Anyone with a X800 Pro yet driver help.

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by mike83wvu, May 16, 2004.

1. mike83wvu

mike83wvu New Member

Using the beta 6444 catalyst I am getting wierd black outs on part of the screen on occasion. Screen almost becomes like a puzzle with part of the screen becoming black & then as you move the mouse over the screen someof the sections will come back. The drivers are fine except for this maybe once a day occurence. 4.5 officials do not seem to do this but benchmarking results are about 15% less.

Anyone that has seen this & has a possible solution please let me know.

A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 Bios 1007
    Mobile 2500 @ 2507{11.5x218} 1.825 Core 2.8 DDR
    Muskin 3200 Black 2x256mb 11-3-3-2.5
    Raptor 74gb & Maxtor 120gb
    ATI RADEON X800 PRO {6444} 500/570
    Antec 480 True
    Thermalright SP-97 Mechatronics Fan 38C/44C
    Thermaltake 2000A Case
    Samsung 16x dvd
    Plextor DVD 708
    XP Pro

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

is this the same with no overclocking? I notice you are running 500/570.

I dont experience this on the PRO or the XT with either set of drivers. and what overclocking application are you using? when I was doing the review I had to get an internal application from ATI to overclock, the powerstrip beta worked partially but caused massive screen corruption.

3. mike83wvu

mike83wvu New Member

Actually did not notice any instances when non overclocked on the betas but on the 4.5 I do not experience any of it whether I overclocked or not .

Have tried ATI tool & powerstrip to overclock & got the same issue with both of them . The new Radlinker was incompatible.

Did you find the beta to be better as far as benchmarking than the official 4.5's? I thought the drivers were the same so thats why I am a little confused on the cause of my issue.

4. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

I have used the beta's extensively for a few weeks and didnt see this concern.
    Personally i think it looks like a bug with the betas , there may be some differences in control panel files etc which might cause this. (It could also be OC related) I'd stick to the WHQL set.
    As for performance increases, i'll have a look into it when i have a sec free and report back.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

this looks like the classic crash symptom i've seen....... you may want to attempt to reinstall the drivers... or even try a fresh format.... (as i think one time i had to format as it was windows screwing up)

6. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

got any screen shots? of this ?

7. @/2ct!<

@/2ct!< New Member

why, why are the admins trying to scare me with their avatars ?? Stupid beta drivers cause nothing but trouble, you need omegas for the x800s lol.

8. mike83wvu

mike83wvu New Member

I gave another reinstall a shot with removing the ATI reg entries this time, had just used the software uninstall utility in add/remove before & that may have done the trick. No instances have reoccured yet today.

I am liking this ATI Tool 0.0.20 version. I seem to be stable at 530/575. Not sure how accurate this finding max core/max memory feature is, it shows I still have more I could squeeze out. 3DMark 2003 of 10,369.

For me these beta drivers are much faster than the official 4.5's.

Thanks for all the input!

PS If you pickup the retail version { got mine from Bestbuy} the drivers on the furnished cd are yet a different version as far as I can tell & these had the worst performance of them all.

9. Stuart_Davidson

I did some testing last night on the performance. There are some differences between official and beta however i would expect an upcoming set will feature the same performance as the beta's.

10. mike83wvu

mike83wvu New Member

Did you conclude the betas as far as benchmarking were significantly better?

11. Stuart_Davidson

For speed, in some games/apps they are faster - yes. Thats because they are a newer build than the WHQL set AFAIK.