The Faded Line - Ashes of the Wake
    One Gun - Ashes of the Wake
    Descending - Sacrament
    Walk With Me in Hell - Sacrament

Those are mainly their best so far. I understand though they are pretty heavy though.

Looks like with the new album they are moving away from thrash and goin towards a darker and heavier metal.

11. HardwareHeaven

interesting read SFOSOK, and I agree totally - im certainly not trying to say im right, and I appreciate its a popular genre - my mates were into death metal and stuff like that when I was younger and I always found it pretty unbearable - still I could appreciate at least they had ability. everyone has different tastes. I would listen to that kind of metal mind you before pop or some of the crap on the radio recently.

Ill maybe check out lamb of god later, although boy they need a name change, im into full spinal tap mode with that name.

how about bacon of the antichrist? or satanic chopped liver guts? yeah, yeah ok, ill shut up now :duh:

12. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

hahaha yeah I see ur point, kinda hard to be respected by anyone but die hard fans with a name like that.

Also I think in a couple years you should check out the Melodic death metal genere. Don't be fooled by the name, its really like death metal instrumentals with singers that actually sing. I still don't like the genre as of right now though cause it still has the death metal growling in it.

Some bands in the genre aren't like that but u could also check out:
    Dark Tranquility
    Soilwork

Also if ur more into thrash God Forbid and Trivium are pretty good.

And yes looking at those names it seems people are really running out of ideas.

Edited

13. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Ever listen to Pro-pain?

14. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

hahaha yeah

15. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

I have every Arch Enamy CD.

Ones I would rec: Black Earth, Burning Bridges, Anthems Of Rebellion (Ltd.Ed)

Some other albums you might like:
    Panzerchrist - Battalion Beast
    Beheaded - Ominous Bloodline
    Demilich - Nespithe
    Necrophagia - A Legacy of Horror, Gore, and Sickness
    Necrophagia - Harvest Ritual Vol. I
    Nile - Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren
    Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
    Suffocation - Pierced from Within

16. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

I like them all, but I have a Arch Enemy period right now...Angela Gossow...damn I couldn't believe when I first heard them that the singer was a female.... :wtf:

17. HardwareHeaven

I saw a live show of theirs on MTV2 last month, she sounds like a man. bit of slut too. utter crap music IMO, but what the hell do I know :p

18. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

let me think on that and get back to you....:x

19. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

There are subtle differences. When I first heard arch enemy I knew it sounded different and just automatically assumed it was a woman singing cause I know any guy wouldn't sound like that growling.

20. HardwareHeaven

Yes, I agree. her growling and screaming are more "female" like... brings a fresh new perspective on the talented art of sounding like a werewolf with a toothache. Such an awesome genre :x