Apple fight back - new iPhone 3GS 'Jailbreak Proof'

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 14, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

A few days ago Apple started shipping 3GS iPhones with an updated bootrom (iboot-359.3.2) which apparently blocks the current 24kpwn jailbreak exploit.

This continued battle between Apple and the 'Dev-Team' has been swinging back and forward since the iPhone was released in the V1.0 incarnation. So far Apple has lost every round with the Dev Team quick to release a new version to break the current system. If you don't know the benefits - those phones which have been hacked mean the end users can run a huge list of unapproved iPhone applications.

There is a growing feeling amongst a portion of this underground userbase claiming the new bootrom is unbreakable, but with such a huge community relying on a solution to this current dilemma it does seem to be rather unlikely that a resourceful hacker will not break the new Apple bootrom.

Apple have never been happy letting their hardware function outside of a closed, strictly controlled environment and it is clear they are taking this situation very seriously.

Allan Campbell: Heaven Media

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I think that limiting the choice of software distributor to a single one, owned by no other than the company which made the computing device in this case, is a violation of consumer rights. Also, to the best of my knowledge, despite some effort made in that direction, Apple has failed to prove that "jailbreaking" is illegal. If it is not illegal, than it is alright if a user, who owns the device, does it; it's his right. So the ongoing effort of trying to prevent the user from making certain changes to the device is another violation of consumer rights.

3. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

What's wrong with a "You Break, You Buy" Policy? For instance somebody bricks their iPhone during a jailbreak (And hasn't worked out they can restore it in iTunes) and sends the phone off to be repaired they instantly void their warranty and have to pay the full brunt of repairs regardless of whether it goes to their carrier or to apple?

And besides it doesn't matter what Apple does to "Secure" their phone somebody's gonna break it eventually. All it needs is time, the harder they push to stop the hackers the harder they'll push to keep going

4. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

euh right
    and that kid who jailbreaks phones won't do the same in a couple of hours ?
    please ... this is just like game companies putting in extra super duper security on PC games. They get cracked in 1 hour instead of 45 minutes ... but then the people who buy games at a store suffer with all these installation processes and "limit of 2 installations per month" type of scenarios for some games ... not to mention security software that screws up one's system.

5. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

It'll be broken sooner then later. Apple has a history of being close minded. but they do make extraordinary products. This is probably their way of keeping the riaa off their arse. and other companies that would assume their an open pirate platform, like most other pdas etc these days

6. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

everything is hackable in the end ... even the PS3 one day I suppose
    hacking phones... check
    hacking games... check
    hacking software... duh
    hacking consoles... yep (PS3?)

forget about it..

7. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I think like IVanv said , it is the end customer right , I've bought your phone , you've nothing to do with anything I gotta do with it.Don't be so monopolist apple.

8. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

you have to admit, apple make nice gadgets, and i'm no fanboy (i've never even owned an ipod), and they're obviously good at marketing them; but the fact that they think they have the right to control (and further profit from) what you want to do with them once you've already forked over a considerable amount of money will continue to keep me away from them.