AOL may offer free high-speed Internet

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: Reuters
    NEW YORK (Reuters) - Time Warner Inc.'s AOL unit may offer its full menu of services, including e-mail, free of charge to anyone with a high-speed Internet connection, The Wall Street Journal said on Thursday, citing people familiar with the matter.

AOL could give up as much as $2 billion in subscription revenue if a gambit aimed at boosting the Internet service's advertising revenue goes ahead, the Journal said.

2. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Thier allready wall to wall ads and that was in the dial up days, god I'd hate to see it now,
    their spammers paradise is bad enough...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  3. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

I still don't understand why you would pay for broadband AND pay AOL for their "services" anyway. Makes no sense to me. :duh:

Might as well give it away for free. I certainly wouldn't be suckered into paying AOL for anything.

If ads are supposed to pay for everything, why do I have to pay for cable or internet? I'm really getting tired of ads in my face all the time. They act as if ads are MORE important than the content you were looking up or watching. :rolleyes:

AOL giving away ad-ridden services for free is the most reasonable thing I've seen from them yet. That's pretty sad when you think about it.

4. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

many ad supported services, turned pay services, my guess? Tjhier trying to get peopled
    hooked on the AOL factor. Then bait and switch by stopiing nd watching te new users sign
    up. Or people sign up for the pay service to reduce the ads.

5. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

AOL could give me a deep fried cow and then maybe I would suscribe, but not install.

6. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Is there any need for AOL now?

Their "lump" of a client had it's place, before Windows 95 provided standardized dialup support which all the other services used (in place of the old mishmash of DOS and Windows software stacks). Back in the days of the dialup BBS.

7. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

As AOL goes my subscription to them (a few years ago now) lasted well less than the 1 month's trial they offered.In fact i cancelled my net access in less than 24 hours.I would not use them ever again despite how good an offer would sound.

The set up they used at the time was to confusing.Just how are they still in business.

8. Iria

Iria New Member

My guess is this is a desperation move and too little too late.

9. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

They should really drop the name and start a new broadband company. Just reading AOL anywhere makes me shake. I hate it with a passion.

10. sc3000

sc3000 New Member

I wouldn't install it if they gava ME money, that software is the biggest screw-up in computer history.
    Maby not, but close